Used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 443 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Stay Away
By Turbo K

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a used 2005 Grand Cherokee with the HEMI and it is the biggest joke on the road, if it ever gets on the road. It is a disgrace to the HEMI and Mopar brand.
I test drove it, and all was great. I bought it, brought it home (20 miles from the dealer), and it promptly died. It took 3 days to get the idiotic thing started again.
Every time you put the key in and try to start it, the language of the display keeps changing. First, it was English. After that, it went to Spanish, German, and what I think was Portuguese. It hasn't gotten back to English, yet.
I set all the setting like the seat position and pedal distance for me, but it keeps flipping back to factory settings.
When trying to get back to the dealership, it sputtered the whole way, and had a horrible rattling ion the back end somewhere.
I would never buy another used one, and it has pretty much soured me to the whole Jeep brand, unless we talk old school 2-door Cherokees and any of the CJs.
This thing is proof that Jeep should have never strayed from its roots. It's like when VW started making water-cooled cars, which are just as worthless.

Rough around the edges
By jeep enthusiast

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Saw this car at a local dealer had 48K on it and ended up trading an 08 wrangler for it. I bought this car with the intention of running it into the ground over the next few years but it doesn't look like it is going to last to much longer. It now has 68K on it a little over a year later and I have had a lot of problems with it. It ran good to start out with but then out of the blue I came to a stop on an off ramp and it stalled out. No warning, no engine light, nothing. This has been an issue ever sense. Dealer doesn't know what is causing it. They have replaced EGR valve and the throttle response censor but the issue and a few others still stand. Other then the stalling the truck shifts rough at times, after putting in drive engine will not rev above 2 grand and act as if it wants to cut out. Engine light code reads cylinder 2 misfire but the dealer doesn't know whats causing the rest. Over all the car is good looking, and mostly comfortable. When running properly the car has plenty of power with the 4.7 V8 and it sounds great. Love all the features.

DONT DO IT! !
By jeremy

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I will never ask anyone to get this kind of vehicle! It was my dream car. I got mines from a dealership, saw car facts, clean title no accidents. Only 1 owner. really nice looking. This vehicle is not worth it. Too many mechanical problems. Once one thing messes up everything messes up! I was very good with keeping up with the car, but not even that could stop it. Out of the 2 1/2 years ive had it ive probably driven it for 8 months. At one point I had it parked for 2 months straight. Towed it to different mechanics not one could figure out what was wrong with it. Spent almost the same amount I paid for it. Fixing it. Its not reliable. It turned off on me 2 times on the hwy going 60. So scary!! Its was to the point where I could only turn it on 2 times a day & that was it. Till the next day it wouldn't turn on. It would stall, battery would drain every other day. I had re wiring done still wouldn't work. Nothing sucked more then getting stuck in traffic because the truck would turn off. It was just too much. I would not recremend this vehicle. Worst decision ever.

Money Pit
By Bill

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Got the Jeep with 75k on it; looked great and ran well until 80 k. Replaced struts,radiator, tune up( 16 plugs!) Trans now jumps into 3rd gear all the time-dealer has no idea what the problem is. Dash lights continually flash , not a bad car but expected more from jeeps flagship.

A dream with a hemi 5.7L
By Joretta

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded an Infiniti FX35 in on this car and haven't regretted one single minute!!!!! I love her!