2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Problematic Vehicle
By carguru12 on 05/25/14 18:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned the truck since it was brand new, and now it has 177,000 miles on it. Recently, the EGR valve had to be replaced, as did the front C/V joint, radiator, and water pump. The transmission is noisy, and gas mileage is horrible. It was a good car when it was new, but has started to show its age.

Biggest Mistake of My Life!
By advoman56 on 09/09/13 16:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

I honestly made a huge mistake buying a Chrysler product. I'm having problem after problem. I'm going back to Toyota or Volvo. Chrysler should shut there doors for there sake. Trash all the way!!

Best car I have ever owned
By sage69 on 03/26/13 09:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am the original owner of my Jeep which now has 180,000 miles on it. It is my third Jeep. As an outside salesman I have driven over 1,000,000 miles in the past 30 years. And this is the most durable car I have ever driven. Besides still having the original brake pads with 40% of their life left, the only "repairs" so far have been a water pump, EGR valve and throttle position sensor. The 3 items were done at 170,000 miles. It took 60,000 miles just to break in the motor which uses not a drop of oil between regular oil changes every 5-6,000 miles. My car has every available option and NOT one thing has malfunctioned in 180,000 miles. You just can't go wrong with this car.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
By bobfabsik on 03/24/13 08:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased the vehicle new. It is a Laredo Rocky Mountain edition with the 4.7L V-8. Shortly after I purchased it, the "Service 4 wheel drive" message appeared. It took the dealer several weeks to resolve the problem. The same error message still occasionally occurs, but the vehicle operates fine. Gas mileage is 10-12 city and 14-18 highway. For the last 3 years, the car has been in Mexico. The roads are very rough an dusty. The car is holding up exceptionally well. A recent problem is a noise near the rear axle. Otherwise, all is well at 66K miles.

2005 Jeep GC with 5.7
By stoppy3 on 02/23/13 07:19 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Worst automobile I have ever owned. So many problems ranging from axle isolators (second repair)to interior parts such as door panels (all of them) breaking, vent tabs falling off, nav system inoperative (2nd unit), window switches inop on driver door, front driveshaft replaced, brake calipers froze up, Try replacing a starter as you will need to grow two additional hands to help. Can't say much good about this automobile. Even the resale value stinks.

Not Recommended :(
By carguru12 on 02/20/13 13:36 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned this Jeep since it was brand new. The performance is great on the V8, as is the features we have (leather, navigation, DVD, satellite radio) but we take great care of our vehicles, and unfortunately this generation of Grand Cherokee has held up the worst of all of the ones we've owned (we've owned three out of the four generations of Grand Cherokee). The center console lid is worn, the rear DVD headphones broke, etc. They claim it is "quieter than a Jaguar S-Type 3.0", but the transmission is quite noisy. I don't recommend this generation of Grand Cherokee.

Limited Hemi
By bradyd on 02/14/13 07:50 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love my Jeep. Had some problems right away when we bought it. We bought the $200 deductible warranty which came in handy. Had to rebuild the rear differential and fix the cruise control wiring. Now it has the famous "Service 4 Wheel Drive System" message but not worrying about fixing that. It pulls my 16' boat like nothing and never downshits going up hills. Get's great mpg. 19 on freeway and 21 at 60 mph. Hemi is the way to go.

Solid, powerful Jeep 4x4
By jhbremer on 09/07/12 07:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my Jeep in February 2012. It was a pretty good find, given it's age...only 34k miles on it when purchased. Rocky Mountain Edition (nice wheels, leather, sunroof, power everything, heated seats, Boston Acoustics). I've put 15k miles on it since I bought it...with ZERO problems. The only thing I can think of was I got a warning about my 4x4 system for about 3 minutes while on the highway, but nothing since. Handles well for an SUV, plenty of power (love the torque from the 4.7L), and gas mileage isn't terrible (I can get 20-21 on the highway). Very pleased with this Jeep.

Thi CAR SUCKS!
By dvang on 02/18/12 14:49 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This car is a pile of Sh**! I have had so much electrical problems on this car that i don't even know what to do anymore. Spent so much $ at the STEALERSHIP and still has problems. The dealership loves it when you bring your car in. All they do is plug in the scanning device, read the error code, and tell you how much its gonna cost to replace the part. The error code might not even be the main problem. Ive seen it when error codes start changing after you replace the part that it told you to. Then your down $2-3000s and the problems not even fixed. There could be some kind of computer error and its just punching out random codes. JEEP SUCKS and STEALERSHIP SUCKS! DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very poor design
By richardp71 on 02/09/12 16:43 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The door handles are built into the whole inside panel, and they are brittle. so we have a 05 limited with the HEMI 5.8L 2 door handle have broken, 3rd on way out. and looking at 700+ per door. 99% of cars have the handle seperate, why the heck they choice this design i dont know, but its poorly done. there was talk they were going to recall this online, but to thi date they havent and refuse to help with this. DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!