2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Brake rotors

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Brake rotors
By RSCoyner on

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first effort to return to a traditional "American" car after 30 years of buying foreign. I had read that the reliability of "American" cars had improved significantly and nearly equaled that of Japanese. My Jeep evidenced good quality and reliability until it reached 10,000 miles. It then developed problems, such as the need to repair the brake rotors. This was a common problem at this mileage level with older Jeeps, but I thought it had been remedied. Chrysler/Jeep previously warranted them for 3 yrs/36,000 mi. Now apparently the warranty expires at 1 yr/12,000 mi, leaving the consumer with some expensive repairs every 10,000-12,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Except for the reliability problem, I like the Jeep very much. Unfortunately, reliability is important to me, so I would not buy another Chrysler product.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability of vehicles after they reach the 1 yr/12,000 mi level and extend the warranty on items like brake rotors to a minimum of 3 yrs/36,000 mi.