2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: Blah

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Laredo 4dr SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Blah
By m_family on

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ok we have had this thing for a few years now, thought that the 4.0 and the hard to find 2wd "Select Track" would give us some ok returns in MPG....yea....NOT. Some are saying they are getting decent milage but we get 15mpg NO MATTER WHAT! My Charger R/T is turning about 400 HP at the crank right now and I get 25mpg with THAT! What the HECK! Ive tried EVERYTHING and I work on cars quite regularly including major repairs so Im no slouch on a vehicle. The window cables are junk too, replaced 2 of them. Otherwise its not a bad suv, its just GUTTLESS as a dead horse. Dont expect the 4.0 to have the power to get out of its own way. V8 is the ONLY way to go, gets better MPG in these too....

Favorite Features

4X4 is VERY strong, this thing will go through everything you want it to and then some, just not real fast! Like I said I have the 4.0 and in 4wheel LOW you can barely hold the vehicle in place with the brakes...it has THAT much tourque. The full locking diff is REAL nice. Sterio is ok. The engine warms up fast and puts out heat real quick in the winter and AC is coldest Ive ever seen.

Suggested Improvements

They need a bit better option for the fold down seats....its kinda lame and doesnt fold down all the way flat. The window cables need to be stronger, Ive replaced 2 of them. The suspension is a bit soft. Oh a BIG issue is the hood struts are rediculous...they work in the summer but not in the winter.