A very happy repeat Jeep buyer!
By Mike W. on
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)
This is my 7th Jeep vehicle, and 5th Grand Cherokee. The common complaint of the windows not working and/or the interior lights not shutting off is a simple broken ground wire in the driver's door harness. Took me 10 minutes to fix. Overall, I'm very pleased with this Jeep, although some things have not lasted as long as older models I've owned, namely, the hood supports failed at 50k, all 4 shocks leaking at 60k, and rear axle seals at 70k. Other than that, it's been rock-solid reliable. Fuel mileage is outstanding for an engine whose roots date back to the early 1960s. By the way, it's an inline 6, not a V6 as some reviewers have written. I would and do recommend the Grand Cherokee!
Favorite Features
Torquey inline 6 gets the job done just fine, and without any modern gimmickry. 4WD system is outstanding (Selec-Trac). Solid axle front/rear suspension is simple and durable. Jeep tended to stick with what works, rather than change for the sake of change or lure in buyers with bells and whistles.
Suggested Improvements
Where are my grease zerks? All the front end parts are sealed! This is a "planned failure" in my opinion, and something recently changed, as even my '01 Cherokee had lubrication points for the front end parts. Suggested improvements is a moot point since the new body style came out the next year