Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

A Durable, Do-Anything SUV
By Andrew F.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

First Jeep I have owned and I have to say it's been a pleasure. Purchased pre-owned w/ 52K miles. Have had no major maintenance issues in 3+ years and going strong with just over 90K miles on it. We have 2 kids and 2 dogs and the Jeep (w/ a Thule box on roof) is a great sized vehicle that can go ANYWHERE!..and in comfort too. Great power, very comfortable, looks cool, drives great and very reliable. Love it, and will definitely consider replacing it w/ another Jeep someday.

Favorite Features

Power on-tap! Looks nice and drives great. Very comfortable on long road trips.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter cabin (road and wind noise), Better fuel economy (but is expected w/ full-time AWD)

Love my Jeep
By Texas Dan

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My first Jeep was a CJ5. Big difference between the two of them. I loved the '5' for it's ability to climb and maneuver in tight places. I love this one for it's comfort creatures.

Favorite Features

This Grand Cherokee is loaded. I sit a bit higher, which helps me see what's coming up a few cars ahead of me. Comfort is excellent. The 4.7L has all the torque I'll ever use.

Suggested Improvements

More safety features...like airbags. Side bags in both front and back.

Big Improvement
By Luke

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have to say that I'm overall impressed with the Gran. Cher. Laredo. I've read alot of reviews on these Jeeps and some of them are way too critical. Although I also have a ticking noise when I start it, the ticking goes away after 5 min. or so. I think if the buyers would let the thing warm up in the mornin' they would see the same results. I love the way it drives compared to every SUV I've drove or even ridden in. It's so comfortable, my girlfriend and I drove 18 hours to Dallas and she slept 3/4 of the way. Plus it averaged 21mpg @ 75mph. I guess what I'm trying to say is the Jeep has come a long way, and on that I think we can all agree.

Favorite Features

Stylish Interior & Exterior, Handles Great, Powerful V-6, & Great Sound System

Suggested Improvements

All models should come with a hitch & ticking noise in motor

Im liking it
By chad

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Canadian version of the freedom, Its called the ROCKY MOUNTAIN. Ive owned a few suvs in my life and I must say, I really like the looks of this generation of jeep, Its interior is pretty boring, The seats are comfy, There is plenty of room. Its 4x4 system is immaculate. I drive it in lots of deep snow. I bought Nokian tires, they can't be beat, Its steering is incredible, The reliability is so far pretty good. No problems except a minor pin hole leak in a emissions tube. It cold starts great in bad temperatures, Lighting is good. High way and city driving is a pleasure, It feels rough and tough, I think it'll be around for awhile yet to come. I suggest this jeep to buyers.

Favorite Features

Comfort, Steering, 4X4 Capabilities, Exterior styling, chrome tow hooks front and back. Interior room. Ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Better interiors, Less wind noise, Less engine noise in cabin, Better headlights, Better gas mileage

Windows
By Ariel

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very bad manufacturing, no Wonder people don't buy American, had to change the Windows regulators in 3 of the four doors, also the front drive train had to be change already, the control for the fan broke at around 30,000 miles, will never buy another vehicle from this company again and I will not recommend this vehicle to anybody.