Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Biggest "HEAP" ever
By Worst Buy Ever!!!

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I hardly even drive this car and it has had every problem in the book: brake failure, electrical, transmission, and oil tank leaks and ALL before 50,000 Miles. It is weak and has horrible handling. The dealership charges WAY too much for service and it feels like I'm driving a motor home. It is way too hard to maneuver in traffic and you feel like your going to tip over on every turn!! resell value was HORRIBLE! Save yourself the trouble and don't buy a jeep!! this is the first and last time I will buy an American car, back to Japanese auto makers

Favorite Features

Handles decent when off roading.

decent
By Tyre

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have an 04 Jeep standard 6 cyl. When I first got the car I was siked! But for some reason I've noticed that the breaks squeal, and when you turn or go over a bump, it almost everytime feels like you'll do a rollover going around a bin at 40 mph, which isn't good. :(

Favorite Features

the standard sound system, size of the jeep.

Suggested Improvements

better stability control, anti-roll bars, sway bars, wood grain interior, leather pattened steering wheel, sunroof, and def a V8! V6 is too slow for a jeep this size

Great Jeep!!
By Jon

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned Jeep's in the Past and like all their models. Read some of the other owners reviews, I did want to clear one thing up, People it is a In-line 6 cyl. not a V6, Big Difference and was the only reason why I purchased my '04 as 2004 was the last year they offered the I-6 engine. That engine has been around for years and is bullet proof. Great in Michigan snow and off road. Very comfortable, nearing 80,000 miles and just doing regular maintenance. Will Definatley buy another Jeep and Only a Jeep! My Ex-Wife bought a $80,000 Landrover, what a piece of junk, that thing has had nothing but issues. Love rolling up in the Jeep when her car is in the shop!!

Favorite Features

Chick's dig the Jeep! Great ride, love the heated seats too!!

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything to improve on.

Window regulators
By Frank

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had to replace the window regulators in my 2004 Jeep Grand Cher. Laredo once,but guess what,I'm going to have to re-place 4 of them again. I'll never buy another Jeep Cherokee and will never recommend them to anyone else. These things cost a lot of money, which I cannot afford.

Favorite Features

Interior-appearance

Suggested Improvements

Replace the window regulators for customers that have had problems. Chrysler knows there is a quality problem in the electrical design or the regulators.

Traded my Baby on Saturday 7/18/2009
By John D

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Only complaint, right arm rest got a dip worn into it from my elbow from so much driving. Didn't get off road as much as I wanted, but when I did, it got me there and back in great style. The only time it didn't start, was the day I traded it. ($600 repair) I was exceptionally pleased with how it got me through heavy snows in PA, stuck with the road in heavy rain, easy maneuvering, great sound system. But tended to feel cramped with a family of four, loaded for vacation. Open road, got 23 MPG...in DC traffic, just 13 MPG. Right now, it's being prepped for re-sale. This Jeep was fun to camp with, and for day-fishing trips.

Favorite Features

I liked the 10 disc CD changer...great sounding system. Wonderful in the snow! Only one mechanical problem-on the day I traded it in, in 5 years! This Jeep did good and gave me a comforting feeling of safety the whole way through. I hope the next owner enjoys this one like I did.

Suggested Improvements

There are some late-mileage issues that would need to be repaired, just as a factor of the mileage. I'm sure the dealer, with their reputation, will have them resolved before it gets to the lot for re-sale. The Jeep itself is in great shape, and it came with virtually all the bells and whistles.