2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Sort Reviews by

All Around Great Jeep
By High Output

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great SUV! The H.O. motor is fun and reliable. The car is great for someone who wants an around town SUV but knows that they can take it off road to. Car acts just as good if not better when off the road. The H.O. motor is also good to have for trailers. Overall a great car.

Favorite Features

Motor, navigation, leather, body look.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension to accomadate normal driving. Drop DVD based navigation.

Good experience
By Ness

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My experience was very pleasant. Although it consumes a lot of gas. It is a great car that many people told me not to get because it was American, but the truth is that in my 3 years owning it, I haven't needed to do any repair to it

Favorite Features

4WD and the excellent suspension. You feel like riding on air.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower

Great Car
By jeepcrazy

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great car! The interior is nice, but not lavish or overbearing in its accessories. Good engine, the 4.0L will get you where you want to go while not being horrible on gas millege like the 4.7L or 4.7LHO. I would highly reccomend a Grand Cherokee Columbia Edition to anyone who was searching for a vehicle.

Freedom
By David V

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Jeep screams! The HO engine is an unexpected pleasure at any stop light. Merging onto a highway is a dream. You often forget that you are in a Jeep.

Favorite Features

Drivability

Suggested Improvements

The Freedom should come with leather seats.

I love it but...
By ES

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love the truck but it does have a few hitches. On the transition from one gear to another you can hear and feel the grind of the gears. You must apply just the right gas pressure or none at all to make it through without an issue. And man, wow, guzzles gas. But the most comfortable ride I have even been blessed to ride in. Wonderful feel and a lot of fun options make this the best car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the comfortable seats. I hate taking long rides because my backside gets numb and pin and needles, the whole nine yards. Not in this car. I could drive for 15 hours straight, and have, no lie, and not be uncomfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission. Please.

Gotta love Jeeps
By SarahSmile

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just traded my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 for a 2004 model. I owned the first for 3 years and loved it! Drives beautifully and is the perfect size. I did have to take it back to the dealer because of the rotors but they fixed them for free. I don't like the brake dust that gets all over the rims and I guess this is a common problem for the model. Other than that it is great.

Favorite Features

It is powerful in the snow. When I put it in 4 wheel drive it powers through anything Ohio winters throw at me. I love the size, it feels sturdy and substantial yet is easy to park and maneuver. I test drove an Explorer and it was a nightmare to maneuver.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot think of any. Great SUV!

cool looks, but noisy!
By Jeep Mama

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Jeep Grand Cherokee. it is reliable and comfortable with great looks. I only have a problem with the build quality. The Jeep is only three years old, and the brakes squeal quite a bit. Also, the seals around the second row windows are already coming loose (even though I always park in the garage) resulting in a whistling noise on the highway.

Favorite Features

The nice, sporty look, and the really comfortable bucket seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better window seals, the steering wheel started to fade after a year of ownership, and quieter, more durable brakes. But Daimler Chrysler also has a history of noisy brakes!

Can't believe how much I love this ride!
By Gina

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

After owning Mazdas for the better half of my driving history, I decided to trade in my very sporty 3s for a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. To my complete surprise, I don't miss my Mazda AT ALL! I did not realize how well built these vehicles really are and how comfortable and fun to drive it is. I just love everything about this Jeep. Handles wonderfully off road and street driving is quiet, controlled and sturdy like a luxury vehicle. I can only hope this Jeep will give me many years of reliability just like I know the Mazda would have. Drove over my first snow bank yesterday. Ok, it was only about 18 inches high, but nevertheless, fun as heck. Now I know the Mazda couldn't have done that! Only in a Jeep!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, sleek body design, Overhead climate controls, easy to reach controls and overall handling capability.

Suggested Improvements

Larger glove box, passenger side power seats, better sound quality in the stock stereo, gas mileage....agggh...20 bucks only got me half a tank.

Beware of heated seats, WILL CATCH FIRE!
By jeepguy2007

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my fourth Jeep vehicle and I have been so happy with the first three but this one has left me disappointed. The heated seat caught fire and burned a hole in the seat and I am still waiting on Chrysler to fix it. Having a huge burn hole in the seat of an expensive vehicle I just bought is something that is VERY disturbing to me and makes me not want to even be in it. Also, I just have noticed cheapness in the interior. It is fun to drive and the Quadra Drive 4-Wheel Drive system is nice. I have the navigation system and it has been useful. Steering in this one doesn't feel as tight as my it did in my '99. This may be my last domestic SUV for awhile. I may give the Murano a try.

Favorite Features

V8, Quadra Drive, 17" Chrome wheels, Overall design.

Suggested Improvements

Get the heated seats right. Someone could have been injured in this vehicle when the seat CAUGHT FIRE! BEWARE! Check to see if you vehicle has been recalled for this and make sure dealership does the work.

2ND TIME AROUND.
By C.T.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just purchased 04 JGC Laredo after putting on a whopping 325K (yes you read right!)on my 98 GC(original motor and trani...).I searched for a while to find the 6cyl with lower miles.Anyone who claims that these vehicles are not reliable,I'd strongly argue.My 98 went through regular maintenence and never left me stranded on the road(i travel in upstate NY,and New England as a sales rep.).Of note. I kept the trani. serviced very regularly as i found that to be real helpful with the overall performance. My 04's ride feels a bit smoother,and more refined than 98, and definately felt better than 05-06 model.Looking forward to putting another 300k on this one!

Favorite Features

Heat and A/C Work perfectly,Flat fold down seats,Descent Audio,Temp/Compass read-out.

Suggested Improvements

re-styled center console,and armrest on doors(they cracked and became very uncomfortable.)