Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

115,000 miles and going strong
By Russ Archer

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo new in 2004. It was a V8 demo model with less than 1,000 miles. I got a great deal on it because it was a demo and because of a $6,000 cash incentive. I've driven it now for over five years and have put an average of 23,000 miles per year on it, mostly highway. I had the shocks replaced at around 50,000 miles and all four axle seals replaced at about 70,000 miles. Actually, the rear ones were the only ones leaking but I thought I'd better go ahead and have them all replaced. Other than those two issues, it has been surprisingly reliable. Major services were done at 30K, 70K, and 100K and I did most oil changes myself every 3K to 5K miles.

The 4.8 L V8 is smooth, powerful, and surprisingly fuel efficient. I average 22-23 mpg highway in summer and 20 mpg highway in winter. The Quadra Trac II four-wheel drive is great in the wet and on snow & ice and performs flawlessly. I've never needed to lock it in low despite foot deep snow.

None that I can think of. I'm very impressed with my Laredo's reliability, performance, and fuel mileage given that it is a typical big SUV. I'm never getting rid of it!

Problems
By Jason

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm having problems with my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The power windows don't work and the interior lights wont go off when headlights are on. It doesn't even seem like my 4 wheel drive even works. My mirrors wont work,everything is powered. I had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Now that was a beautiful suv! Until a tree falls on it and totals it.I love Jeep but not sure about these problems.It may even be the dealships fault. Who knows.....

electric seats,power windows,heats up fast,4 wheel drive,exterior look,interior look,good stock stereo

mp3 hook up to radio,no sunroof on mine,i want a sunroof

problem already
By dentman09

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle when it came to my bodyshop for some paint work, did a carfax and it was a 1 owner with low mileage, very clean, ran fine for two days, then the oil pressure gauge kept going on and off. I presume it needs an oil pump at 55,000 miles.Not happy.

looks,drivibility,comfort,comfort,comfort

I bought mine new
By Ingram

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have never done anything to it other than put one set of tires, one battery, and changed the oil. Great car.

Extended Warrenty Was a Waste of Money
By dylan

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 G.C. in 07 with about 63k on it. I now have just over 100k on it and haven't had a problem that I would consider to be beyond routine maintenance. Don't let all these people scare you talking about the window regulators going bad, it is a problem but not a big deal. I had 1 go it cost me $90 and put it in myself in 30 min. What do you want- stuff will go bad on any car. The 6 cyl. is a bit sluggish when pulling a trailer but I doubt any other 6 cylinder in the same class could fair much better with 3000 lbs. behind it. You look at 90% of the complaints on here and there just a bunch of people that expect a vehicle to never have a problem. I would recommend a jeep to anyone.

Very reliable. The Quatro Track and ABS system will start, stop and keep you in control of the vehicle through 12-16 inches of snow, trust me I've done it many times. The audio, comfort and all those little features makes it a great vehicle for a long road trip. I love the heated seats.

There is a little road and wind noise when driving down the interstate, nothing I can't deal with but some people may not like it. I wish I would have gotten the v-8 over the 6 cyl. But it does get the job done. Honestly I can't think of another thing I would change, its really a great vehicle.