2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
A very happy repeat Jeep buyer!
By Mike W. on 04/29/10 21:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 7th Jeep vehicle, and 5th Grand Cherokee. The common complaint of the windows not working and/or the interior lights not shutting off is a simple broken ground wire in the driver's door harness. Took me 10 minutes to fix. Overall, I'm very pleased with this Jeep, although some things have not lasted as long as older models I've owned, namely, the hood supports failed at 50k, all 4 shocks leaking at 60k, and rear axle seals at 70k. Other than that, it's been rock-solid reliable. Fuel mileage is outstanding for an engine whose roots date back to the early 1960s. By the way, it's an inline 6, not a V6 as some reviewers have written. I would and do recommend the Grand Cherokee!

electrical issues
By dansss on 02/13/10 11:45 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This jeep is great when it comes to driving in the snow. It's not bad around town, it looks great in dark grey. I have had some issues with the electrical system though. The pass. side taillight keeps going out and none of the windows go up or down. I feel they could have done a better job on the electrical system.

2004 grand cherokee ltd V8 HO
By nz on 02/01/10 17:48 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my vehicle at 30,000 miles as a one owner lease return. I've absolutely loved this vehicle, the interior is very comfortable, the engine has tremendous power (which I love) and it's been the picture of reliability. I have several colleagues who all have jeeps during this bodystyle and most if not all of them have had only limited even standard maintenance. Several have over 130k with no new engines, transmissions, nothing beyond routine maintenance. The four wheel drive (mine is always on) feels amazing, and during cold weather I pity the other White-knuckled drivers on the road.

115,000 miles and going strong
By Russ Archer on 12/28/09 18:44 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo new in 2004. It was a V8 demo model with less than 1,000 miles. I got a great deal on it because it was a demo and because of a $6,000 cash incentive. I've driven it now for over five years and have put an average of 23,000 miles per year on it, mostly highway. I had the shocks replaced at around 50,000 miles and all four axle seals replaced at about 70,000 miles. Actually, the rear ones were the only ones leaking but I thought I'd better go ahead and have them all replaced. Other than those two issues, it has been surprisingly reliable. Major services were done at 30K, 70K, and 100K and I did most oil changes myself every 3K to 5K miles.

Problems
By Jason on 12/17/09 14:00 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm having problems with my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. The power windows don't work and the interior lights wont go off when headlights are on. It doesn't even seem like my 4 wheel drive even works. My mirrors wont work,everything is powered. I had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Now that was a beautiful suv! Until a tree falls on it and totals it.I love Jeep but not sure about these problems.It may even be the dealships fault. Who knows.....

problem already
By dentman09 on 11/12/09 13:43 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle when it came to my bodyshop for some paint work, did a carfax and it was a 1 owner with low mileage, very clean, ran fine for two days, then the oil pressure gauge kept going on and off. I presume it needs an oil pump at 55,000 miles.Not happy.

I bought mine new
By Ingram on 10/30/09 13:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have never done anything to it other than put one set of tires, one battery, and changed the oil. Great car.

Extended Warrenty Was a Waste of Money
By dylan on 10/13/09 23:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 G.C. in 07 with about 63k on it. I now have just over 100k on it and haven't had a problem that I would consider to be beyond routine maintenance. Don't let all these people scare you talking about the window regulators going bad, it is a problem but not a big deal. I had 1 go it cost me $90 and put it in myself in 30 min. What do you want- stuff will go bad on any car. The 6 cyl. is a bit sluggish when pulling a trailer but I doubt any other 6 cylinder in the same class could fair much better with 3000 lbs. behind it. You look at 90% of the complaints on here and there just a bunch of people that expect a vehicle to never have a problem. I would recommend a jeep to anyone.

Biggest "HEAP" ever
By Worst Buy Ever!!! on 10/06/09 15:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I hardly even drive this car and it has had every problem in the book: brake failure, electrical, transmission, and oil tank leaks and ALL before 50,000 Miles. It is weak and has horrible handling. The dealership charges WAY too much for service and it feels like I'm driving a motor home. It is way too hard to maneuver in traffic and you feel like your going to tip over on every turn!! resell value was HORRIBLE! Save yourself the trouble and don't buy a jeep!! this is the first and last time I will buy an American car, back to Japanese auto makers

decent
By Tyre on 09/22/09 20:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have an 04 Jeep standard 6 cyl. When I first got the car I was siked! But for some reason I've noticed that the breaks squeal, and when you turn or go over a bump, it almost everytime feels like you'll do a rollover going around a bin at 40 mph, which isn't good. :(