2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews 2

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Beautiful, powerful, but frequently in the shop
By costeld on 06/02/12 14:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Until the 2011 Grand Cherokee was released I thought the 2004 was the best looking year of the best looking bodystyle. Has robust suspension and agressive approach and departure angles for offroading (though most are just daily commuters). Interior on the Overland was very nice and had unique styling. Nice engine/exhaust note, felt more powerful and faster than its 265 bhp rating. Good towing ability: 5000 lbs hardly noticable.

2004 Rocky Mountain Edition Grand Cherokee
By vatowerman on 08/27/11 12:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Rocky Mountain Edition as a dealer demo. Fully loaded with all options except the navigation system. It is a Jeep - meaning that it has its quirks and faults. That being said; I wouldn't own anything else. I use this vehicle for my job which is building cell towers in extremely remote and rural areas such as mountain top sites. This Grand Cherokee has never left me stranded and no major problems. But keep in mind that a Jeep does need constant maintenance and care. It is not a Honda or a Toyota that you can abuse and not have any consequences. Flush the tranny every 30k, flush the cooling system every 30k, change out the differential and transfer case fluids every 40k.

Going strong
By ibuyamerican on 08/08/11 18:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 5th Chrysler product, my 2nd GC and 3rd jeep. Purchased it with 122,000 miles on it. The interior is quite luxurious, the paint is in excellent condition, engine compartment is clean. This GC is the Rocky Mountain edition. We looked at Suburus, Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas and Fords. In the end this used GC fit the bill for us. Everything else was way overpriced for the year and features. The 4.0L is a reliable engine, everything seems to function well. For the money we couldn't find a better value. When it's time for repairs we know we won't pay an arm and a leg for parts since most of this jeep comes from the USA. We just finished an 800 mile road trip no issues.

Limited 4.7 V8 4x4
By brianm929 on 05/23/11 18:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been an excellent vehicle for me. Bought it at 50,000 kms and am selling at 140,000 kms. The engine has been excellent. I had one small oil leak which was fixed on warrant. The seat heaters had to be replaced twice on recall. My number one complaint has been the HVAC blend doors. I have had those break and replaced twice. Not cheap. Other than that this has been a great vehicle. It's solid and really has had very few issues except those darned blend doors. This is my second and I'm buying my third.

I loved my Jeep!
By madeline_86 on 02/16/11 10:04 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my jeep! This suv was very reliable and I felt safe driving in it! I don't have any complaints about it. Before I traded it in, I only had to get oil changes on it! It was dependable and drove really nicely, especially in the snow!

Blah
By m_family on 02/15/11 09:36 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ok we have had this thing for a few years now, thought that the 4.0 and the hard to find 2wd "Select Track" would give us some ok returns in MPG....yea....NOT. Some are saying they are getting decent milage but we get 15mpg NO MATTER WHAT! My Charger R/T is turning about 400 HP at the crank right now and I get 25mpg with THAT! What the HECK! Ive tried EVERYTHING and I work on cars quite regularly including major repairs so Im no slouch on a vehicle. The window cables are junk too, replaced 2 of them. Otherwise its not a bad suv, its just GUTTLESS as a dead horse. Dont expect the 4.0 to have the power to get out of its own way. V8 is the ONLY way to go, gets better MPG in these too....

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo
By canicem on 02/14/11 23:18 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Jeep new, my first, based upon my mechanic brother recommendation for a solid family car that can handle bad roads, bad weather, etc. So far I have 123,000 miles on her, from California to Canada, to Mexico and back. I have had to replace the tires 2x, the front and rear brake rotors and pads once, the shocks once, both tail light assemblies, hood lift rods. The engine makes a ticking sound now, has since about 110,000 when she's cold, which quiets down when the engine warms up. The interior still looks great, although I have replaced floor mats twice. The car has made weird clunking sounds since new, which has never presented a problem

Unreliable
By George on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the 2004 GC Overland in 2006 with 27,000. I have had nothing but issues with this unit. Brake rotors (at 27k), all 4 window motors, seat heaters, ac had to be replaced, seat motors, the roof was rusting, power steering pump.. the list goes on..you name it. I loved the vehicle when I purchased it but let me warn you, these are a maintenance nightmare. Avoid Jeep, I have spent over 5k in repairs over the years (most happened right after the 36k warranty expired.) I gladly traded this nightmare in for a Toyota, my first foreign car. (I previously bought from the big three however cant risk or afford another situation like this.) To hell with Jeep and Chrysler!

Loved my Jeep, but
By Tim on 08/18/10 17:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Jeep. Here's why. Previously, I had a '94 Grand Cherokee with the I-6 engine. That lasted us 12 years before I sold it and bought my '04 (in '06), and the last several years that I'd owned the '04, I'd had a 3500 lb. boat to pull. it was a dog. But, my '04, with the V8, was AWESOME for towing. It was so much fun to drive, too. But, in the end, the reliability killed me. I had to replace the power window mechanism on 3 of the 4 doors, the body was starting to rust (at 6 years of age), and I'd had to replace a front wheel bearing. If not for the rust, I probably would have kept it, but today I drove home my new (to me) Honda Pilot. 16 years of owing JGC's, over, sigh.

Great Truck
By THH963 on 08/14/10 08:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee used w/approx 47,000 miles on it & traded it in 3 1/2 later with approx 84,000 miles on it. I put new Firestone Destination tires on it & got it aligned right after purchase. Got new rear brakes @ approx 70,000 miles & replaced front & rear shocks @ 74,500 miles. Aside above I have only done regular service checks. The truck has been great & reliable (drove it from NY to CA) experience. It is much more comfortable than I'd ever expected, even after 14 hours of driving. By now, anyone buying a V8 Jeep should know about it's 15 mpg gas mileage, quit complaining that's not why you buy a Jeep & same with the brakes. Not the best, but they stop you.