Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Door harness quality!!!
By bobberg1

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Door harness done three times. Once @ 35,000 miles (warranty), at 70,000 miles ( They covered it although I didn't have a extended warranty ) and again at 117,000. I had to pay for this one at $780. Had ten problems resolved under the warranty within 36000 miles, including replacement of alumium wheels,rear seals as mentioned in various reviews and tape deck. Went through three sets of Goodyear original equipment tires in 75,000 miles, despite having the alienment done every 6000 miles. I love the car for the ride but the cost of maintaining leaves much to be desired.

Jeep From Marty Cancila
By jae_grayer

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My jeep is amazing. It runs very good without any problems. The interior is nice! Exterior is even better. It is a fun to drive vehicle. The whole performance of the car is great. Grab a Jeep or test drive one and you'll see.

Good SUV!
By beekmanta1

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2004 since 2006. Bought with 85k miles and now have over 172k miles. Only minor repairs during life of vehicle so far. Very comfortable, performance lacking big time but isn't a V8, MPG awful! Probably get 12-14 MPG on average. Most get is 18MPG hwy but with very conservative driving. Only major repairs is a transmission solenoid about 450 at 160k miles, fuel pump at 90k miles (ran the gas too low for a long period of time my own fault). Other than that change all fluids when your supposed to and has been a good reliable vehicle for me.

Favorite Features

Seats are very comfortable, no noises or squeeks for an 04 with over 170k miles still a quite comfy ride. Biggest complaint that I hear is the transmission is aweful, I have found that it seems most people misdiagnose any trans issues and could be a cheaper fix than you think. Just need a trustworthy mechanic and do a lot of research yourself before just dropping off to a trans repair shop, of course they will tell you need a new trans.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is boring but, I regularly wash and clean my vehicle still looks almost new inside, is boring but has held up very well. People are always amazed how clean new looking my 04 is, replacing your headlamps also will improve the looks.

Always something broken on this jeep
By kg89

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

All I did was pay to repair this thing. Faulty radiator, brake calipers, two engine fans, ignition coil, camshaft sensor, wiring harness, engine computer, engine oil cap broke off and oil had to be put in through the dipstick shaft, power window motors, bad adhesive on insulation on all the doors led to many wet seats after rainy nights. And my personal favorite, the drivers seat became a rocking chair after becoming completely detached from the track. This car was always broken. Not to mention the terrible gas mileage, which I would have been fine with if it were not for the constant cost of repairs. It ended up costing me more money to repair it than it did to buy it in the first place.

Favorite Features

4wd was a blast, and got me through some brutal snowstorms. The seats folded down in the back made for a very cozy space for two with a blanket. Very comfy, just park it and open the liftgate and you got a spot for you and some buddies to sit and drink beers at a tailgate.

Suggested Improvements

Very unreliable, was broken in every possible way. Very poor build quality. door panels were very cheap and came detached from the doors, same goes for insulation. This Jeep eventually started choking and sputtering and shutting off at red lights and stop signs before she died. I sold her for junk and got a honda crv, so far a way smoother ride and way better fuel economy.

2004 GC Laredo (4.0L I6)
By pghegseth

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Previously owned a '96 Laredo 4x4 (purchased in 2000) and loved it. Perhaps the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 240,000 miles with only minor maintenance and still eating up miles (my son has it now). I bought the 2004 Laredo twelve years later to replace it, I had to have the indestructable I6 engine! Very pleased with it so far. It rides more comfortably than my old Jeep and looks sharper (Silver with black trim and a dark grey interior). If it holds up as well as my previous Jeep Laredo I will be most pleased. Maintenance is just a fact of life in all vehicles, regardless of make /model. If you're fortunate (like I was), it all minor maintenance and wearable parts.

Favorite Features

I live in Rural Minnesota and driving in deep snow is a fact of life. My Jeep handles this environment well... never got stuck!

Suggested Improvements

The front stablizer joints an both my Laredo Jeeps failed causing the front tires to wear unevenly and (of course) shake a lot at speeds over 45 MPH. It happened to another Jeep owner I know as well. It's an easy repair but seems too prevalent a problem to not be pervasive. A better design would be beneficial.