115,000 miles and going strong
By Russ Archer on
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)
I bought my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo new in 2004. It was a V8 demo model with less than 1,000 miles. I got a great deal on it because it was a demo and because of a $6,000 cash incentive. I've driven it now for over five years and have put an average of 23,000 miles per year on it, mostly highway. I had the shocks replaced at around 50,000 miles and all four axle seals replaced at about 70,000 miles. Actually, the rear ones were the only ones leaking but I thought I'd better go ahead and have them all replaced. Other than those two issues, it has been surprisingly reliable. Major services were done at 30K, 70K, and 100K and I did most oil changes myself every 3K to 5K miles.
Favorite Features
The 4.8 L V8 is smooth, powerful, and surprisingly fuel efficient. I average 22-23 mpg highway in summer and 20 mpg highway in winter. The Quadra Trac II four-wheel drive is great in the wet and on snow & ice and performs flawlessly. I've never needed to lock it in low despite foot deep snow.
Suggested Improvements
None that I can think of. I'm very impressed with my Laredo's reliability, performance, and fuel mileage given that it is a typical big SUV. I'm never getting rid of it!