2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Happy with JEEP
By RSG on 07/11/06 21:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Former Nissan Altima owner for many years. I decided to finally get an SUV and couldn't resist the look and feel of the Jeep Grand Cherokee (4.7 v8). Jeep has a great smooth ride with excellent handling. I haven't taken if off road as of yet but can tell you it handles well both in highway (65 plus mph) and city driving. Interior is very nice compared to others. Some suggestions - larger glove box & change the center console to something a little more user friendly. I was disappointed within the first week I had to replace a faulty chip (car wouldn't drive) but that can happen with any car. I did have to replace the front brakes at 35k but I hear that is standard with Jeep.

Reliability Questionable
By Suzanne on 04/10/06 14:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have really loved owning my Grand Cherokee but every time I take it for an oil change it costs me money. Nothing seems to be covered under warranty. Hoping I didn't make a mistake.

Rough, Rough Idle
By Paul on 04/06/06 11:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This will be my 4th Jeep and last. Purchased new and ran great for first 10,000 miles. Started to have rough idle problem when in drive. Had 4 different dealers work on it with no luck. They just say V8's idle rough in this vehicle because idle RPM is set too low for lower emissions. Can't change computer settings. What bull! If buying this vehicle used, look for one with at least 15,000 miles. This idle problem does not set in until later. Very smooth running V8 but idle at red lights or traffic a joke. Passengers will ask you whats wrong with your car? Brakes also need frequent work. Only buy this vehicle with a power driver seat.

Brake rotors
By RSCoyner on 12/06/05 10:51 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first effort to return to a traditional "American" car after 30 years of buying foreign. I had read that the reliability of "American" cars had improved significantly and nearly equaled that of Japanese. My Jeep evidenced good quality and reliability until it reached 10,000 miles. It then developed problems, such as the need to repair the brake rotors. This was a common problem at this mileage level with older Jeeps, but I thought it had been remedied. Chrysler/Jeep previously warranted them for 3 yrs/36,000 mi. Now apparently the warranty expires at 1 yr/12,000 mi, leaving the consumer with some expensive repairs every 10,000-12,000 miles.

Jeep Realities
By Jed on 10/09/05 19:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this Jeep fully intending to keep it for a long long time. It's a 2WD Cherokee LTD. By 6000 miles we began to experience problems with brake rotor warping and peddle pulsation. It got so bad I was concerned about losing control during braking. The bottom line -- dealer told us to pound salt. Gas mileage horrible for a 6 cylinder (16.9 mpg city). Would NEVER buy a jeep again (or any Chrysler product).

Lemon with great customer service
By Livier on 07/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Brand New Jeep needed a new transmition at 600 miles! But I did receive great customer service from Alhambra Jeep. After 6 months driving rentals I got a full refund. Maybe in the future when Chrysler improves the Larado I will buy again. (Stereo system is horrible.)

Great Car
By Love my Jeep on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

With close to 20000 miles not a single problem. The car handles great, fun to drive and is great on trips. The head room is very good this is from someone who is 6'3", much more than the 4Runner. The price for the options is much better than the explorer or 4Runner. We bought the Jeep after Ford bought back our lemon Escape. We could not be happier.

Still wonderful after all these years. .
By glgibb on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We are on our second Limited, first on was still going since 1997 and 180k miles. Traded up to the 04 Limited V8HO, and yes, you can tell a difference in the HO. Jeep continues to make a solid vehicle and a wonderful answer to the larger SUVs, (We also have a Tahoe). We choose the Jeep for travels around Texas 'cause it is a lot more fun.

GOOD FUN CAR
By ryan2333 on 05/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a good buy fun to drive all around a good car Love jeep

2004 JGC Limited
By salmuabe on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Traded in my 2000 JGC Laredo (V8) for the 2004 JGC Limited (V8). Fourth Jeep I have owned...not as "problem free" as some imports but Jeep lovers tend to be loyal! Beautifully styled SUV, nice medium size. The V8 makes the JGC as quick as many alleged sports cars and is usually faster. A light tap on the accelerator gives a suprising burst of speed. Overall, a head turner, fun to drive, easy on the eyes. Fun to drive and recommended to anyone considering a JGC.