2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

2004 Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland-Pricey Lemon!
By 49caddyman

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in 2005 w.a mere 22,000 miles on the odometer. Being loaded, this SUV cost $43,000+. I immediately learnt that both axle seals, & both rear shocks, were leaking. At 36,200 miles (200 miles out of the "warranty"), all "Hell" broke loose. The starter failed, the factory CD player died, power windows & door locks ceased to function (I've had this problem repaired 3+ times already), no Jeep dealership would help out even though this Jeep was only 200 miles out of "warranty", thepass. side rocker panel & frnt fender are rotting out, transmission started slipping at 117,000 miles. A grossly overpriced LEMON, & my LAST Jeep. Honda Pilot here I come!

Favorite Features

Styling, comfort, and power (though the HO V-8 is as thirsty as a Hummer)

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps Jeep could somehow manage to make a driver's door power window/door lock harness that doesn't get frayed & fail every 6 months? Overall repair record on this Jeep has been horrendous, and EXTREMELY disappointing. Jeep has not only lost a customer, but has lost MANY, as I tell the tales of woe I've experienced with this overpriced lemon to everyone I can. NO MORE JEEPS (or Chrysler products for that matter). My Brother-In-Law owns a Honda Pilot with TWICE the mileage this Jeep has, and He's had little, or no issues whatsoever.

Loves to take my money
By jeeplovesmoney

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

There isnt a better winter performance car on the road. I live in Minnesota and as soon as the snow flied, my jeep becomes the fastest car on the road in 4wd full time. The issue with this vehicle is the continuous repair fees. I've had the below items replaced as of 122,000 miles. Power window motors front door connection to body master brake cylinder head gasket main seal rear Axel seal cruise control AC/blower flaps shocks 3 sets of tires Driver seat tracks (rocking chair) recall on seat heaters hood and rear glass support CD player display I swear to god if i didnt love this car I would burn it. Value wise, its about as bad as it gets.

Favorite Features

4WD

Suggested Improvements

Quality

My 2004 2 wheel drive
By buck1sailer

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Grand Cherokee Laredo from a local used car place with 145,681 miles on it. The vehicle now has 210,450 miles on it. I still average near 21 mpg's on the highway with it. The inline 6 is a very durable motor, the only items I've replaced on it was at 175,265 a water pump, tires normal wear, brakes, and all push rods for lift gate, hood, and back glass. The cooling fan went out a few miles back going to replace it soon. Great vehicle. I get 17.5 mpg's in the city.

Favorite Features

I like the clearance it has, even though its a 2 wheel drive. It handles great.

Suggested Improvements

If the engine was tweaked a bit the mpg' might get up around 30. Just have to find a tuner to program the computer to get that done! Not much else...

04 Laredo 4x4
By beekmanta1

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Update from review, Jeep now has 180k miles, we are replacing worn out shocks cost $700. Look forward to a better ride now. Still no issues with this Jeep if you are willing to take care of it. Small stuff that is annoying though. The wire harness issue on all these is a pain, if you are able to look at the broken wire in your door jam and can fix go ahead and fix it like I did save you money. Another part had to replace was the cooling fan, stock cooling fan went dead was a $200 repair and replace cost. All in all the quality and reliability is there on the 4.0 inline 6. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.

Favorite Features

This is the simple model of the Grand Cherokee, cloth seats, power windows and power locks, power driver seat no other upgrades. I love it b/c of this. Have friends that owned the V8 fully loaded version and heard nothing but problems from those models. Jeep does the simple things best so if you are looking for a Jeep just buy the base model 4x4, you don't need leather, sunroof, dual climate, etc...

Suggested Improvements

MPG, if only I could get 25 mpg hwy it would be amazing if I could. Getting 18mpg hwy average is not fun hits my pocketbook hard each week. Don't know how you made wire harness in door jams so bad that they break wires all the time that is really annoying to try to fix or pay someone lots of money for a simple thing like that.

Door harness quality!!!
By bobberg1

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Door harness done three times. Once @ 35,000 miles (warranty), at 70,000 miles ( They covered it although I didn't have a extended warranty ) and again at 117,000. I had to pay for this one at $780. Had ten problems resolved under the warranty within 36000 miles, including replacement of alumium wheels,rear seals as mentioned in various reviews and tape deck. Went through three sets of Goodyear original equipment tires in 75,000 miles, despite having the alienment done every 6000 miles. I love the car for the ride but the cost of maintaining leaves much to be desired.

Jeep From Marty Cancila
By jae_grayer

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My jeep is amazing. It runs very good without any problems. The interior is nice! Exterior is even better. It is a fun to drive vehicle. The whole performance of the car is great. Grab a Jeep or test drive one and you'll see.

Good SUV!
By beekmanta1

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2004 since 2006. Bought with 85k miles and now have over 172k miles. Only minor repairs during life of vehicle so far. Very comfortable, performance lacking big time but isn't a V8, MPG awful! Probably get 12-14 MPG on average. Most get is 18MPG hwy but with very conservative driving. Only major repairs is a transmission solenoid about 450 at 160k miles, fuel pump at 90k miles (ran the gas too low for a long period of time my own fault). Other than that change all fluids when your supposed to and has been a good reliable vehicle for me.

Favorite Features

Seats are very comfortable, no noises or squeeks for an 04 with over 170k miles still a quite comfy ride. Biggest complaint that I hear is the transmission is aweful, I have found that it seems most people misdiagnose any trans issues and could be a cheaper fix than you think. Just need a trustworthy mechanic and do a lot of research yourself before just dropping off to a trans repair shop, of course they will tell you need a new trans.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is boring but, I regularly wash and clean my vehicle still looks almost new inside, is boring but has held up very well. People are always amazed how clean new looking my 04 is, replacing your headlamps also will improve the looks.

Always something broken on this jeep
By kg89

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

All I did was pay to repair this thing. Faulty radiator, brake calipers, two engine fans, ignition coil, camshaft sensor, wiring harness, engine computer, engine oil cap broke off and oil had to be put in through the dipstick shaft, power window motors, bad adhesive on insulation on all the doors led to many wet seats after rainy nights. And my personal favorite, the drivers seat became a rocking chair after becoming completely detached from the track. This car was always broken. Not to mention the terrible gas mileage, which I would have been fine with if it were not for the constant cost of repairs. It ended up costing me more money to repair it than it did to buy it in the first place.

Favorite Features

4wd was a blast, and got me through some brutal snowstorms. The seats folded down in the back made for a very cozy space for two with a blanket. Very comfy, just park it and open the liftgate and you got a spot for you and some buddies to sit and drink beers at a tailgate.

Suggested Improvements

Very unreliable, was broken in every possible way. Very poor build quality. door panels were very cheap and came detached from the doors, same goes for insulation. This Jeep eventually started choking and sputtering and shutting off at red lights and stop signs before she died. I sold her for junk and got a honda crv, so far a way smoother ride and way better fuel economy.

2004 GC Laredo (4.0L I6)
By pghegseth

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Previously owned a '96 Laredo 4x4 (purchased in 2000) and loved it. Perhaps the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 240,000 miles with only minor maintenance and still eating up miles (my son has it now). I bought the 2004 Laredo twelve years later to replace it, I had to have the indestructable I6 engine! Very pleased with it so far. It rides more comfortably than my old Jeep and looks sharper (Silver with black trim and a dark grey interior). If it holds up as well as my previous Jeep Laredo I will be most pleased. Maintenance is just a fact of life in all vehicles, regardless of make /model. If you're fortunate (like I was), it all minor maintenance and wearable parts.

Favorite Features

I live in Rural Minnesota and driving in deep snow is a fact of life. My Jeep handles this environment well... never got stuck!

Suggested Improvements

The front stablizer joints an both my Laredo Jeeps failed causing the front tires to wear unevenly and (of course) shake a lot at speeds over 45 MPH. It happened to another Jeep owner I know as well. It's an easy repair but seems too prevalent a problem to not be pervasive. A better design would be beneficial.

Beautiful, powerful, but frequently in the shop
By costeld

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Until the 2011 Grand Cherokee was released I thought the 2004 was the best looking year of the best looking bodystyle. Has robust suspension and agressive approach and departure angles for offroading (though most are just daily commuters). Interior on the Overland was very nice and had unique styling. Nice engine/exhaust note, felt more powerful and faster than its 265 bhp rating. Good towing ability: 5000 lbs hardly noticable.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine. Nice styling. Looked expensive. Overland unique grill, body molding, seats, seat covers, steering wheel, wood trim, door panels, rocker bar.

Suggested Improvements

The following was replaced between 40 and 60K: clutch pack in rear diff, starter, power steering pump, front left axle seal, heated seat elements replaced three times due to recall. Shocks were wearing when I sold vehicle at 60K. Mine had the chrome clad wheels which stained easily, and corroded around the lip, from liquid deicer. Overland badges always peeling and filing with muddy water (I replaced them twice). Chrome finishes on badges peeled. Painted rocker panels on this vehicle are a bad idea: mine had significant road rash and actual missing paint from gravel roads. Significant body lean when cornering. Suspension design poor for highway use. Atrocious gas mileage. Poor back seat room