Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 463 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Junk
By neil

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

No good have to repair more then driven on the road

Great Used vehicle
By Derek

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased this 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 liter high output about 7 months ago. Had every option available. 10 disc cd changer, navigation, rock bars, sunroof, two tone leather. The wood trim looks great! The technology is now heavily outdated but still functions well! One problem since ownership began, power steering has been not functioning correctly but barely noticeable. Get stiff at low speeds, under 5 mph. Other then that, has been very reliable and has not once failed to start! Great off road as well, in the mud or rock. Stupidly drove in 32 inch of snow this winter, amazingly made it two miles home. Overall, I am very happy with the purchase and would recommend this Jeep to anyone in the used market!

Take care of it, and it will take care of you.
By Deana Rhodes

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall: If I've been good to my GC so it's lasted me a long time; going on year four. Only reason I wouldn't drive a GC is if I decided to downsize or upgrade to a different vehicle type. Good things: The engine is very strong – everything else on it will fall apart before its 4.0L straight-six does. I change the oil myself, moper filter only, every 3,500 miles. I have never had to fix anything on the interior (e.g. seats, dash buttons). Aftermarket parts are cheap for the value, so fixing things never costs and arm and a leg. For the whole time I've owned it, it's only needed to "major" jobs completed. The 4x4 is one of the most reliable systems I've owned. Only had two recalls served, and both affected at least a half million other vehicles across makes and models (not just a Jeep problem). The service depts. I've been to are helpful; I'm very blunt with the associates, which makes them honest with me. Bad things: I watch my gas level drain when I drive it – hurts the wallet when I'm traveling far. I swapped out the trans at 195k miles (most truck trans last longer, so get a truck if you want trans and engine reliability). Chrysler went cheap on the electrical harnesses in the doors and the wires in the door jams, so the windows and doors may stop working. The OEM headlights point low to the ground, so night visibility is very limited. And the headlamp assemblies fog over, so get aftermarket ones. The body rusts too easily (mine has the notorious rust spot above the back passenger wheel well) and that shouldn't happen to almost every GC, but it does.

Very reliable and well built Vehicle.
By Chris

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was a foreign car technician for almost 20yrs, and have found this vehicle to be very well built. I purchased it as a Certified Used with 18K and now have only 128K on the Odometer. The vehicle has received more than the required maintenance, by cutting required fluid changes in half. I do mostly Hwy driving, and get 60K out of average M&S tires. Have only had to replace the Crank Position Sensor @ 110K, and all coolant hoses @120K service, other than normal wear items. This Vehicle has a timeless exterior, functional clean and comfortable interior. The ride is harsher than others in its class do to the solid axles F&R ( one of the main reasons I purchased it). The other being the Dinasour inline 6 cyldr all cast iron, pushrod engine. This easy to work on , smooth running engine defyes "Murphys Law" - If its hard to get to - it will break! I would recommend using high quality motor oil or adding a Zinc additive to it , do to the flat tappet design of the lifters in the engine, and the reduction of Zinc in modern oils due to environmental conserns. Fuel economy is the only negative , I average 17 mpg @ 75% highway.

2004 JEEP Grande Cherokee..MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK
By J M

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

There is more to owning and operating a Jeep Grand Cherokee than meets the eye
A great performing all around stunning appearance on the road that will keep going
right off road terrains that shut down the competition. More BANG for the Buck.