2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Loves to take my money
By jeeplovesmoney on 05/05/13 19:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

There isnt a better winter performance car on the road. I live in Minnesota and as soon as the snow flied, my jeep becomes the fastest car on the road in 4wd full time. The issue with this vehicle is the continuous repair fees. I've had the below items replaced as of 122,000 miles. Power window motors front door connection to body master brake cylinder head gasket main seal rear Axel seal cruise control AC/blower flaps shocks 3 sets of tires Driver seat tracks (rocking chair) recall on seat heaters hood and rear glass support CD player display I swear to god if i didnt love this car I would burn it. Value wise, its about as bad as it gets.

My 2004 2 wheel drive
By buck1sailer on 05/02/13 21:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Grand Cherokee Laredo from a local used car place with 145,681 miles on it. The vehicle now has 210,450 miles on it. I still average near 21 mpg's on the highway with it. The inline 6 is a very durable motor, the only items I've replaced on it was at 175,265 a water pump, tires normal wear, brakes, and all push rods for lift gate, hood, and back glass. The cooling fan went out a few miles back going to replace it soon. Great vehicle. I get 17.5 mpg's in the city.

04 Laredo 4x4
By beekmanta1 on 04/01/13 11:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Update from review, Jeep now has 180k miles, we are replacing worn out shocks cost $700. Look forward to a better ride now. Still no issues with this Jeep if you are willing to take care of it. Small stuff that is annoying though. The wire harness issue on all these is a pain, if you are able to look at the broken wire in your door jam and can fix go ahead and fix it like I did save you money. Another part had to replace was the cooling fan, stock cooling fan went dead was a $200 repair and replace cost. All in all the quality and reliability is there on the 4.0 inline 6. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.

Door harness quality!!!
By bobberg1 on 02/13/13 12:23 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Door harness done three times. Once @ 35,000 miles (warranty), at 70,000 miles ( They covered it although I didn't have a extended warranty ) and again at 117,000. I had to pay for this one at $780. Had ten problems resolved under the warranty within 36000 miles, including replacement of alumium wheels,rear seals as mentioned in various reviews and tape deck. Went through three sets of Goodyear original equipment tires in 75,000 miles, despite having the alienment done every 6000 miles. I love the car for the ride but the cost of maintaining leaves much to be desired.

Jeep From Marty Cancila
By jae_grayer on 01/18/13 09:12 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My jeep is amazing. It runs very good without any problems. The interior is nice! Exterior is even better. It is a fun to drive vehicle. The whole performance of the car is great. Grab a Jeep or test drive one and you'll see.

Good SUV!
By beekmanta1 on 11/17/12 11:01 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2004 since 2006. Bought with 85k miles and now have over 172k miles. Only minor repairs during life of vehicle so far. Very comfortable, performance lacking big time but isn't a V8, MPG awful! Probably get 12-14 MPG on average. Most get is 18MPG hwy but with very conservative driving. Only major repairs is a transmission solenoid about 450 at 160k miles, fuel pump at 90k miles (ran the gas too low for a long period of time my own fault). Other than that change all fluids when your supposed to and has been a good reliable vehicle for me.

Always something broken on this jeep
By kg89 on 09/03/12 08:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

All I did was pay to repair this thing. Faulty radiator, brake calipers, two engine fans, ignition coil, camshaft sensor, wiring harness, engine computer, engine oil cap broke off and oil had to be put in through the dipstick shaft, power window motors, bad adhesive on insulation on all the doors led to many wet seats after rainy nights. And my personal favorite, the drivers seat became a rocking chair after becoming completely detached from the track. This car was always broken. Not to mention the terrible gas mileage, which I would have been fine with if it were not for the constant cost of repairs. It ended up costing me more money to repair it than it did to buy it in the first place.

2004 GC Laredo (4.0L I6)
By pghegseth on 07/12/12 09:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Previously owned a '96 Laredo 4x4 (purchased in 2000) and loved it. Perhaps the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 240,000 miles with only minor maintenance and still eating up miles (my son has it now). I bought the 2004 Laredo twelve years later to replace it, I had to have the indestructable I6 engine! Very pleased with it so far. It rides more comfortably than my old Jeep and looks sharper (Silver with black trim and a dark grey interior). If it holds up as well as my previous Jeep Laredo I will be most pleased. Maintenance is just a fact of life in all vehicles, regardless of make /model. If you're fortunate (like I was), it all minor maintenance and wearable parts.

Beautiful, powerful, but frequently in the shop
By costeld on 06/02/12 14:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Until the 2011 Grand Cherokee was released I thought the 2004 was the best looking year of the best looking bodystyle. Has robust suspension and agressive approach and departure angles for offroading (though most are just daily commuters). Interior on the Overland was very nice and had unique styling. Nice engine/exhaust note, felt more powerful and faster than its 265 bhp rating. Good towing ability: 5000 lbs hardly noticable.

2004 Rocky Mountain Edition Grand Cherokee
By vatowerman on 08/27/11 12:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Rocky Mountain Edition as a dealer demo. Fully loaded with all options except the navigation system. It is a Jeep - meaning that it has its quirks and faults. That being said; I wouldn't own anything else. I use this vehicle for my job which is building cell towers in extremely remote and rural areas such as mountain top sites. This Grand Cherokee has never left me stranded and no major problems. But keep in mind that a Jeep does need constant maintenance and care. It is not a Honda or a Toyota that you can abuse and not have any consequences. Flush the tranny every 30k, flush the cooling system every 30k, change out the differential and transfer case fluids every 40k.