Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Most Helpful|
Beautiful, powerful, but frequently in the shop
By costeld

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Until the 2011 Grand Cherokee was released I thought the 2004 was the best looking year of the best looking bodystyle. Has robust suspension and agressive approach and departure angles for offroading (though most are just daily commuters). Interior on the Overland was very nice and had unique styling. Nice engine/exhaust note, felt more powerful and faster than its 265 bhp rating. Good towing ability: 5000 lbs hardly noticable.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine. Nice styling. Looked expensive. Overland unique grill, body molding, seats, seat covers, steering wheel, wood trim, door panels, rocker bar.

Suggested Improvements

The following was replaced between 40 and 60K: clutch pack in rear diff, starter, power steering pump, front left axle seal, heated seat elements replaced three times due to recall. Shocks were wearing when I sold vehicle at 60K. Mine had the chrome clad wheels which stained easily, and corroded around the lip, from liquid deicer. Overland badges always peeling and filing with muddy water (I replaced them twice). Chrome finishes on badges peeled. Painted rocker panels on this vehicle are a bad idea: mine had significant road rash and actual missing paint from gravel roads. Significant body lean when cornering. Suspension design poor for highway use. Atrocious gas mileage. Poor back seat room

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland-Pricey Lemon!
By 49caddyman

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in 2005 w.a mere 22,000 miles on the odometer. Being loaded, this SUV cost $43,000+. I immediately learnt that both axle seals, & both rear shocks, were leaking. At 36,200 miles (200 miles out of the "warranty"), all "Hell" broke loose. The starter failed, the factory CD player died, power windows & door locks ceased to function (I've had this problem repaired 3+ times already), no Jeep dealership would help out even though this Jeep was only 200 miles out of "warranty", thepass. side rocker panel & frnt fender are rotting out, transmission started slipping at 117,000 miles. A grossly overpriced LEMON, & my LAST Jeep. Honda Pilot here I come!

Favorite Features

Styling, comfort, and power (though the HO V-8 is as thirsty as a Hummer)

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps Jeep could somehow manage to make a driver's door power window/door lock harness that doesn't get frayed & fail every 6 months? Overall repair record on this Jeep has been horrendous, and EXTREMELY disappointing. Jeep has not only lost a customer, but has lost MANY, as I tell the tales of woe I've experienced with this overpriced lemon to everyone I can. NO MORE JEEPS (or Chrysler products for that matter). My Brother-In-Law owns a Honda Pilot with TWICE the mileage this Jeep has, and He's had little, or no issues whatsoever.

Loves to take my money
By jeeplovesmoney

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

There isnt a better winter performance car on the road. I live in Minnesota and as soon as the snow flied, my jeep becomes the fastest car on the road in 4wd full time. The issue with this vehicle is the continuous repair fees. I've had the below items replaced as of 122,000 miles. Power window motors front door connection to body master brake cylinder head gasket main seal rear Axel seal cruise control AC/blower flaps shocks 3 sets of tires Driver seat tracks (rocking chair) recall on seat heaters hood and rear glass support CD player display I swear to god if i didnt love this car I would burn it. Value wise, its about as bad as it gets.

Favorite Features

4WD

Suggested Improvements

Quality

Door harness quality!!!
By bobberg1

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Door harness done three times. Once @ 35,000 miles (warranty), at 70,000 miles ( They covered it although I didn't have a extended warranty ) and again at 117,000. I had to pay for this one at $780. Had ten problems resolved under the warranty within 36000 miles, including replacement of alumium wheels,rear seals as mentioned in various reviews and tape deck. Went through three sets of Goodyear original equipment tires in 75,000 miles, despite having the alienment done every 6000 miles. I love the car for the ride but the cost of maintaining leaves much to be desired.

04 Laredo 4x4
By beekmanta1

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Update from review, Jeep now has 180k miles, we are replacing worn out shocks cost $700. Look forward to a better ride now. Still no issues with this Jeep if you are willing to take care of it. Small stuff that is annoying though. The wire harness issue on all these is a pain, if you are able to look at the broken wire in your door jam and can fix go ahead and fix it like I did save you money. Another part had to replace was the cooling fan, stock cooling fan went dead was a $200 repair and replace cost. All in all the quality and reliability is there on the 4.0 inline 6. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.

Favorite Features

This is the simple model of the Grand Cherokee, cloth seats, power windows and power locks, power driver seat no other upgrades. I love it b/c of this. Have friends that owned the V8 fully loaded version and heard nothing but problems from those models. Jeep does the simple things best so if you are looking for a Jeep just buy the base model 4x4, you don't need leather, sunroof, dual climate, etc...

Suggested Improvements

MPG, if only I could get 25 mpg hwy it would be amazing if I could. Getting 18mpg hwy average is not fun hits my pocketbook hard each week. Don't know how you made wire harness in door jams so bad that they break wires all the time that is really annoying to try to fix or pay someone lots of money for a simple thing like that.