Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 460 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Very reliable and well built Vehicle.
By Chris

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was a foreign car technician for almost 20yrs, and have found this vehicle to be very well built. I purchased it as a Certified Used with 18K and now have only 128K on the Odometer. The vehicle has received more than the required maintenance, by cutting required fluid changes in half. I do mostly Hwy driving, and get 60K out of average M&S tires. Have only had to replace the Crank Position Sensor @ 110K, and all coolant hoses @120K service, other than normal wear items. This Vehicle has a timeless exterior, functional clean and comfortable interior. The ride is harsher than others in its class do to the solid axles F&R ( one of the main reasons I purchased it). The other being the Dinasour inline 6 cyldr all cast iron, pushrod engine. This easy to work on , smooth running engine defyes "Murphys Law" - If its hard to get to - it will break! I would recommend using high quality motor oil or adding a Zinc additive to it , do to the flat tappet design of the lifters in the engine, and the reduction of Zinc in modern oils due to environmental conserns. Fuel economy is the only negative , I average 17 mpg @ 75% highway.

2004 JEEP Grande Cherokee..MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK
By J M

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

There is more to owning and operating a Jeep Grand Cherokee than meets the eye
A great performing all around stunning appearance on the road that will keep going
right off road terrains that shut down the competition. More BANG for the Buck.

this car is blehmazing
By harrison Sutton

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This car has a meh on road attitude. However once you let the thirsty 4.7 HO V8 off road, she becomes one amazing SUV. In years of living in middle GA i have only been stuck in the mud twice. Great 1st car for your son or a offroader.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland-Pricey Lemon!
By 49caddyman

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in 2005 w.a mere 22,000 miles on the odometer. Being loaded, this SUV cost $43,000+. I immediately learnt that both axle seals, & both rear shocks, were leaking. At 36,200 miles (200 miles out of the "warranty"), all "Hell" broke loose. The starter failed, the factory CD player died, power windows & door locks ceased to function (I've had this problem repaired 3+ times already), no Jeep dealership would help out even though this Jeep was only 200 miles out of "warranty", thepass. side rocker panel & frnt fender are rotting out, transmission started slipping at 117,000 miles. A grossly overpriced LEMON, & my LAST Jeep. Honda Pilot here I come!

Styling, comfort, and power (though the HO V-8 is as thirsty as a Hummer)

Perhaps Jeep could somehow manage to make a driver's door power window/door lock harness that doesn't get frayed & fail every 6 months? Overall repair record on this Jeep has been horrendous, and EXTREMELY disappointing. Jeep has not only lost a customer, but has lost MANY, as I tell the tales of woe I've experienced with this overpriced lemon to everyone I can. NO MORE JEEPS (or Chrysler products for that matter). My Brother-In-Law owns a Honda Pilot with TWICE the mileage this Jeep has, and He's had little, or no issues whatsoever.

What do you expect?
By caljeepster

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I drive a 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7 HO, 200k+ miles and going strong. I will keep this Jeep through 500k+ miles. When I was looking for a capable off-road with luxury comforts I found the WJ Jeep was best of the best. You will spend money on this vehicle, especially if you take it 150k+ miles but so what? You can find one used for $5,000. I typically spend 3-4,000 a year on my jeep but that is including lifting it 4", new tires and wheels and I use the 4x4 for fun on trails. That averages out to $300/mo. Not bad for vehicle that gets compliments every week and has rescued its fair share of other off roaders who lacked the power or traction to keep up with my Jeep. I love this Jeep.

4.7 HO engine is a beast. Must replace rear sway bar to a thicker aftermarket one, especially if you lift it. Makes ALL the difference in the world for your cornering/handling. The interior fold down back seats give you options for carrying passengers and gear. The all-time all wheel drive is great for handling.

The wheel wells are smaller than I would like. You may need to trim part of the body to fit larger tires if you lift it.