Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

2004 JEEP Grande Cherokee..MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK
By J M

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

There is more to owning and operating a Jeep Grand Cherokee than meets the eye A great performing all around stunning appearance on the road that will keep going right off road terrains that shut down the competition. More BANG for the Buck.

this car is blehmazing
By harrison Sutton

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This car has a meh on road attitude. However once you let the thirsty 4.7 HO V8 off road, she becomes one amazing SUV. In years of living in middle GA i have only been stuck in the mud twice. Great 1st car for your son or a offroader.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland-Pricey Lemon!
By 49caddyman

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in 2005 w.a mere 22,000 miles on the odometer. Being loaded, this SUV cost $43,000+. I immediately learnt that both axle seals, & both rear shocks, were leaking. At 36,200 miles (200 miles out of the "warranty"), all "Hell" broke loose. The starter failed, the factory CD player died, power windows & door locks ceased to function (I've had this problem repaired 3+ times already), no Jeep dealership would help out even though this Jeep was only 200 miles out of "warranty", thepass. side rocker panel & frnt fender are rotting out, transmission started slipping at 117,000 miles. A grossly overpriced LEMON, & my LAST Jeep. Honda Pilot here I come!

Styling, comfort, and power (though the HO V-8 is as thirsty as a Hummer)

Perhaps Jeep could somehow manage to make a driver's door power window/door lock harness that doesn't get frayed & fail every 6 months? Overall repair record on this Jeep has been horrendous, and EXTREMELY disappointing. Jeep has not only lost a customer, but has lost MANY, as I tell the tales of woe I've experienced with this overpriced lemon to everyone I can. NO MORE JEEPS (or Chrysler products for that matter). My Brother-In-Law owns a Honda Pilot with TWICE the mileage this Jeep has, and He's had little, or no issues whatsoever.

What do you expect?
By caljeepster

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I drive a 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7 HO, 200k+ miles and going strong. I will keep this Jeep through 500k+ miles. When I was looking for a capable off-road with luxury comforts I found the WJ Jeep was best of the best. You will spend money on this vehicle, especially if you take it 150k+ miles but so what? You can find one used for $5,000. I typically spend 3-4,000 a year on my jeep but that is including lifting it 4", new tires and wheels and I use the 4x4 for fun on trails. That averages out to $300/mo. Not bad for vehicle that gets compliments every week and has rescued its fair share of other off roaders who lacked the power or traction to keep up with my Jeep. I love this Jeep.

4.7 HO engine is a beast. Must replace rear sway bar to a thicker aftermarket one, especially if you lift it. Makes ALL the difference in the world for your cornering/handling. The interior fold down back seats give you options for carrying passengers and gear. The all-time all wheel drive is great for handling.

The wheel wells are smaller than I would like. You may need to trim part of the body to fit larger tires if you lift it.

Loves to take my money
By jeeplovesmoney

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

There isnt a better winter performance car on the road. I live in Minnesota and as soon as the snow flied, my jeep becomes the fastest car on the road in 4wd full time. The issue with this vehicle is the continuous repair fees. I've had the below items replaced as of 122,000 miles. Power window motors front door connection to body master brake cylinder head gasket main seal rear Axel seal cruise control AC/blower flaps shocks 3 sets of tires Driver seat tracks (rocking chair) recall on seat heaters hood and rear glass support CD player display I swear to god if i didnt love this car I would burn it. Value wise, its about as bad as it gets.

4WD