Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland-Pricey Lemon!
By 49caddyman

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in 2005 w.a mere 22,000 miles on the odometer. Being loaded, this SUV cost $43,000+. I immediately learnt that both axle seals, & both rear shocks, were leaking. At 36,200 miles (200 miles out of the "warranty"), all "Hell" broke loose. The starter failed, the factory CD player died, power windows & door locks ceased to function (I've had this problem repaired 3+ times already), no Jeep dealership would help out even though this Jeep was only 200 miles out of "warranty", thepass. side rocker panel & frnt fender are rotting out, transmission started slipping at 117,000 miles. A grossly overpriced LEMON, & my LAST Jeep. Honda Pilot here I come!

Favorite Features

Styling, comfort, and power (though the HO V-8 is as thirsty as a Hummer)

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps Jeep could somehow manage to make a driver's door power window/door lock harness that doesn't get frayed & fail every 6 months? Overall repair record on this Jeep has been horrendous, and EXTREMELY disappointing. Jeep has not only lost a customer, but has lost MANY, as I tell the tales of woe I've experienced with this overpriced lemon to everyone I can. NO MORE JEEPS (or Chrysler products for that matter). My Brother-In-Law owns a Honda Pilot with TWICE the mileage this Jeep has, and He's had little, or no issues whatsoever.

What do you expect?
By caljeepster

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I drive a 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7 HO, 200k+ miles and going strong. I will keep this Jeep through 500k+ miles. When I was looking for a capable off-road with luxury comforts I found the WJ Jeep was best of the best. You will spend money on this vehicle, especially if you take it 150k+ miles but so what? You can find one used for $5,000. I typically spend 3-4,000 a year on my jeep but that is including lifting it 4", new tires and wheels and I use the 4x4 for fun on trails. That averages out to $300/mo. Not bad for vehicle that gets compliments every week and has rescued its fair share of other off roaders who lacked the power or traction to keep up with my Jeep. I love this Jeep.

Favorite Features

4.7 HO engine is a beast. Must replace rear sway bar to a thicker aftermarket one, especially if you lift it. Makes ALL the difference in the world for your cornering/handling. The interior fold down back seats give you options for carrying passengers and gear. The all-time all wheel drive is great for handling.

Suggested Improvements

The wheel wells are smaller than I would like. You may need to trim part of the body to fit larger tires if you lift it.

Loves to take my money
By jeeplovesmoney

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

There isnt a better winter performance car on the road. I live in Minnesota and as soon as the snow flied, my jeep becomes the fastest car on the road in 4wd full time. The issue with this vehicle is the continuous repair fees. I've had the below items replaced as of 122,000 miles. Power window motors front door connection to body master brake cylinder head gasket main seal rear Axel seal cruise control AC/blower flaps shocks 3 sets of tires Driver seat tracks (rocking chair) recall on seat heaters hood and rear glass support CD player display I swear to god if i didnt love this car I would burn it. Value wise, its about as bad as it gets.

Favorite Features

4WD

Suggested Improvements

Quality

My 2004 2 wheel drive
By buck1sailer

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Grand Cherokee Laredo from a local used car place with 145,681 miles on it. The vehicle now has 210,450 miles on it. I still average near 21 mpg's on the highway with it. The inline 6 is a very durable motor, the only items I've replaced on it was at 175,265 a water pump, tires normal wear, brakes, and all push rods for lift gate, hood, and back glass. The cooling fan went out a few miles back going to replace it soon. Great vehicle. I get 17.5 mpg's in the city.

Favorite Features

I like the clearance it has, even though its a 2 wheel drive. It handles great.

Suggested Improvements

If the engine was tweaked a bit the mpg' might get up around 30. Just have to find a tuner to program the computer to get that done! Not much else...

04 Laredo 4x4
By beekmanta1

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Update from review, Jeep now has 180k miles, we are replacing worn out shocks cost $700. Look forward to a better ride now. Still no issues with this Jeep if you are willing to take care of it. Small stuff that is annoying though. The wire harness issue on all these is a pain, if you are able to look at the broken wire in your door jam and can fix go ahead and fix it like I did save you money. Another part had to replace was the cooling fan, stock cooling fan went dead was a $200 repair and replace cost. All in all the quality and reliability is there on the 4.0 inline 6. Take care of it, and it will take care of you.

Favorite Features

This is the simple model of the Grand Cherokee, cloth seats, power windows and power locks, power driver seat no other upgrades. I love it b/c of this. Have friends that owned the V8 fully loaded version and heard nothing but problems from those models. Jeep does the simple things best so if you are looking for a Jeep just buy the base model 4x4, you don't need leather, sunroof, dual climate, etc...

Suggested Improvements

MPG, if only I could get 25 mpg hwy it would be amazing if I could. Getting 18mpg hwy average is not fun hits my pocketbook hard each week. Don't know how you made wire harness in door jams so bad that they break wires all the time that is really annoying to try to fix or pay someone lots of money for a simple thing like that.