Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Only American product I would buy
By Yipeiokyay

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When my PT Loser died I jumped on a great deal for this used 03 Laredo. The best decision I ever made. My son has a 97 with 170K and loves it and with the expected life of this SUV being around 500K I think we both will be driving them for years to come. We took both of them out in the snow the other night and had a great time. I can't wait to get it in the mud this Spring.

Favorite Features

I only wish I had the sun/moon roof...other than that it has everything you could need or want.

Suggested Improvements

It's a little hard to shift into 4lo so I guess I wish that was a little easier...

Nice car that needs some improvments
By jim

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

What attracted me to the jeep was the style. However, I regret buying it. Rotors continue to pulsate and require resurfacing or replacing about every 5- 10 k, I replaced with cross drilled rotors in the rear, so far so good. A little underpowered, If you manipulate the overdrive manually to delay engagement, you get better accel. w/o the lag. After purchase, fan relay, twice, once by the dealer (warranty) once by myself (good thing I'm a mechanic). Window reg broke once (warranty). Highway mileage is great 55- 60 MPH you can get 22-23 mpg if cond. are right. 60-65 mph you get 20-21. Overall it is very comfortable to drive and it suites my needs. If jeep could fix those problems/it would be 10

Favorite Features

comfort to drive and fun

Suggested Improvements

rotors, rotors, rotors, and don't let anyone say your braking too hard, its a PP design. Power, needs more power

Jeep Grand Cherokee
By BuddyinStL

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The only problem that we have had with this car is the vacuum hose keeps falling off, disabling the heater and vent controls. It has been repaired by the dealer once, and by myself twice. Other than that, no problems. The car is comfortable, dependable, and fun to drive. It is especially capable on winter roads, and off-road driving. It tows well. I agree with the one reviewer who stated that the cup holders need to be deeper. An average coffee cup or water bottle will go flying when turning corners if your not holding it. Gas mileage could be better, considering it is a 6 cylinder. Overall, I am happy with this SUV, and would buy another Chrysler/Jeep product.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, 4WD capabilities

Suggested Improvements

fix vacuum hose issues, deeper cup holders, better fuel economy

This really is a good Jeep
By Aaron

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this thing in 2007 with 33,000 miles on it, and the only issues I have had with are a fan module went out which caused it to overheat once or twice and the dealership replaced it with no questions asked. Also some of the window regulators broke which is was a little bummed about at first but was able to get them to stay up and the a/c works great so oh well! other than that I LOVE THIS THING! This is my second vehicle and the first was a 92' Cherokee with the same engine which is an awesome engine the 4.0 L inline six is said to be one of the best inline six's ever made! I just turned over 77,000 miles and it still runs so smooth, acceleration is great, and i get 400 miles a tank!

Favorite Features

The ride quality, engine, the 5-speed auto which is so smooth at highway speeds! The seats are very comfy! And the compass/distance to empty console is great! If you are a true Jeeper then you know about all about Jeeps, but other people who don't know can't appreciate them!

Suggested Improvements

The window regulators, but I've talked to people that have had bad window regulators in chevy trucks, so it's not just a chrysler thing with the windows. Just remember people, these are machines! MACHINES BREAK NO MATTER WHO MADE THEM! your expectations only set you up for disappointment!

2003 Jeep or Heap?
By GRUNE

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I first bought the Jeep I loved it. Fun to drive, looks great. Now it has become a hazard and fear to drive. It loves to just quit for no reason. I could be on the highway going 60 MPH and it just quits! Then trying to steer off the hwy with no power steering is always fun. It also likes to buck, or just shut off when slowing down for traffic lights or turns. I now hate driving it. I have taken it to several mechanics and they use the computer to read the codes and all it tells them is "Vapor Locks" None of them can fix it. They all tell me to get rid of it. I can't because I still owe to much. So I will drive it til the wheels fall off or it kills me.

Favorite Features

Used to be its looks and the fact I can haul 8 bales of hay or 16 bags of feed. Without getting wet!

Suggested Improvements

Build something more reliable to last until the buyer pays it off!