2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Love My Jeep
By C Sims on 03/04/06 19:23 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love everything about my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It has all the room we need and is very well designed. This Jeep has been my dream vehicle. I have 64K miles now and it is still going strong. I choose the 2 wheel drive, because we already have 2 other 4WDs in the family. I usually trade vehicles when I need tires, but never plan on trading my Jeep. You will not be sorry with this vehicle.

Shoddy Chic! Cute w/ Constant Problems
By katherine on 03/01/06 04:28 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Completely fed up. Bought this with 31K miles in July 05; nothing negative in CarFax. Was out of town 3 months so have only driven it 5 months yet I've had to take it for service 9(!) times now: multi cylinder misfires (twice), valve over carbonization (twice), oxygen sensor failed/replaced, fuel line leaked, tensioner pulley fell out of engine (!) and replaced, pass-side window collapsed plus needed several parts replaced, and a few generic engine malfunctions. Unbelievable. Was there NO quality control? Only 35K miles now - should NOT be like this. I hate my car.

OK for an American car
By Cindy on 02/10/06 12:11 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got a really good deal on this or I probably would have gotten something nicer. I wanted 4 wheel drive and an SUV and I got this one at a good deal. I'm used to imports so I would have to say that overall, I'm not really happy with it. Wind noise, inferior sound system, chipmunk noises in the dash, not enough power. But if you don't mind buying American, it's a good value and nicer than the Fords and Chevys.

Why did I buy?
By Jeep Junk on 02/08/06 10:03 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this Overland used with 44,500 miles on it and I have had it for 2 weeks. The first day the heat stopped working on the drivers side (I'm told is a common and EXPENSIVE problem) $680 I had that fixed after much yelling and screaming at the dealership. Now in the second week the truck gas mileage is down to about 10 miles to the gallon and is bogging down. I think it might have an upper intake gasket leak. It bucks when under power. I have put about 300 miles on the truck and this is the second time it needs to go in. What a piece of junk. I was warned about Chrysler products and wish I had took the warnings more serious. Next truck will definitely be foreign. Sorry USA.

Love the Overland
By Raven1 on 01/28/06 19:36 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This 2003 Overland edition is great looking. The interior is also very attractive, but I find the driver's seat too soft and too small. The vehicle does not handle that well on windy country roads. There is a significant amount of body roll and the seat does not seem to hold my average sized body very securely. I love the chrome 17' wheels. The leather/suede mix is nice in the interior. The 4.7 HO is very powerful and quick from a start and when merging. The sound system is good but not excellent. My wife is the primary driver of this vehicle and she loves it. The vehicle has performed well on all road surfaces and in all conditions. The creature features of the overland are great.

Get the extended warranty
By OverlandMan on 12/12/05 16:32 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my '03 Overland new in December '02. I really loved the styling as well as long list of standard features. My problems started at around 10k miles with a broken hvac fan motor. The dealer replaced the resistor pack. Almost exactly 1 year later to the date, the fan died again. The dealer replaced the resistor pack again to fix it. 1 year later the heat stopped working for the passenger side; this time it was the blend door, a very expensive repair had the Jeep not been under the original warranty. So to sum it up the dash got ripped out 3 times in under 3 years, which would have cost over $2k had it not been under warranty. For these problems alone I can't recommend a Grand.

not good
By 3rd Jeep on 10/17/05 14:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We just put 52,000 miles on the Jeep in 3 years. The first 3 years were great, but as soon as we got to around 49,000 miles the issues started. First the heater went causing the AC and heat to stop ($600 in repairs) and now the car started bucking (as seen in another review) and that's going to cost me around $300. Of course this happens after warranty expires. We've done all the maintenance work, but this sort of things should not happen on Jeep's top of the line car. Not worth it. Get the Laredo for 1/3rd less and save up for repairs.

good but could be better
By Scott on 09/24/05 00:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

It has been a good auto. We have had only one problem with the power window, but it was still under warranty and was fixed with no problems. We previously owned a '95 Explorer. The Jeep has a lot better ride but the Explorer drove better. As far as power they are about equal. We have the 6 cylinder, I would suggest going with the V8. The 6 cylinder's fuel mileage is poor and lacks power.

V8 Laredo
By JT Jones on 09/01/05 09:53 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Grand Cherokee. We test drove several other SUV's before buying another Jeep, and decided that the Jeep is just hands down better. We drove an 2003 Olds Bravada, a 2003 Isuzu Axiom, a 2004 Ford Escape, and a 2003 Jeep Liberty, but none of them compared to the ride of the Grand Cherokee. We've had it for 2 months now and have had no problems. Great SUV.

Multiple Problems - Will never buy another
By j smith on 08/10/05 18:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

What a huge let down. We have had issues with ours nonstop. The check engine light comes on indicating a problem. The dealer charges a diagnostic fee of about $95.00 to tell you why the light comes on. The first time was because the gas cap wasn't tight, the second (about 6 months later) because the gas cap had a crack. Each time at a cost of $95.00. The engine light is now on again (3 months since the last $95.00). My air conditioner won't get cold and the heat won't get hot. This began after 1.5 years. We also had to replace a fan relay at 18 months ($325.00). I was just over my 36,000 mile warranty. I spend less to maintain my 10 year old Toyota! I should have purchased from them again instead.