2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Great Overland
By UncleSampson on 11/21/06 07:13 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love to drive this vehicle. It feels like a kid wanting to play. Hit the gas and you're off to a race track. It's got enough torque to sink you into the seat. Very fun to drive! Everybody has to realize that this is an SUV and it isn't supposed to corner like a race car. All in all I think it does just fine.

not reliable
By Chuck on 11/03/06 15:08 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Most disappointing was the reliability. Five or six times in the last year the vehicle has not cranked and the shop was not able to locate the problem. Last week the passenger window stuck in the down position and cost $500 to repair. For a vehicle less than four years is this is not acceptable. I will be looking at a different make in the future.

Pain to drive
By Bstephens on 08/25/06 20:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a great looking car. I can also say that it's one of the most difficult cars to drive that I've ever driven. It's hard to keep it on the road when you're driving along at 75 mph with a tractor trailer passing you. It will blow you off the road. Buy the Pathfinder. I wish I had. The wife said this car looked more sophisticated. The Pathfinder would have been more secure. I know because I've driven them. If you want to feel safe taking a turn don't drive this car. Looks great, horrible ride.

Pretty Good, So Far
By jefjensen on 08/16/06 13:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I chose the Grand Cherokee over rival suvs for value and perceived "heavier duty". For the last three years, it's been a good performer. I'd like better gas mileage (getting about 17-18 MPG in mixed driving with six cylinder). No major repairs. Dislikes: $200 cost to drain/refill differentials; significant rust on all lower window sill trim. I've noticed the sill trim rust on virtually every Grand Cherokee I've looked at with the same body style as mine. Replacement Dunlop Radial Rover tires much, much better than oem Goodyear Wrangler ST for traction and handling, although I think I may have lost some fractional MPG. Manual 4x4 lever takes considerable effort to move, although it's not a major flaw.

could be better
By Mario on 06/26/06 12:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fan belt broke in 6 months after purchasing the Jeep, heater control panel broke down after a year, the brake pads broke within a year. When I keep bringing back my Jeep for repair, the service department is not very receptive to customers.

Read all the facts before you buy!
By Matt on 05/03/06 13:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first significant buy when it comes to an SUV and it was the BIGGEST mistake I could have made. I have owned the Jeep for 29 days and it has made 4 trips to the repair shop! Many difficulties with it not starting up, but just cranking and cranking. The shifting from Park to either Reverse or Drive is a real hard shift and makes me wonder if there are problems with the design with the transmission. The reliability for Jeep is garbage! I use to own a Jeep Wrangler and I was a die hard fan of JeepÂ…not so much anymore. I am taking mine back and buying a Nissan Xterra. Read all the other reviews and you too will see there are many problems. BEWARE!!

I'm done with it
By steve on 04/18/06 12:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle spends more time in the shop than it does on the road. I think they have a sensor that goes off at 37K miles that permits every functional system to go wrong with the car. I have spent $2500 in the past 16 months (given - tires & brakes were $900 of it) and I have little confidence that the end is near. This is the second Jeep I have owned & I have no idea why I was so stupid to buy another one. From here on out, I will only buy Toyota or Honda vehicles. American cars are just not worth the headache.

staller!
By dan on 04/07/06 10:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Extremely comfortable, but terrible car overall. I should have listened to the reviews before I bought it - it kept stalling on me, the dealers don't know what to do, and it's too late to declare it a lemon. What a terrible vehicle - BEWARE! Chrysler/Jeep has not completely worked out all the kinks in this car, most importantly with the engine. This car is extremely dangerous to drive - I stalled out once on the highway and once in the middle of traffic, other times at the bank or while turning to park my car. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE - the ridiculous maintenance fees are bad in themselves, but even worse when they don't fix the problem.

"Cheap" Grand Cherokee
By Jimmy on 03/27/06 14:55 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well, this car was the worst one we ever bought. The brake rotors warped within 8 months of driving it out of the lot, the air conditioning is hot in the summer, but the heating is marginally good in winter. The fan relay went at 38k miles. The fog light on-indicator burned out at 39k miles and one of the power outlets doesn't work. At 33k miles the seatbelt failed to retract. The car floats all over the road. The tilting steering wheel jumps out of its last position when you go over a bump. Do not, whatever you do, by a used Jeep Grand Cherokee. I wouldn't say it's trail rated---I would say it's "fail" rated.

Loved it...until it kept stalling on me!
By shay on 03/25/06 16:24 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car and loved it for several months, until the engine started to give me problems. It stalled 3 times - the dealer "fixed" it, but I stalled 2 more times, this time in the middle of traffic. The dealership had my car for two weeks and found nothing wrong with it. Now I have to get another car, even though I've had this for only 10 months. I'm very disappointed - I loved this car, but it is extremely unreliable, and the service i DID NOT receive from the dealership was terrible. All 3 local dealerships are terrible - I will most likely never get another Jeep. The Carfax report I paid for said nothing was wrong with that - I blame that on the dealership i bought it from!