2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
This Jeep left me wanting a car!
By AMarshall on 06/25/08 09:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle in 2006 with 40,000 miles on it. Still looked and drove like a new vehicle for the first year and my husband is a fanatic about regular maintenance and upkeep. On four different occasions, this Jeep just quit with no warning and I had to have it towed to a garage. Four garages and six well-established mechanics and they still never found the problem. They all say it's something electrical (perhaps a short) that they cannot find--even with diagnostic tools. Now, the cooling fan went out (another electric issue) and I can't drive it less than 20 mph without it overheating. BOTH front automatic window mechanism have also busted and had to be replaced at $300 each.

Best choice for the money!!!!
By Kam on 06/03/08 18:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We love this vehicle. We bought the straight 6 so we avoided a lot of the headaches associated with the 4x4. An SUV that is reliable and fun to drive. I will never own anything but a Jeep from now on. It has pickup when you need it.

Very Disappointed
By MsBeck on 11/11/07 10:25 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always wanted a Jeep and was extremely excited when I purchased this one. However, after 2 years the problems just aren't worth it anymore. 500 miles after the factory warranty expired my vehicle began leaking from behind the dash. It leaks so bad it pools. I've tried to have it fixed 5 times and nobody can seem to fix it. The moisture behind the dash is causing all kinds of other problems..including freezing dials and air vents when it is cold. The window mechanism broke on my passenger side and cost a ton to replace. The check engine light is always coming on - emissions leaks, bad battery, bad sensors. I've replaced the brakes and the rotors. Okay that happens but I'm done trying

Expensive to own
By LAM on 10/18/07 09:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new. Is beautiful, drives great, has great power. Regarding the car, the heat/cool dampers went out at 38K and it cost $ 800.00. A couple of engine sensors failed (while on vacation) at a cost of $ 600.00. Now it is in the shop due to rust-through on the rear wheel wells. No more Dodge/Chrysler/Jeeps for us.

Stuck With a Lemon
By Ssoto0055 on 09/29/07 16:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car was just unreliable. Within in one year the car started overheating. If it wasn't the radiator fan it was the relay. Twice udner warranty, and 3 other times out warranty. Was pricy to fix, but no one could figure out why it kept happening. 3 of the windows fell, one twice. Tail lights also crapped out. Radio went out once too. The tranny started giving me trouble so I got rid of the car. I had a problem with first gear, as the car only wanted to go take off in second gear. I let it go before I had to drop more money into it. It was a lemon but didn't fall under the definition of lemon.

Great Jeep!
By W. Roberts on 07/31/07 20:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased Jeep new on Oct 2002. Jeep has never been back to the shop except for the seat warmer recall. Tires and brakes are original with 63,000 miles and have plenty of wear left. Lots of pep and very comfortable. This is my second Jeep and a great vehicle.

A very satisfied owner
By ccm5k on 06/21/07 13:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

If you read a lot of the reviews here, it seems a lot of people have had very negative experiences with their Jeeps. I guess I am one of the lucky ones! After almost one year and almost 20k miles of ownership, I have never had a single problem. Not one! In total, I have 70k miles on the vehicle and it still looks and feels new. And, when it comes to bang for the buck, I could not be more pleased. I was cross- shopping '00-'02 Range Rovers when I bought this Jeep, and the Jeep is more comfortable, more powerful, and far more reliable. Find a well-cared for example and you will not be disappointed!

Dont Waste your money
By Jeff on 03/20/07 20:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but issues with the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The mechanics in the automatic windows is faulty, this model has a well documented faulty brake problem, with a class action lawsuit to boot. The transmission is no dream either, constantly slips and has trouble shifting gears. This oversized golf cart is quite possibly the worst investment that you can ever make, save your money and get an Accord. I've also had issues with alignment on the vehicle, so in short I really don't have anything positive to save about the Jeep Grand Cherokee other than the fact that the wheels have not flown off the vehicle while driving but I must say that is about it. Hope this helps.

Jeep
By Jeff on 02/14/07 20:32 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

First of all, everyone must realize that this is an SUV and not a car. If you are not going to use it for towing, bad weather or rough land, this car really isn't for you. For the most part, I think Jeep did keep true to its history. For example, it is awesome in heavy winters and the torque is nice. However, I did notice the window sills and seat nuts rusting. They are still using the same bulletproof v6 engine and the stereo is decent.

Like it!
By Renzo on 11/29/06 11:29 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought used with 24K on it. Have had to have the blend (heater) door fixed - entire dash dismantled, but successful. Had a power window break because it was froze shut and I tried to open it. Dealer where I bought it has NOT been helpful - in fact I would have to say they STINK. Another dealer has been GREAT! They got Jeep to pay for parts off-warranty and fixed things promptly and correctly. Seat could be a bit wider, other than that I love the vehicle, I just hope it keeps running and $2 parts quit breaking that cost $1000 to fix!