Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Original Owner's Issues
By wllmmddltn

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

OK, the Jeep looks fantastic, drives solid, stable and lots of power, there's plenty of options, just a sound design, could get better mileage. But now that I've had it 7 years and 95,000 miles things are breaking. We've had the window fall off the mechanism, and the heavy shudder in the breaks but electrically, no issues and had a tow hitch added. But the AC system melted and was $1500 to repair. Now the steering box is out and another $1200. So yeah, I'd call this a higher than average vehicle to maintain cost wise.

It's such a solid package. The seats are nice, love the gauges, really love the roominess. The fact that 7 years later there's still things I love about this machine.

Shouldn't cut corners on AC with the plastics.. The fact that I'm feeling skeptical about buying another Jeep because of suspicion regarding quality.. wish I could do it, still think it's a beauty, but I doubt I will

Glad I bought it
By tripovermyego

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this Jeep for almost a year and no issues what so ever!! It has over 110000 miles on it and it runs like its brand new!!! Very fun off road and on road. Very clean Jeep. Did I mention, no issues what-so-ever? Very happy with it. Mine is a Laredo model and white in color but still looks very good!!!

Room, the comfort, the torque and power out of the 6cyl,body style, I love everything about this Jeep.

Better gas mileage, another storage compartment inside would be nice,trailor hitches on all models

I love the old girl
By It's a Yeep, Yimmy

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 03 GC Laredo for about 3 and 1/2 years, and I love it every second. I blame the Jeep for 1 incident... The coolant sensor went, which left the coolant fan running after I shut the car off. I came out the next morning to a dead battery. I have also fixed the front 2 power windows, but I cant blame the Jeep. I locked my keys inside and tried a jimmy, but I think I messed something up. I also need to fix the power seat switch. It works in all directions, except backwards. Again, I think it has something to do with the snow I had to scoop out of the inside of the car when the window was broken in the down position during winter. I love my Jeep!

Good looking and comfortable interior. Paint and plastic exterior still in great condition. Space for cargo, kids, hubby, and pets. 4 LO and 1st gear=I could climb Mt. Everest. Ive recently moved. My commute WAS 30 miles RT. Now its 110 miles RT. Reliability... YES!

More power. Better gas mileage. Makes a weird noise when making tight turns at low speeds. Engine accelerates quickly then goes back down when setting cruise control. I would like another compartment for spare change or sunglasses. Recently, its started pinging. I guess that's to be expected.

Nice but Costly
By Bill

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought used with 50,000. 1st winter no heat due to same issue THANKS CHRYSLER for no HELP cost $1,000. Then Cracked head @ 77,000 another $1,200 Now in for 2nd issue with Limited Slip Clutches $230 each time. Driver window repair $400 COME ON!!!! This is my 3rd Jeep and will Not Buy Another...too many other good options out there these days. Gas mileage average Hwy/City is 19 but wife drives it easy. Oh yea, heated seats repaired once by warranty and again by me.. quite working again. Really to bad as JEEP had such a good Brand Name..HAD being the optimal word

AWD, sitting up higher, comfort

Better warranty for common issues like heater door that cost people BIG bucks..Reliability, Reliability

Would drive it off a cliff
By SAJ

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought what I thought was going to be a good looking reliable vehicle. I had a Chevy Caprice for over 13 years and was looking to find something I would love as much. I looks HOT! But looks are deceiving. It is '03 and still looks brand new even without a good car wash. BUT... The piece of junk has spent more time in the shop than any vehicle in earth history except maybe another Jeep Grand Cherokee. Seat Heater, Brake rotors, 5 complete sets of brakes and rotors. Shimmies really bad after about 6 months of new brakes. The heater sensor something , air conditioning lvr things, cruise control, battery goes dead, electrical shorts but nobody can tell me why. Would not sell to my worst enemy.

The day when I can afford to trade it. I do like the way back handy for carrying stuff. Seats are comfy. The color is awesome Inferno Red pearlized... even though it's junk at least it's a good looking piece of junk.

If it ran and worked as well as it looks that would be something.