Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Glad I bought it
By tripovermyego

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this Jeep for almost a year and no issues what so ever!! It has over 110000 miles on it and it runs like its brand new!!! Very fun off road and on road. Very clean Jeep. Did I mention, no issues what-so-ever? Very happy with it. Mine is a Laredo model and white in color but still looks very good!!!

Favorite Features

Room, the comfort, the torque and power out of the 6cyl,body style, I love everything about this Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, another storage compartment inside would be nice,trailor hitches on all models

I love the old girl
By It's a Yeep, Yimmy

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 03 GC Laredo for about 3 and 1/2 years, and I love it every second. I blame the Jeep for 1 incident... The coolant sensor went, which left the coolant fan running after I shut the car off. I came out the next morning to a dead battery. I have also fixed the front 2 power windows, but I cant blame the Jeep. I locked my keys inside and tried a jimmy, but I think I messed something up. I also need to fix the power seat switch. It works in all directions, except backwards. Again, I think it has something to do with the snow I had to scoop out of the inside of the car when the window was broken in the down position during winter. I love my Jeep!

Favorite Features

Good looking and comfortable interior. Paint and plastic exterior still in great condition. Space for cargo, kids, hubby, and pets. 4 LO and 1st gear=I could climb Mt. Everest. Ive recently moved. My commute WAS 30 miles RT. Now its 110 miles RT. Reliability... YES!

Suggested Improvements

More power. Better gas mileage. Makes a weird noise when making tight turns at low speeds. Engine accelerates quickly then goes back down when setting cruise control. I would like another compartment for spare change or sunglasses. Recently, its started pinging. I guess that's to be expected.

Nice but Costly
By Bill

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought used with 50,000. 1st winter no heat due to same issue THANKS CHRYSLER for no HELP cost $1,000. Then Cracked head @ 77,000 another $1,200 Now in for 2nd issue with Limited Slip Clutches $230 each time. Driver window repair $400 COME ON!!!! This is my 3rd Jeep and will Not Buy Another...too many other good options out there these days. Gas mileage average Hwy/City is 19 but wife drives it easy. Oh yea, heated seats repaired once by warranty and again by me.. quite working again. Really to bad as JEEP had such a good Brand Name..HAD being the optimal word

Favorite Features

AWD, sitting up higher, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Better warranty for common issues like heater door that cost people BIG bucks..Reliability, Reliability

Would drive it off a cliff
By SAJ

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought what I thought was going to be a good looking reliable vehicle. I had a Chevy Caprice for over 13 years and was looking to find something I would love as much. I looks HOT! But looks are deceiving. It is '03 and still looks brand new even without a good car wash. BUT... The piece of junk has spent more time in the shop than any vehicle in earth history except maybe another Jeep Grand Cherokee. Seat Heater, Brake rotors, 5 complete sets of brakes and rotors. Shimmies really bad after about 6 months of new brakes. The heater sensor something , air conditioning lvr things, cruise control, battery goes dead, electrical shorts but nobody can tell me why. Would not sell to my worst enemy.

Favorite Features

The day when I can afford to trade it. I do like the way back handy for carrying stuff. Seats are comfy. The color is awesome Inferno Red pearlized... even though it's junk at least it's a good looking piece of junk.

Suggested Improvements

If it ran and worked as well as it looks that would be something.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
By Ron

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my Jeep. I got a dark blue Grand Cherokee Laredo and it is very nice inside and out. I was very skeptical about Jeep from what others have said, but mine is very reliable, pretty good on gas, and a comfortable, but fun ride. The stereo is nice sounding, and the seats are a very nice, comfortable cloth. I really love mine and looking forward to trying out the 4x4 in the future. I was honestly surprised by how well mine is with gas. I drive a fair amount and my gas is barely gone. I definitely recommend the car overall.

Favorite Features

Info Center to let you know temp, mileage till service, gas mileage, how many miles left, etc. Stereo- not bad for a stock stereo, space- lots of it.

Suggested Improvements

They should put auto headlights in the Laredo;