2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Only American product I would buy
By Yipeiokyay on 01/13/09 10:11 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When my PT Loser died I jumped on a great deal for this used 03 Laredo. The best decision I ever made. My son has a 97 with 170K and loves it and with the expected life of this SUV being around 500K I think we both will be driving them for years to come. We took both of them out in the snow the other night and had a great time. I can't wait to get it in the mud this Spring.

Nice car that needs some improvments
By jim on 12/24/08 13:31 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

What attracted me to the jeep was the style. However, I regret buying it. Rotors continue to pulsate and require resurfacing or replacing about every 5- 10 k, I replaced with cross drilled rotors in the rear, so far so good. A little underpowered, If you manipulate the overdrive manually to delay engagement, you get better accel. w/o the lag. After purchase, fan relay, twice, once by the dealer (warranty) once by myself (good thing I'm a mechanic). Window reg broke once (warranty). Highway mileage is great 55- 60 MPH you can get 22-23 mpg if cond. are right. 60-65 mph you get 20-21. Overall it is very comfortable to drive and it suites my needs. If jeep could fix those problems/it would be 10

Jeep Grand Cherokee
By BuddyinStL on 12/01/08 10:51 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The only problem that we have had with this car is the vacuum hose keeps falling off, disabling the heater and vent controls. It has been repaired by the dealer once, and by myself twice. Other than that, no problems. The car is comfortable, dependable, and fun to drive. It is especially capable on winter roads, and off-road driving. It tows well. I agree with the one reviewer who stated that the cup holders need to be deeper. An average coffee cup or water bottle will go flying when turning corners if your not holding it. Gas mileage could be better, considering it is a 6 cylinder. Overall, I am happy with this SUV, and would buy another Chrysler/Jeep product.

This really is a good Jeep
By Aaron on 10/22/08 07:15 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this thing in 2007 with 33,000 miles on it, and the only issues I have had with are a fan module went out which caused it to overheat once or twice and the dealership replaced it with no questions asked. Also some of the window regulators broke which is was a little bummed about at first but was able to get them to stay up and the a/c works great so oh well! other than that I LOVE THIS THING! This is my second vehicle and the first was a 92' Cherokee with the same engine which is an awesome engine the 4.0 L inline six is said to be one of the best inline six's ever made! I just turned over 77,000 miles and it still runs so smooth, acceleration is great, and i get 400 miles a tank!

2003 Jeep or Heap?
By GRUNE on 10/07/08 05:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I first bought the Jeep I loved it. Fun to drive, looks great. Now it has become a hazard and fear to drive. It loves to just quit for no reason. I could be on the highway going 60 MPH and it just quits! Then trying to steer off the hwy with no power steering is always fun. It also likes to buck, or just shut off when slowing down for traffic lights or turns. I now hate driving it. I have taken it to several mechanics and they use the computer to read the codes and all it tells them is "Vapor Locks" None of them can fix it. They all tell me to get rid of it. I can't because I still owe to much. So I will drive it til the wheels fall off or it kills me.

Never Again...
By Dissapointed on 09/11/08 10:42 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was the first vehicle I bought brand new. If I have ever had a vehicle nickel and dime me, it would be this one. Little things that aren't covered by the warranty. It started about 20K miles, with the brakes, and went downhill from there, rear axle, power steering, an electric window broke (in the winter), and CD player to name a few. If you don't mind the little fixes, go ahead and buy one. If you want a vehicle to stand by their warranty and is proud of their name. Don't go with any Chrysler. I love to drive this car, but I can't stand the "issues". I have never EVER put as much money into all of my cars combine, as I have put into this one.

Jeeps are the most reliable vehicles
By Janna on 08/15/08 23:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2003 Laredo for 7 months and would not trade it for anything. When I got it, I had to replace the main cylinder valve which cost $200. A couple of months ago the window motor and regulator went out and had to be replaced. It was very easy to replace and took less than 15 minutes. To replace it cost $100. I don't understand why so many people do not like their Jeep. Yes some things aren't perfect on them but that is expected out of every vehicle. They are very safe and reliable. I've saw jeeps that have been flipped 6 times and driven home or some that have been hit going 75 mph into an embankment and still driven home. I will not drive anything other than a Jeep.

This Is A Great SUV When You Compare
By r461 on 07/09/08 14:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Jeep Grand Cherokee. It does exactly what an SUV is supposed to do with lots of room and easy handling. I drove the competitor's and this is hands down the best value for the money.

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
By Y on 07/01/08 18:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car used with 24k and it had no problems whatsoever, but after the 15 day return of the vehicle we have had nothing but trouble ever since. It has been to the dealer more than 3 times. It shakes really bad when you drive it and the air will not work unless it is on lo of you put it any higher the car will break down. The check engine light is constantly on and has been reset. We have owned a jeep before and just had a few problems with it but I would not recommend any type of jeep to anyone. With all the money we have spent on parts it should work just fine even though it has 80,000 on it. Every time it goes to the dealer there is always something with it. So don't buy one.

Piece of Junk
By Frank on 06/25/08 16:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased my vehicle it only had 31,000 miles. The first week I had to take it back to get the rotors replaced. Next the sensor without the relay went. The fan had to be replaced. The radiator had to be replaced. Then the relay had to be replaced. 2x the tires had to be replaced. The front and back rotors and brakes had to be replaced there was a call back on the front end break system parts had to be replaced. To this day I go out to work in the morning and start my truck and it makes all kind of ticking and other noises until it decides to calm down and finally I can drive off and go to work. How much longer will it last I do not know. But you can believe I will never purchase another Jeep.