Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Best of the rest!
By hafwgthere

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought to get rid of 2007 Tahoe incapable of towing my boat(up ramp) or parking without hitting a curb(no clearance). 3rd Jeep Grand Cherokee and best so far. Had to replace power steering hose, manifold gasket when i bought it but has been flawless ever since. Wife and daughter love the feel, fit, and finish of interior and exterior plus the power 0-60 --6-7 seconds. Like so much we bought a 2001 as well. If you use the internet you can easily find and fix any problem with a vehicle and save the dealer rip off and run-around. Every vehicle has problems even run away Toyotas.

Favorite Features

Zone temp control, sunroof, power, driving position and fit. They still look awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Design in more storage space.

The worst vehicle ever made
By SO UPSET

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

It started w/the Rotors from the day I drove it off the lot.I've blocked it out of mind just how money I spent & the RUN AROUND from the dealership & the corporate. I fixed the rotors (later recalled). When I called corporate they told me it was too late, I'd fixed them. What was I supposed to do, be killed or kill someone else b/c of defective brakes and rotors. Next,the windows;first passenger side - 400.00+ to fix, then the drivers side & one in the back. The blinkers work sometimes & others they don't. The locks only work with the Key remote. I'm too poor to anything about it. I've started (too late) to take tag numbers of other similar jeeps. I have sweat dreams of a Class Action.

Favorite Features

So disgusted with the overall that it's really hard to have a favorite

Suggested Improvements

Live up to your warranties - do the right thing by your customers. Don't put the service men on commission & if a customer wants to see the damage to a part - don't tell them it was disposed (while you sat waiting on the car - what did they put it some sort of incinerator? Need more characters!

Original Owner
By Steve

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned this car since new (purchased 12/02) and overall it has been a very solid SUV. The car is extremely comfortable, offers plenty of room, and has great performance and handling in snow. At 130k miles, I have had only relatively minor issues including replacing the power window motor on both front doors and an issue with the cooling fan. Aside from that, the truck continues to drive and perform extremely well. Gas mileage has been average for this class at around 18 mpg. Well built, solid car, with some relatively minor electrical problems.

Favorite Features

Styling that still looks good, overall comfort, and great all-weather handling.

Suggested Improvements

Improve electrical components (e.g. power windows, cooling relay) that are common issues with this truck.

Don't buy this vehicle!
By Jim

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Jeep with 20K miles and at the time thought it was a good investment. I've owned it for 4 years now and its been in the shop at least a half dozen times for electrical related problems. First the lights wouldn't work, then the automatic windows, then the bucking and stalling, now its the directionals. These are cheap fixes either. Each trip to the shop seems to cost $400. This is the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I'll never buy another Chrysler product and neither should anyone else.

Favorite Features

CD player and sound system

Suggested Improvements

If Chrysler is serious about staying in business, they need to find some new electrical engineers.

Original Owner's Issues
By wllmmddltn

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

OK, the Jeep looks fantastic, drives solid, stable and lots of power, there's plenty of options, just a sound design, could get better mileage. But now that I've had it 7 years and 95,000 miles things are breaking. We've had the window fall off the mechanism, and the heavy shudder in the breaks but electrically, no issues and had a tow hitch added. But the AC system melted and was $1500 to repair. Now the steering box is out and another $1200. So yeah, I'd call this a higher than average vehicle to maintain cost wise.

Favorite Features

It's such a solid package. The seats are nice, love the gauges, really love the roominess. The fact that 7 years later there's still things I love about this machine.

Suggested Improvements

Shouldn't cut corners on AC with the plastics.. The fact that I'm feeling skeptical about buying another Jeep because of suspicion regarding quality.. wish I could do it, still think it's a beauty, but I doubt I will