Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Superb Vehicle!
By JWR-11

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased 2003 Jeep Overland new in October 2002. Now have 90,000+ trouble free miles. Only recall by Chrysler was to repair the electric seat warmers. This Jeep still has it's original Goodyear tires on it! Rotated all 5 wheels every 10,000 miles. Great power and comfort. Will tow anything I have put behind it. I would have purchased another vehicle by now it were not for the great performance and reliability of my Jeep.

Reliability, Comfort, Power, Looks

NONE - Just keep making them and I will keep buying them

It's a jeep thing I don't understand
By luckyzsquirrel

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Grand Cherokee to replace my 13 year old Isuzu because it was begging to have minor mechanical issues. In hindsight I should have stayed with the old truck. Numerous electrical, cooling/heating, suspension problems which cost $$$. The transmission was unrefined and did not handle mountain driving.

Beautiful vehicle. Great handling. Very comfortable. Loaded with features. Decent mileage.

Mechanical problems (see above). Unrefined transmission. Not very reliable.

Get what you pay for (if you buy used)
By 2 time jeep owner

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Used jeep GCs can be a great deal for the do it yourself mechanic. Sorry to those who bought new. I replaced blend doors at 85K miles with do it yourself kit for $200 through glove box, works perfectly. Rust started to creep through rear fender wells, poor factory paint job did not cover inside of wheel wells. Needed to change battery at 90k miles. Running strong with 100k miles on it. Bought it for $7200 with 80k miles on it in 2009, great deal versus other options for the money but I know how to fix minor issues and those issues are reflected in the lower resale value of this vehicle.

heater mirrors and automatic lights, wipers and rear view mirror. Great power off the line and beefy look.

Blend doors should have been recalled.

Best of the rest!
By hafwgthere

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought to get rid of 2007 Tahoe incapable of towing my boat(up ramp) or parking without hitting a curb(no clearance). 3rd Jeep Grand Cherokee and best so far. Had to replace power steering hose, manifold gasket when i bought it but has been flawless ever since. Wife and daughter love the feel, fit, and finish of interior and exterior plus the power 0-60 --6-7 seconds. Like so much we bought a 2001 as well. If you use the internet you can easily find and fix any problem with a vehicle and save the dealer rip off and run-around. Every vehicle has problems even run away Toyotas.

Zone temp control, sunroof, power, driving position and fit. They still look awesome.

Design in more storage space.

The worst vehicle ever made
By SO UPSET

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

It started w/the Rotors from the day I drove it off the lot.I've blocked it out of mind just how money I spent & the RUN AROUND from the dealership & the corporate. I fixed the rotors (later recalled). When I called corporate they told me it was too late, I'd fixed them. What was I supposed to do, be killed or kill someone else b/c of defective brakes and rotors. Next,the windows;first passenger side - 400.00+ to fix, then the drivers side & one in the back. The blinkers work sometimes & others they don't. The locks only work with the Key remote. I'm too poor to anything about it. I've started (too late) to take tag numbers of other similar jeeps. I have sweat dreams of a Class Action.

So disgusted with the overall that it's really hard to have a favorite

Live up to your warranties - do the right thing by your customers. Don't put the service men on commission & if a customer wants to see the damage to a part - don't tell them it was disposed (while you sat waiting on the car - what did they put it some sort of incinerator? Need more characters!

• SUV