Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Never Again
By Kurt

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Cherokee and my last. Mind you, this vehicle spends more time sitting in my garage than on the road. It has been babied all its life and looks like the day it came off the showroom floor. To date, the A/C has been replaced (all components), all the window regulators have failed, the brakes have warped rotors, it is noisy (wind) when driven at highway speeds, the A/C is not blowing cold again, the driver's power seat is broken, all the side mirrors have broken at least once, all the hydraulic lift supports have been replace several times, the clear coat is soft so anything that touches the paint leaves a mark. The list goes on and on.

Favorite Features

Would like to say something is good about this vehicle but how can you when every time you turn around you're fixing something on or in it.

Suggested Improvements

Every Gran Cherokee owner will have a problem with the power windows. It is a poor design that Chrysler knows about but is making a lot of money from. The right thing to do would be to have a recall but Chrysler is too cheap to do it. No more Jeeps for me.

Still running great
By jim in alabama

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Coming up on 2 year of ownership and still no problems. Normal mx and just replaced tires. Never added a drop of fluids between changes. I change my oil every 5000 miles and my Cherokee still runs like a top. Jeep did good when they built this one. Leather is still in great shape. All the bells and whistles still work as advertised. Just bought a Liberty for a tow vehicle for my motor home, hope it is as good as the Cherokee.

Favorite Features

Ease of entry/exit from any seat. Great sound system, love the steering wheel controls. Cruise control holds speed accurately. Plenty of power from the 4.0 liter engine. Tows my utility trailer very well too.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little better fuel mileage. Can get over 20 mpg if I run under 70 on the interstate. About 17 is the norm for combined city/highway.

Superb Vehicle!
By JWR-11

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased 2003 Jeep Overland new in October 2002. Now have 90,000+ trouble free miles. Only recall by Chrysler was to repair the electric seat warmers. This Jeep still has it's original Goodyear tires on it! Rotated all 5 wheels every 10,000 miles. Great power and comfort. Will tow anything I have put behind it. I would have purchased another vehicle by now it were not for the great performance and reliability of my Jeep.

Favorite Features

Reliability, Comfort, Power, Looks

Suggested Improvements

NONE - Just keep making them and I will keep buying them

It's a jeep thing I don't understand
By luckyzsquirrel

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Grand Cherokee to replace my 13 year old Isuzu because it was begging to have minor mechanical issues. In hindsight I should have stayed with the old truck. Numerous electrical, cooling/heating, suspension problems which cost $$$. The transmission was unrefined and did not handle mountain driving.

Favorite Features

Beautiful vehicle. Great handling. Very comfortable. Loaded with features. Decent mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical problems (see above). Unrefined transmission. Not very reliable.

Get what you pay for (if you buy used)
By 2 time jeep owner

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Used jeep GCs can be a great deal for the do it yourself mechanic. Sorry to those who bought new. I replaced blend doors at 85K miles with do it yourself kit for $200 through glove box, works perfectly. Rust started to creep through rear fender wells, poor factory paint job did not cover inside of wheel wells. Needed to change battery at 90k miles. Running strong with 100k miles on it. Bought it for $7200 with 80k miles on it in 2009, great deal versus other options for the money but I know how to fix minor issues and those issues are reflected in the lower resale value of this vehicle.

Favorite Features

heater mirrors and automatic lights, wipers and rear view mirror. Great power off the line and beefy look.

Suggested Improvements

Blend doors should have been recalled.