2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Never Again
By Kurt on 08/07/10 12:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Cherokee and my last. Mind you, this vehicle spends more time sitting in my garage than on the road. It has been babied all its life and looks like the day it came off the showroom floor. To date, the A/C has been replaced (all components), all the window regulators have failed, the brakes have warped rotors, it is noisy (wind) when driven at highway speeds, the A/C is not blowing cold again, the driver's power seat is broken, all the side mirrors have broken at least once, all the hydraulic lift supports have been replace several times, the clear coat is soft so anything that touches the paint leaves a mark. The list goes on and on.

Still running great
By jim in alabama on 06/23/10 05:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Coming up on 2 year of ownership and still no problems. Normal mx and just replaced tires. Never added a drop of fluids between changes. I change my oil every 5000 miles and my Cherokee still runs like a top. Jeep did good when they built this one. Leather is still in great shape. All the bells and whistles still work as advertised. Just bought a Liberty for a tow vehicle for my motor home, hope it is as good as the Cherokee.

Superb Vehicle!
By JWR-11 on 06/18/10 17:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased 2003 Jeep Overland new in October 2002. Now have 90,000+ trouble free miles. Only recall by Chrysler was to repair the electric seat warmers. This Jeep still has it's original Goodyear tires on it! Rotated all 5 wheels every 10,000 miles. Great power and comfort. Will tow anything I have put behind it. I would have purchased another vehicle by now it were not for the great performance and reliability of my Jeep.

It's a jeep thing I don't understand
By luckyzsquirrel on 06/11/10 15:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Grand Cherokee to replace my 13 year old Isuzu because it was begging to have minor mechanical issues. In hindsight I should have stayed with the old truck. Numerous electrical, cooling/heating, suspension problems which cost $$$. The transmission was unrefined and did not handle mountain driving.

Get what you pay for (if you buy used)
By 2 time jeep owner on 06/02/10 14:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Used jeep GCs can be a great deal for the do it yourself mechanic. Sorry to those who bought new. I replaced blend doors at 85K miles with do it yourself kit for $200 through glove box, works perfectly. Rust started to creep through rear fender wells, poor factory paint job did not cover inside of wheel wells. Needed to change battery at 90k miles. Running strong with 100k miles on it. Bought it for $7200 with 80k miles on it in 2009, great deal versus other options for the money but I know how to fix minor issues and those issues are reflected in the lower resale value of this vehicle.

Best of the rest!
By hafwgthere on 05/17/10 09:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought to get rid of 2007 Tahoe incapable of towing my boat(up ramp) or parking without hitting a curb(no clearance). 3rd Jeep Grand Cherokee and best so far. Had to replace power steering hose, manifold gasket when i bought it but has been flawless ever since. Wife and daughter love the feel, fit, and finish of interior and exterior plus the power 0-60 --6-7 seconds. Like so much we bought a 2001 as well. If you use the internet you can easily find and fix any problem with a vehicle and save the dealer rip off and run-around. Every vehicle has problems even run away Toyotas.

The worst vehicle ever made
By SO UPSET on 05/10/10 10:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

It started w/the Rotors from the day I drove it off the lot.I've blocked it out of mind just how money I spent & the RUN AROUND from the dealership & the corporate. I fixed the rotors (later recalled). When I called corporate they told me it was too late, I'd fixed them. What was I supposed to do, be killed or kill someone else b/c of defective brakes and rotors. Next,the windows;first passenger side - 400.00+ to fix, then the drivers side & one in the back. The blinkers work sometimes & others they don't. The locks only work with the Key remote. I'm too poor to anything about it. I've started (too late) to take tag numbers of other similar jeeps. I have sweat dreams of a Class Action.

Original Owner
By Steve on 04/30/10 08:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned this car since new (purchased 12/02) and overall it has been a very solid SUV. The car is extremely comfortable, offers plenty of room, and has great performance and handling in snow. At 130k miles, I have had only relatively minor issues including replacing the power window motor on both front doors and an issue with the cooling fan. Aside from that, the truck continues to drive and perform extremely well. Gas mileage has been average for this class at around 18 mpg. Well built, solid car, with some relatively minor electrical problems.

Don't buy this vehicle!
By Jim on 03/07/10 10:30 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Jeep with 20K miles and at the time thought it was a good investment. I've owned it for 4 years now and its been in the shop at least a half dozen times for electrical related problems. First the lights wouldn't work, then the automatic windows, then the bucking and stalling, now its the directionals. These are cheap fixes either. Each trip to the shop seems to cost $400. This is the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I'll never buy another Chrysler product and neither should anyone else.

Original Owner's Issues
By wllmmddltn on 11/23/09 07:28 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

OK, the Jeep looks fantastic, drives solid, stable and lots of power, there's plenty of options, just a sound design, could get better mileage. But now that I've had it 7 years and 95,000 miles things are breaking. We've had the window fall off the mechanism, and the heavy shudder in the breaks but electrically, no issues and had a tow hitch added. But the AC system melted and was $1500 to repair. Now the steering box is out and another $1200. So yeah, I'd call this a higher than average vehicle to maintain cost wise.