Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Multiple Problems - Will never buy another
By j smith

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

What a huge let down. We have had issues with ours nonstop. The check engine light comes on indicating a problem. The dealer charges a diagnostic fee of about $95.00 to tell you why the light comes on. The first time was because the gas cap wasn't tight, the second (about 6 months later) because the gas cap had a crack. Each time at a cost of $95.00. The engine light is now on again (3 months since the last $95.00). My air conditioner won't get cold and the heat won't get hot. This began after 1.5 years. We also had to replace a fan relay at 18 months ($325.00). I was just over my 36,000 mile warranty. I spend less to maintain my 10 year old Toyota! I should have purchased from them again instead.

Get the kinks out or provide a longer warranty (mileage & time coverage) like the other manufactures do. 36,000 and 3 years is not enough for this vehicle!

Very Sad
By GWE

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our Jeep started bucking and becoming undriveable at 5000 miles. This is intermittent and has caused several delays on family trips. The manufacturer just says, "bad gas". They did extend our warranty to 70,000 miles, free. Big deal, the car is not reliable. They have yet to find the problem. We are going on three years of this. Tomorrow we go to "Lemon Law" court with the manufacturer. Wish us luck.

When the car bucks violently, it feels like a tire going flat or out of round. When you pull off the highway in a bad part to town, RELIEF! The tires are fine it's the engine that's causing the problem.

To retain the Trail Rating, make sure there's a service center at the end of each trail.

Awesome!
By greatsuv125

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This thing is a beast, what more can I say. I actually want to take it out on the snow drift covered roads because it's that good. I've passed Hummer H2's on the expressway when they were in the clear lane and I was in the snow covered side. 4.0L is virtually unbreakable and quick around town but it really needs another gear for truly good highway passing. Steering is vague but the brakes are fantastic at stopping the car even though my rotors were warped by 15,000 miles. Stock stereo has tons of thump to it, I've never heard a better standard stereo and it's not even the infinity version!

4x4 capabilities! 4.0L is indestructible. Stock stereo is fantastic. Nice interior.

Front brake rotors. Quicker downshifting transmission for highway passing.

My favorite car
By Teresa Payne

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Jeep has been a great blessing. I have enjoyed driving in the city, felt safe in the floods (did not go out when I did not have to) and have had a blast on the dirt. The V8 engine saved my life as I was able to get out of the way of an out of control car spinning toward me. The acceleration that is possible is something that you would expect from a sports car.

Drivers seat positions, smart keys, color choices, performance in general.

The middle back seat should have a head rest. When you lower the windows the air circulates in a way that hurts your ears; therefore, climate control would be great in the back seat.

Happy with the GC Overland
By saburk

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 4th Jeep product (2 Wranglers and a 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited V8). The Overland is very powerful and the 4WD is great in rain and snow. I love the chrome wheels. The stereo in the '98 Limited was better. Gas mileage is not that bad -- about 15.5 mpg with mixed highway and local travel. Closer to 19 mpg during extended highway driving. My only complaint is the front seats. The leather suede mix is nice, but the seats are not firm enough and too small. The vehicle has some body roll when cornering and the soft seats contribute to a feeling of poor handling.

4.7L HO, great looks, chrome wheels, excellent 3 or 4 person family vehicle.

Seat comfort.