Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

OK for an American car
By Cindy

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got a really good deal on this or I probably would have gotten something nicer. I wanted 4 wheel drive and an SUV and I got this one at a good deal. I'm used to imports so I would have to say that overall, I'm not really happy with it. Wind noise, inferior sound system, chipmunk noises in the dash, not enough power. But if you don't mind buying American, it's a good value and nicer than the Fords and Chevys.

Automatic 4 wheel drive, cargo area.

More power, better quality overall, better sound system (speakers).

Why did I buy?
By Jeep Junk

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this Overland used with 44,500 miles on it and I have had it for 2 weeks. The first day the heat stopped working on the drivers side (I'm told is a common and EXPENSIVE problem) $680 I had that fixed after much yelling and screaming at the dealership. Now in the second week the truck gas mileage is down to about 10 miles to the gallon and is bogging down. I think it might have an upper intake gasket leak. It bucks when under power. I have put about 300 miles on the truck and this is the second time it needs to go in. What a piece of junk. I was warned about Chrysler products and wish I had took the warnings more serious. Next truck will definitely be foreign. Sorry USA.

Heated seats very warm, nice interior and exterior style. Thats about it though and when compared all the mechanical problems don't do much for me.

Go to a Toyota or Nissan plant and watch how they make dependable vehicles. (Take notes Chrysler).

Love the Overland
By Raven1

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This 2003 Overland edition is great looking. The interior is also very attractive, but I find the driver's seat too soft and too small. The vehicle does not handle that well on windy country roads. There is a significant amount of body roll and the seat does not seem to hold my average sized body very securely. I love the chrome 17' wheels. The leather/suede mix is nice in the interior. The 4.7 HO is very powerful and quick from a start and when merging. The sound system is good but not excellent. My wife is the primary driver of this vehicle and she loves it. The vehicle has performed well on all road surfaces and in all conditions. The creature features of the overland are great.

4.7 HO engine is fun to drive. Not that bad on gas either. 15.5 in mixed country/highway driving. 21 mpg on a 7 hour highway trip! The black/chrome combination looks great but requires regular car washes.

I thought the sound system in my 98 Grand Cherokee Limited was better. The front seats need to be roomier and firmer.

Get the extended warranty
By OverlandMan

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my '03 Overland new in December '02. I really loved the styling as well as long list of standard features. My problems started at around 10k miles with a broken hvac fan motor. The dealer replaced the resistor pack. Almost exactly 1 year later to the date, the fan died again. The dealer replaced the resistor pack again to fix it. 1 year later the heat stopped working for the passenger side; this time it was the blend door, a very expensive repair had the Jeep not been under the original warranty. So to sum it up the dash got ripped out 3 times in under 3 years, which would have cost over $2k had it not been under warranty. For these problems alone I can't recommend a Grand.

Strong V8, styling, off road prowess, interior styling.

Better quality parts. When will American car manufacturers ever learn?

not good
By 3rd Jeep

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We just put 52,000 miles on the Jeep in 3 years. The first 3 years were great, but as soon as we got to around 49,000 miles the issues started. First the heater went causing the AC and heat to stop ($600 in repairs) and now the car started bucking (as seen in another review) and that's going to cost me around $300. Of course this happens after warranty expires. We've done all the maintenance work, but this sort of things should not happen on Jeep's top of the line car. Not worth it. Get the Laredo for 1/3rd less and save up for repairs.

Radio controls on wheel, power.

Quality is key, guys. Very disappointed with quality so far.

• SUV