Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

could be better
By Mario

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fan belt broke in 6 months after purchasing the Jeep, heater control panel broke down after a year, the brake pads broke within a year. When I keep bringing back my Jeep for repair, the service department is not very receptive to customers.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride,very good during winter storm, like it is glued to the road.

Suggested Improvements

interior is cheap looking, especially with the cloth; improve quality of parts like fan belt, heating system and brake pads.

Read all the facts before you buy!
By Matt

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first significant buy when it comes to an SUV and it was the BIGGEST mistake I could have made. I have owned the Jeep for 29 days and it has made 4 trips to the repair shop! Many difficulties with it not starting up, but just cranking and cranking. The shifting from Park to either Reverse or Drive is a real hard shift and makes me wonder if there are problems with the design with the transmission. The reliability for Jeep is garbage! I use to own a Jeep Wrangler and I was a die hard fan of Jeep…not so much anymore. I am taking mine back and buying a Nissan Xterra. Read all the other reviews and you too will see there are many problems. BEWARE!!

Favorite Features

Exterior design is really sharp with the BMW like headlights. Very comfortable on long drives. Enough gadgets to keep you happy while driving.

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY AND RELIABILITY! Gas mileage of course, but hey, it is an SUV. Sound system actually seemed pretty weak compared to what others had been saying. The normal wear and tear items seem to break down at a fast pace.

I'm done with it
By steve

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle spends more time in the shop than it does on the road. I think they have a sensor that goes off at 37K miles that permits every functional system to go wrong with the car. I have spent $2500 in the past 16 months (given - tires & brakes were $900 of it) and I have little confidence that the end is near. This is the second Jeep I have owned & I have no idea why I was so stupid to buy another one. From here on out, I will only buy Toyota or Honda vehicles. American cars are just not worth the headache.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Blow these cars up & start over. Sell the company to a Japanese manufacturer and be done with it.

staller!
By dan

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Extremely comfortable, but terrible car overall. I should have listened to the reviews before I bought it - it kept stalling on me, the dealers don't know what to do, and it's too late to declare it a lemon. What a terrible vehicle - BEWARE! Chrysler/Jeep has not completely worked out all the kinks in this car, most importantly with the engine. This car is extremely dangerous to drive - I stalled out once on the highway and once in the middle of traffic, other times at the bank or while turning to park my car. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE - the ridiculous maintenance fees are bad in themselves, but even worse when they don't fix the problem.

Favorite Features

Comfort, cd player, heated seats, sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Get a good engine. No really, this one is terrible and if I could, I would sue Chrysler/Jeep for allowing me to drive around in a car that could have gotten me killed if it hadn't been for the brakes in the car behind me. What a horrible car.

"Cheap" Grand Cherokee
By Jimmy

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well, this car was the worst one we ever bought. The brake rotors warped within 8 months of driving it out of the lot, the air conditioning is hot in the summer, but the heating is marginally good in winter. The fan relay went at 38k miles. The fog light on-indicator burned out at 39k miles and one of the power outlets doesn't work. At 33k miles the seatbelt failed to retract. The car floats all over the road. The tilting steering wheel jumps out of its last position when you go over a bump. Do not, whatever you do, by a used Jeep Grand Cherokee. I wouldn't say it's trail rated---I would say it's "fail" rated.

Favorite Features

Heated seats are very hot, stereo system if very good, and front seats are comfortable. Radio Data System is helpful on long trips. The optional trip computer is also a nice attraction on long trips, along with the comfy highway drive. It's all good until you step on the brakes at 70 MPH.

Suggested Improvements

Fix every problem listed in the review, upgrade the engine to more than 230 horsepower; standard. The Kia Amanti has more HP than the Jeep right now. Make fuel economy better as well. If Toyota and Honda can do all these things, why cant CHRYSLER, DODGE, and JEEP?