2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Superb Vehicle!
By JWR-11 on 06/18/10 17:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased 2003 Jeep Overland new in October 2002. Now have 90,000+ trouble free miles. Only recall by Chrysler was to repair the electric seat warmers. This Jeep still has it's original Goodyear tires on it! Rotated all 5 wheels every 10,000 miles. Great power and comfort. Will tow anything I have put behind it. I would have purchased another vehicle by now it were not for the great performance and reliability of my Jeep.

Get what you pay for (if you buy used)
By 2 time jeep owner on 06/02/10 14:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Used jeep GCs can be a great deal for the do it yourself mechanic. Sorry to those who bought new. I replaced blend doors at 85K miles with do it yourself kit for $200 through glove box, works perfectly. Rust started to creep through rear fender wells, poor factory paint job did not cover inside of wheel wells. Needed to change battery at 90k miles. Running strong with 100k miles on it. Bought it for $7200 with 80k miles on it in 2009, great deal versus other options for the money but I know how to fix minor issues and those issues are reflected in the lower resale value of this vehicle.

Best of the rest!
By hafwgthere on 05/17/10 09:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought to get rid of 2007 Tahoe incapable of towing my boat(up ramp) or parking without hitting a curb(no clearance). 3rd Jeep Grand Cherokee and best so far. Had to replace power steering hose, manifold gasket when i bought it but has been flawless ever since. Wife and daughter love the feel, fit, and finish of interior and exterior plus the power 0-60 --6-7 seconds. Like so much we bought a 2001 as well. If you use the internet you can easily find and fix any problem with a vehicle and save the dealer rip off and run-around. Every vehicle has problems even run away Toyotas.

Nice but Costly
By Bill on 08/26/09 07:35 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought used with 50,000. 1st winter no heat due to same issue THANKS CHRYSLER for no HELP cost $1,000. Then Cracked head @ 77,000 another $1,200 Now in for 2nd issue with Limited Slip Clutches $230 each time. Driver window repair $400 COME ON!!!! This is my 3rd Jeep and will Not Buy Another...too many other good options out there these days. Gas mileage average Hwy/City is 19 but wife drives it easy. Oh yea, heated seats repaired once by warranty and again by me.. quite working again. Really to bad as JEEP had such a good Brand Name..HAD being the optimal word

Seats Catch On Fire!
By JWR11 on 01/25/09 14:49 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

2003 Overland purchased new Oct 2002. 72000 miles and the same tires / brakes still in good shape. Runs great. No issues except it cost $750 to repair the heater blend door last year. Returned to dealer for electric seat warmer recall in Jan 07. Thought all was repaired but yesterday the driver's seat caught fire and burned holes in the leather seating area. Obviously from the seat warmer. Called the dealer and will take it in this week and see if Chrysler will warranty it, More later. Be careful of the electric seat heaters in these Jeeps. Seems as if others have had the same problem as well, from what I can determine from the Internet.

Great Jeep!
By W. Roberts on 07/31/07 20:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased Jeep new on Oct 2002. Jeep has never been back to the shop except for the seat warmer recall. Tires and brakes are original with 63,000 miles and have plenty of wear left. Lots of pep and very comfortable. This is my second Jeep and a great vehicle.

Like it!
By Renzo on 11/29/06 11:29 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought used with 24K on it. Have had to have the blend (heater) door fixed - entire dash dismantled, but successful. Had a power window break because it was froze shut and I tried to open it. Dealer where I bought it has NOT been helpful - in fact I would have to say they STINK. Another dealer has been GREAT! They got Jeep to pay for parts off-warranty and fixed things promptly and correctly. Seat could be a bit wider, other than that I love the vehicle, I just hope it keeps running and $2 parts quit breaking that cost $1000 to fix!

Great Overland
By UncleSampson on 11/21/06 07:13 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love to drive this vehicle. It feels like a kid wanting to play. Hit the gas and you're off to a race track. It's got enough torque to sink you into the seat. Very fun to drive! Everybody has to realize that this is an SUV and it isn't supposed to corner like a race car. All in all I think it does just fine.

Why did I buy?
By Jeep Junk on 02/08/06 10:03 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this Overland used with 44,500 miles on it and I have had it for 2 weeks. The first day the heat stopped working on the drivers side (I'm told is a common and EXPENSIVE problem) $680 I had that fixed after much yelling and screaming at the dealership. Now in the second week the truck gas mileage is down to about 10 miles to the gallon and is bogging down. I think it might have an upper intake gasket leak. It bucks when under power. I have put about 300 miles on the truck and this is the second time it needs to go in. What a piece of junk. I was warned about Chrysler products and wish I had took the warnings more serious. Next truck will definitely be foreign. Sorry USA.

Love the Overland
By Raven1 on 01/28/06 19:36 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This 2003 Overland edition is great looking. The interior is also very attractive, but I find the driver's seat too soft and too small. The vehicle does not handle that well on windy country roads. There is a significant amount of body roll and the seat does not seem to hold my average sized body very securely. I love the chrome 17' wheels. The leather/suede mix is nice in the interior. The 4.7 HO is very powerful and quick from a start and when merging. The sound system is good but not excellent. My wife is the primary driver of this vehicle and she loves it. The vehicle has performed well on all road surfaces and in all conditions. The creature features of the overland are great.