Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
To drive until it dies
By gkmichael

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have read some of the reviews in disbelief. I bought my Jeep 3 years ago at $4k with 190k miles,. Am a commuter for school and work. I put about 1,000 miles on the truck every week and since purchase, I have added 107k miles on the car but the 'thing' wont die. Apart from regular maintenance, I have only worked on A/C blender doors yet everything else works as it should. At one point I parked the car for a small Honda to save on gas. After 3 months i started getting issues with the Honda and went back to my Jeep. Am not getting rid of it unless the motor dies.

Favorite Features

Power exhibited by the drive train - even at high milage !

Suggested Improvements

Stability

6yrs of problems
By amanda82

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Jeep GC laredo 6 yrs ago and about 2 montha after purches the lifters were replaced and it went down hill from there. Hood wont stay up passenger window wont work. Cooling fan has been replaced 2 times. The relay for it atleast 6 times, the radiator once, had the last fan all rewired and after all that its out again and I dont know what to do. The headights and parking lights have started coming on and/or flashing with no keys in it. The heat only blows out of the defrost. Tie rod ends replaced. A/C dont work The list goes on. Would NEVER but another one.

Favorite Features

When its hot you have no A/C and have to run the heater. FUN STUFF

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING!!!!!!

Never should have bought it
By ktme

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Where to begin... Bought our 03 out of state at Crest in NH with apprx 60 thousand miles on it. From the week we drove it home I had to return it to the dealership 4 times for faulty hoses being put in it. From there we have had the following issues: 1.Radiator replaced 2.Passenger door window mechanism replaced 3.Interior lights have stopped working multiple times 4.AC/Heater only comes out of the window vent 5.Rust coming through on the back wheel well 6.Cooling fan just went on it 7.Hood doesn't stay open 8.Seals on all doors leakes water when rains 9.Shocks have been replaced. IT BROKE DOWN WHILE I WAS TESTDRIVING A VEHICLE TODAY!!! *SIGH*

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats and drives nicely, no blindspots and have good rear viewing

Suggested Improvements

Pretty much everything else! If I had more characters in the review i would have said more bad things about it :-(

Very Pleased with Grand Cherokee
By augrpeters

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2003 Grand Cherokee has been a wonderful vehicle for me. I have had none of the problems described by other 2003 Grand Cherokee owners. The only part I've replaced was the Throttle Position Sensor which the dealer paid for. I find my 4.0 full of power and has no trouble keeping up with other vehicles. My A/C still blows ice cold as well as every other feature works like new. As of today my car has 111890 and shows no sign of stopping. I drive with a light foot and average 23.5 mpg on my commute to work. The city mileage is awful but every car other than a Prius is like that. I have yet to get stuck it seems to be unstoppable. Not sure if I'll buy another but it will be another jeep.

Favorite Features

A/C Great Sound System

Suggested Improvements

Make the selec trac quicker to engage.

Awaful SUV
By jeepie1

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2003 Jeep GC is almost new!!! because I have had every thing replaced in it. Some very common problems are fan relay, rotors, window mechnism, interior lighting, rusting, hydrolics to hold hood and hatch door, wipers. I also have had problems with parking gear, reverse transmission, front axle, radiator, all bushings are rotten, air bag mechanism has malfunctioned, CD player makes clunking sound, turn signalling system has malfunctioned, has lot of air noise, a/c is smelly, all shock absorbers have been replaced, brake claipers have jammed front wheels. Dealships are bad, expensive, non-courteous, time consuming. Will never buy it again, will not recommend anyone to buy.