2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
To drive until it dies
By gkmichael on 08/08/13 23:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have read some of the reviews in disbelief. I bought my Jeep 3 years ago at $4k with 190k miles,. Am a commuter for school and work. I put about 1,000 miles on the truck every week and since purchase, I have added 107k miles on the car but the 'thing' wont die. Apart from regular maintenance, I have only worked on A/C blender doors yet everything else works as it should. At one point I parked the car for a small Honda to save on gas. After 3 months i started getting issues with the Honda and went back to my Jeep. Am not getting rid of it unless the motor dies.

Very Pleased with Grand Cherokee
By augrpeters on 08/25/12 07:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2003 Grand Cherokee has been a wonderful vehicle for me. I have had none of the problems described by other 2003 Grand Cherokee owners. The only part I've replaced was the Throttle Position Sensor which the dealer paid for. I find my 4.0 full of power and has no trouble keeping up with other vehicles. My A/C still blows ice cold as well as every other feature works like new. As of today my car has 111890 and shows no sign of stopping. I drive with a light foot and average 23.5 mpg on my commute to work. The city mileage is awful but every car other than a Prius is like that. I have yet to get stuck it seems to be unstoppable. Not sure if I'll buy another but it will be another jeep.

6yrs of problems
By amanda82 on 07/25/12 19:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Jeep GC laredo 6 yrs ago and about 2 montha after purches the lifters were replaced and it went down hill from there. Hood wont stay up passenger window wont work. Cooling fan has been replaced 2 times. The relay for it atleast 6 times, the radiator once, had the last fan all rewired and after all that its out again and I dont know what to do. The headights and parking lights have started coming on and/or flashing with no keys in it. The heat only blows out of the defrost. Tie rod ends replaced. A/C dont work The list goes on. Would NEVER but another one.

Awaful SUV
By jeepie1 on 01/13/12 11:53 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2003 Jeep GC is almost new!!! because I have had every thing replaced in it. Some very common problems are fan relay, rotors, window mechnism, interior lighting, rusting, hydrolics to hold hood and hatch door, wipers. I also have had problems with parking gear, reverse transmission, front axle, radiator, all bushings are rotten, air bag mechanism has malfunctioned, CD player makes clunking sound, turn signalling system has malfunctioned, has lot of air noise, a/c is smelly, all shock absorbers have been replaced, brake claipers have jammed front wheels. Dealships are bad, expensive, non-courteous, time consuming. Will never buy it again, will not recommend anyone to buy.

Never should have bought it
By ktme on 12/10/11 00:47 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Where to begin... Bought our 03 out of state at Crest in NH with apprx 60 thousand miles on it. From the week we drove it home I had to return it to the dealership 4 times for faulty hoses being put in it. From there we have had the following issues: 1.Radiator replaced 2.Passenger door window mechanism replaced 3.Interior lights have stopped working multiple times 4.AC/Heater only comes out of the window vent 5.Rust coming through on the back wheel well 6.Cooling fan just went on it 7.Hood doesn't stay open 8.Seals on all doors leakes water when rains 9.Shocks have been replaced. IT BROKE DOWN WHILE I WAS TESTDRIVING A VEHICLE TODAY!!! *SIGH*

1st Jeep - suv owner
By heartland28 on 02/28/11 01:44 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have purchased this Jeep used with 1,12000 miles on it. I used Edmund's to research & price this SUV I got it for 6k with negotiations & cut the dealers charges - bogus cost add on using the how to buy a used car guide. So I got it for less then TMV I feel really good about it & now feel confident in my new learned skills. This Jeep is great my 1st SUV I wanted Reliability & A Safe ride. Gas mileage is good most vans like my past pile Dodge caravan with a 3.3v6 get about the same as this jeep. Tho both are Chrysler products this Jeep is the bread & butter. Fun to drive, very comfortable, & sticks to road with lots of power drives more like a truck rides better then most vans.

i keep hearing "poorly built truck"
By jayjay on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

So I was handed down this 2003 jeep grand Cherokee. This is my third car. The climate control stopped working. That means no AC in the summer, no heat in the winter, and no air to defog. I brought it to jeep, they wanted $2000 to replace a damaged part. Other mechanics wanted 1000. On top of that, the axle makes this annoying clunk noise whenever i apply brakes. Another $2000. The blinkers, brake lights, and many other electrical problems emerged that needed a lot more repairs. numerous mechanics have told me that this is just a poorly built truck. with 80,000 miles none of this should be happening. This truck has been a nightmare. I may take whatever resale value is left and run with it

Heat, defrost, ac won't work
By soldiersgirlcal on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a driving hazard, should be a recall, as I am having to take our vehicle to the dealer to get fixed, from what I hear is expensive. Have heard this model Jeep, from reviews seems to have a blender prob. Not good, as I have a child, no defrost, heat, ac. Ugh!

2003 Cheap Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4.0
By Whatquality on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wow. How can a type of one vehicle be so split? Some love it . Others hate it. Me, I hate it. Since I've owned this vehicle I've had 2 sets of rotors replaced. 3 fan relays. Now with a hole cut under the headlight I can replace it in minutes at $65. I now keep a spare. 2 window mechanisms. I can't believe an engineer ever imagined that a thin piece of plastic would ever hold the window up. The hood doesn't stay up. Wouldn't that be a no-brainer? Weight of hood. Strut to hold (I have a piece of wood). Now the best part. The engine dies. Anywhere. At intersections, expressways, in the driveway. And no diagnostic codes. After a couple of minutes right as rain. Dangerous! Illegal?

Can't get one like this one anymore!
By ole rooster on 08/20/10 10:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

So sad that Chrysler did away with the 4.0 liter engine. Mine is bullet proof. Have about 115,000K on mine and it still is running perfect. 2nd Cherokee I have owned and I love mine. Fit and finish is good, but the styling is what I like best, it just looks good. A/C still blows very cold and the stereo is wonderful. Power leather seats are very comfortable on 500 mile trips. Wish the fuel economy was a little better. Over all a good SUV at a great price.