Used 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Can't get one like this one anymore!
By ole rooster

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

So sad that Chrysler did away with the 4.0 liter engine. Mine is bullet proof. Have about 115,000K on mine and it still is running perfect. 2nd Cherokee I have owned and I love mine. Fit and finish is good, but the styling is what I like best, it just looks good. A/C still blows very cold and the stereo is wonderful. Power leather seats are very comfortable on 500 mile trips. Wish the fuel economy was a little better. Over all a good SUV at a great price.

Comfort, upright stance, reliable drivetrain, easy to service. Just a good vehicle that does all I want it to do.

MPG that is it.

Never Again
By Kurt

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Cherokee and my last. Mind you, this vehicle spends more time sitting in my garage than on the road. It has been babied all its life and looks like the day it came off the showroom floor. To date, the A/C has been replaced (all components), all the window regulators have failed, the brakes have warped rotors, it is noisy (wind) when driven at highway speeds, the A/C is not blowing cold again, the driver's power seat is broken, all the side mirrors have broken at least once, all the hydraulic lift supports have been replace several times, the clear coat is soft so anything that touches the paint leaves a mark. The list goes on and on.

Would like to say something is good about this vehicle but how can you when every time you turn around you're fixing something on or in it.

Every Gran Cherokee owner will have a problem with the power windows. It is a poor design that Chrysler knows about but is making a lot of money from. The right thing to do would be to have a recall but Chrysler is too cheap to do it. No more Jeeps for me.

Still running great
By jim in alabama

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Coming up on 2 year of ownership and still no problems. Normal mx and just replaced tires. Never added a drop of fluids between changes. I change my oil every 5000 miles and my Cherokee still runs like a top. Jeep did good when they built this one. Leather is still in great shape. All the bells and whistles still work as advertised. Just bought a Liberty for a tow vehicle for my motor home, hope it is as good as the Cherokee.

Ease of entry/exit from any seat. Great sound system, love the steering wheel controls. Cruise control holds speed accurately. Plenty of power from the 4.0 liter engine. Tows my utility trailer very well too.

Could use a little better fuel mileage. Can get over 20 mpg if I run under 70 on the interstate. About 17 is the norm for combined city/highway.

The worst vehicle ever made
By SO UPSET

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

It started w/the Rotors from the day I drove it off the lot.I've blocked it out of mind just how money I spent & the RUN AROUND from the dealership & the corporate. I fixed the rotors (later recalled). When I called corporate they told me it was too late, I'd fixed them. What was I supposed to do, be killed or kill someone else b/c of defective brakes and rotors. Next,the windows;first passenger side - 400.00+ to fix, then the drivers side & one in the back. The blinkers work sometimes & others they don't. The locks only work with the Key remote. I'm too poor to anything about it. I've started (too late) to take tag numbers of other similar jeeps. I have sweat dreams of a Class Action.

So disgusted with the overall that it's really hard to have a favorite

Live up to your warranties - do the right thing by your customers. Don't put the service men on commission & if a customer wants to see the damage to a part - don't tell them it was disposed (while you sat waiting on the car - what did they put it some sort of incinerator? Need more characters!

2nd one 4 me
By jim in alabama

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Jeep Grand Cherokee and I am very happy with it. Would not rate is as high as a Toyota Highlander but close. I have had no trouble with my Jeep. Had a 1988 model that ran forever, 188000 miles and the only, thing other than regular mx, was one fuel injector went bad, (I fixed) and the alternator went out at 175000 miles and I fixed it myself, too. I could use bigger cup holders and better fuel economy, 16-18 in town and 20-22 on the highway. This is where Toyota has Jeep beat hands down. Plus the Toyota has better power and acceleration. All in all for what I paid I got a really pretty vehicle that is fun to drive and is practical for me. Great radio controls!!!

radio controls on steering wheel, cruise control is really accurate, plush leather seating, tows boat with no problems, really looks like a SUV should. 4.0 liter engine is a good combo of power and durability. Bullet proof engine and drivetrain.

Better fuel economy, I know you can do it my 1988 go over 25 mpg on the highway running 75 mph all day long.