Would not buy this vehicle
By jtrump on
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)
I bought the vehicle new in 2002. Did not take long to start experiencing problems. From what I was told this was the year they decided to make changes. One in particular they used non adjustable ball joints. This led to my vehicle pulling to the right which in turn cupped my tires. Dealer replaced ball joints but would not replace tires. Poor design in duct work. There is ample airflow from left side but barely non on right (passenger side). Was told this was by design. Had issue with AC not working, had to take to dealership several times before it was corrected. Drivers seat frame broke in two places. This happened just as vehicle was out of warranty. Replaced at my cost.
Favorite Features
Exterior design. 4 wheel drive system is still among the best
Suggested Improvements
Improve quality. Most of the issue with my vehicle seem to be quality and design flaws. I have had the vehicle since 2002 and have replaced rotors at least 5 times. Again was told it is a design flaw, vehicle was designed with smaller rotors than what is actually needed.
By jtrump
on 09/19/11 08:32 AM (PDT)

After all of the minor issues that I have had I hit a major problem with this vehicle. At approx 144,600 miles the engine lost compression. I took it to the garage and they recommend replacing the engine. Now I am between a rock and a hard place. Do I spend about $4K to replace motor, rotors and tires or just scrap the jeep and buy a more reliable foreign made suv.