2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: There's Better Out There

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Laredo 4dr SUV (4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

There's Better Out There
By Graysith on

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 8-cyl model as a lease, intending to keep it for 200K+ miles. Routine maintenance, no problems except rear rotors until 95K miles. Then front end going out (typical for jeep, due to BAD design flaw) and 4WD biting the dust... plus I had to put in new front rotors and front hub assemblies. I am terribly disappointed in the lack of high-mile dependability of this vehicle; my Mustang was better! No wonder the power train warranty is only to 70K. After reading other reviews I am now heading to a Nissan dealer; too much $$$ to spend on a vehicle with 97K miles. Owners, look out for that "magic" 100+/-K miles on the odometer, you'll be in for trouble I guarantee it!

Light sensing inside rear view mirror, temp/mileage console, steering wheel stereo controls, comfy ride, luxurious interior... but I'd trade it all for something that doesn't prematurely fall apart... which is exactly what I'm going to do.

Ummm... make it reliable? Good parts? BETTER DESIGN??? What happened to "American tough?" My Mustang went to 147K mile with nary a problem, still going strong when I (sobs) traded her for this Laredo. What a mistake on my part!