Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

great car!
By love jeeps

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this jeep new and it was the third Grand Cherokee I've bought. This one has been the best of the three (not that I had much trouble with the first two). No major mechanical problems. Gas mileage in the city is 17 and on the highway 21-23. Goes great in the snow. Original tires (goodyear) were terrible, only lasted 23000 miles just like on the first 2 jeeps I had. but the tires I have bought since all lasted the warranty amount(various brands). Great SUV!

Favorite Features

fwd and sitting up high. solidly built

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage and more front legroom

Nothing but Problems
By Brad

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Jeep with 51K miles on it. Not even 12 months after buying it the problems started and they haven't stopped since. I've replaced the following: front passenger window motor, rear passenger window motor, radiator fan (2x), radiator fan relay (2x), A/C coolant, rear brakes, turned front rotors, and the gas cap. I still am in the process of replacing the passenger side mirror and both tweeters. I now have 82K miles on it and I haven't had any problems with the engine and transmission. There are more minor problems that I have but not enough room to write about it.

Favorite Features

The amount of torque.

Suggested Improvements

The plastic features inside are poorly built

Looks Great! BUT ALWAYS IN THE MECHANICS
By kulik3192

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Loved the car as soon as I saw. I even paid STICKER PRICE!!!! I thought it was worth every penny. Not even 1 week in the check engine comes on.... I have put in almost more than 4-5K in some normal maintenance but some that are just annoying... For one thing it never starts right, always cranks over and over! I am one that hates when ppl ride their brakes, so I know I dont but the brake pads go so fast. I had to replace the routers three times already. Now its starting to stall on me. I just put 1500 into about two weeks ago and now the radiator just went the other day while i was driving. I ONLY HAVE 75,000 Miles on it. over a 100k would make sense. Looking to just trade it in, with a loss.

Favorite Features

I did love how it dove when it did run correct. Sound system is great, 4wd works so good! (Its a Jeep!) Seats are so comfortable in the front.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat has NO room, feels like im a in a coupe when i seat back there. Test drove a 2012 the other day, loved it but the price for the base model isnt to bad... but I can a Ford Escape Limited/GMC Terrain pretty much fully loaded for a little more than the Laredo. Im probably going to get the new GMC Terrain for the price, cant really go wrong

Turning into a money pit
By cindy314

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first and only car. Was bought in 2005 or 6 with 40k-ish miles. Since then I have replaced the window regulator SEVEN times. Seriously learn to fix it yourself, the part costs about $70. Costs $300-400 at a mechanic. Fan relay broke once. Now the Throttle position sensor is jacked up and causing me to stall out while idling occasionally. Tail lights are just always out - honest to god I rigged it with tinfoil and that seems to work the longest. Battery seems to need replacing yearly. It has always groaned/vibrated when making slow tight turns no one seems to know what it is. All of the hydrolics for the lift gate/hood dont work. Basically, only buy it if you a fairly handy.

Favorite Features

Well it has cushy seats. Also I hear it can BLOW UP if rear ended which is a nifty feature.

Suggested Improvements

Seriously, definitely don't buy this used anymore. I am only hanging on to it cause it is paid off. Also don't EVER put a drink in the cupholder. It will tip over in your passengers lap. (sorry mom!)

Dont be fooled
By bigderrick

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Funny: My 3rd GC. Overland Model. Well maintained @ 60k, the climate control quit working, both seat warmers quit, Ready for 3rd brake job. Cost new $37K. Now needs over $2K work just to make it worth $8k according to KBB. Foolishly thought about trading it in on a new GC. The first thing the tech inspected was climate control, 2nd seat warmers. Internet cites say this is very common. Service department gives me encouragement that if they fix the climate control, they'll put in stronger air flaps than original. This is just plain wrong. I cannot bring myself to buy another Jeep. Had he admitted Jeeps poor design and repaired accordingly, I would of bought a new GC but got murano le.