2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Brake issues
By bf5013 on 05/15/06 04:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second and last Jeep I will ever purchase. I love Jeeps, but Chrysler does not love their customers, they have brake rotor issues. First brake job at 18,000 miles (warranty). Second at 28,000 "good will" warranty; we paid the labor! Third is now at 38,000 miles, they claim they don't have any brake problems. I'm here to warn you, they do have brake problems and it is expensive! Nissan Pathfinder here I come.

Luv my jeep
By JeepJeep on 05/04/06 13:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Jeep 4.5 years, and have loved it. I'm looking at the '06 (I want a nav system among other things). It's a comfy ride -- not marshmallow soft, comfy enough, and it's great when I drive out in the hills/mountains. I have great confidence in the power and handling. Love my Jeep !

Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
By Steve on 04/15/06 09:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought in March 2002 new. Now 70k miles. Problems only: brakes and rotors fixed 4 times, differential leak twice-still leaking, ac air blend door actuator replacement ($1300), starter, power steering line replacement-leaking again!, CD changer-just installed third one!, fuel pump, passenger side mirror memory replaced by dealer at 20k-still not working, front and rear shocks leaking at 40k!, noisy power steering, battery died at 12k, heater core replacement at 57k, lights on dashbord goes off sometimes for a few seconds! WHAT NEXT? Are this parts from 99 cents store? Manufacturer should include extra Jeep with purchase of new one for parts like buy 1 get 1 free.

Would buy another one!
By LRJeep on 02/27/06 12:45 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new and have loved every day of it. If your main concern is great gas mileage you don't need an SUV, but if you want to do any off roading you want a Jeep. On road manners are great and it is a lot of fun to drive. I have the 4.0 I6 which is nothing but reliable. Select Trac will go anywhere. If you are reading this you are probably looking for a used vehicle. Don't be afraid of these. Hints: Look for one with the 7/70 powertrain warranty remaining. Also, service can be okay or a nightmare depending on the dealership.

Love My Jeep!
By Andrew on 02/27/06 08:58 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited Edition with probably all the bells and whistles of the Overland Edition. I have the POWERFUL 4.7L High Output V8 engine that literally throws passengers heads back when you punch the gas. I have the Quadra Drive 4WD system with 3 well placed skid plates in the front, middle, and rear of my Jeep and I am able to go most anywhere I want to whenever I go onto the trails. Yes I said trails, don't be fooled, just cause I have leather and heated 10 way power seats with dual climate control and every creature comfort possible in the cabin, as well as an amazing sound system, I can still take my Jeep out on the weekend and tear up the trails.

Poor Service
By 02JGC on 02/19/06 21:20 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a comfortable vehicle for long trips. Brakes and handling are soft. While I love the looks & comfort, service is non-existent. The memory feature has not worked properly from the time we bought it. The rear-end had bad bearings, and the A/C only works on short trips & leaks on the floor. These problems were all taken to several different dealerships, and the common response was "Could not Duplicate" the problem. The only thing that was fixed was the bearing, only because I told them what bearing to fix. Three of the four window regulators have broken. The transmission operates normally for the most part but will slam in & out of gear occasionally. Fuel mileage is at 20 mpg.

Great Mid-Sized SUV
By Jim on 02/18/06 11:29 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 2002 Grand Cherokee Since Sept. 2001. We have the Laredo V8, with leather, sunroof, heated seats, and the upgraded audio package. This is my 4th Jeep, and the 3rd Grand Cherokee in our family. We have two kids, two dogs, two jet skis, and a 24' power boat - this truck handles it all. I have only had one major repair related to the defroster, but it was expensive ($1000). I follow the maintenance schedule and get great reliability. We live in Chicago, and I never get slowed down because of snow. I'm getting ready to trade this one in, and am looking for the same model with low miles. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a really functional SUV.

Electrical problems
By Rob on 02/03/06 11:04 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Shortly after the 36k mile warranty (37400 miles to be exact) the AC blend doors failed and that will require a $2000 repair; we have also had several electrical problems that come and go. Last week the gauges all started jumping before the key was put into the ignition. None of these problems are covered of course. We really like the looks and how comfortable Grand Cherokee is but the quality is very poor. We have two Mercedes that are of much better quality and I'm afraid that this will be our last American designed automobile.

Best Car I've Owned
By carcritic on 02/01/06 01:30 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the most comfortable used SUV you will find. I bought mine new in 2002 and I have never regretted it. No mechanical problems to date, with over 43K on the odometer. Offroad it is amazingly adept and easy to navigate narrow paths on nearly any terrain. On road it's a little soft but predictable, with a great turn radius. The seats are so comfortable (my friends Lexus seats are not as comfortable). The 4.7L V8 is a tad thirsty (consistently 17mpg), but the power from the near-300 ft-lbs of torque will silence any criticism when acceleration or off-road grunt is needed. The Quadra-Drive takes me to places my wife's Forester can only dream of.

Couple of Quirks
By golf26guy on 01/28/06 22:34 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I like it. Power of V8 is great. With Quadra drive, turning tight turns, jumps, jerks etc. from full time 4 x 4. Rear seat leg room could be better. Had a Nissan Murano; loved it, but would not pull my trailer -- this Jeep will with ease. Just hope the tranny and rotors hold up to 100k miles. Ride is a little shaky, not as refined as most suv's these days.