Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

2nd Jeep and really happy with it.
By Stephen

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Jeep and after reading what some people have had very bad luck with their Jeep I though I woud put mine here. I have had mine since 2002 and have not had any Major issue except the breaks this is a known issue with them, I change the breaks myself and save a ton the other Major issue was changing the coil pack but after 145,000 miles I figured it was due so it did not other me. One issue I had was a transmission sensor that was bad but it died during warrenty period so no harm no foul. I pull a camper with this Jeep and it always is there when I need the power. If you do the maintenance on it for the most part it should treat you fine.

Favorite Features

Towing power, interior quality, comfort and quite inside, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage needs improvement and when they made the new V6 engine they got a little better mileage but lost towing

TERRIBLE DO not NOT not buy this car!
By kk

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Unless you have boatloads of money you should not buy this car. Every problem I have read about is true. I got it at a good price, cheaper than most suvs, looks better than most, with 85k. Rust and bubbles on roof, gas cap, window failure, have to use my head to keep hood up, brake light on and off, interior pieces have come off (rubber around door), leather seats are like a slip cover, mysterious coolant leak, burnt smell, turning corners acceleration fails than jumps moments later without pushing it, engine light is now blinking, paid 160 to tow from 95 (the major highway when this occurred) and after reading everything I will not get it fixed and pray I will break even, still owe 2k.

Favorite Features

got the looks, and sunroof NOTHING ELSE.

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING, minus the pretty design part that is worth nothing to getting you to where you need to go.

Re-paired "bi-monthly" Jeep
By john

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Never saw this one coming. Our Jeep is on it's 3rd set of rotors, brakes, front caliper bracket. Also front hubs have been done. Rear rotors also warped replaced also. Fan assembly replaced (dealer fix) 3 power window regulators !Gauges reading off. Oil, temp they are reading on the highside. Was told it could be the whole cluster. Needs a new one.! Front end tie-rods both sides replaced. And let's see o2 sensor. And passenger door needs a hinge repair. The weld is pulling away from the door frame. Also it needs rear seal leak repair. Now I do not offroad this truck at all. If so I would exspect some of the things that have gone wrong. But this is unreal. Never again it's a Jeep thing alright:

Favorite Features

I do like the style of the truck,it does perform well in snow conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Give us owners a bail-out with all of the repairs that we have done. Brakes need a fix! Window reg change the plastic clip to metal !

Poor Long Term Reliability
By Joliet Jay

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Jeep Grand Cherokee was a decent SUV for the first five years - but for the last three years it's just been bleeding money. In the past 24 months, I've spend over $7,000 keeping this thing running. New rear axle, right rear bearing, left rear bearing, power steering pump, fuel pump, battery, fuel filter, power window motors (2), two speakers, hood shocks, all new shocks, tires multiple times, 3 new oxygen sensors for the engine, two new engine (spark plug) coils, new fuel regulator, starter. The worst thing is the alignment. Because Jeep does not allow the camber to be adjusted, I have a slight pull to the left, and need to have the tires rotated at 3k miles and replaced often.

Favorite Features

For the first five years, it had nice power from the V8 Engine and the fold flat rear seats are nice, allowing a lot of cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Seats should be taller, the seat hits me in the middle of the back. Gas mileage for a 4 passenger SUV is terrible, about 16 mpg. Reliability is TERRIBLE.....if you own a Jeep, plan to get rid of it at around the 5 year mark....from there, it will just spend you to death.

Disappointed
By a dude

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Still bought the car as it was my first serious buy ever. SO far, replaced front axle seals($800), transmission at 75k($2600), rear axle seals($800), front and rear wheel bearings($600), all around rotors and pads at 90k($500), valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket.

Favorite Features

Tight turning radius. Comfortable. Good looking design.

Suggested Improvements

4.0 is weak. Gas mileage is bad.