2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Has been a great SUV--68,000 miles
By jeep owner on 02/17/07 05:44 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned this car since new--now has 68000 miles on it. This has been a great vehicle for snowy northern winters--the best traction of any vehicle I have ever owned on ice and snow. Gas mileage is about what you'd expect with a V8 engine. Great pick up, effortless highway cruising, very maneuverable in town, pulls my utility trailer with garden tractor with no problem. Lots of features and accessories--sunroof, overhead console, etc. Have had no problems with this car except for a single warranty replacement of front brake rotors at 35000 miles. No other problems at all. Replaced the tires at 60,000 miles and they still had tread left! Won't hesitate to buy another Grand Cherokee.

Love Hate Relationship
By fort worth flyer on 12/24/06 06:58 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The looks of this vehicle make you fall in love but the repair bills and time in the shop make you hate it. We bought our 2002 Limited in 2004 with 25,000 miles. Thank goodness for extended warranties. During the 2 years of ownership the vehicle was in the shop 8 times for something major. Climate control, engine cooling fan, window regulator(s), CD changer, hood struts, seat heater(s), you name it... it broke. The rear end was clunking and front end was making weird noises when we traded it AND THIS VEHICLE WAS WELL MAINTAINED! If you're going to buy it, get a good warranty or have several $1000's in an account to pay for the repairs.

Fun, But no winner
By Don P on 12/15/06 15:31 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When it is running, it is fun to drive. Brake repairs due to leaks on two occasions. Transmission repair. Differential repair three times. Window motor failed. Don't do it to yourself.

2002 JGC
By JD on 10/27/06 15:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2002 Grand Cherokee was a great buy. I've only had a handful of minor issues with it...nothing that one wouldn't expect from driving 25-40 miles per day in city traffic. But with an average of 18-23mpg or so, it's not unreasonable at all. It's a bit squirrelly on the freeway, but it has amazing control in town. Driving in Houston, Austin and Dallas has been a breeze, even when hauling 5 folks or a full load of "stuff". I'll be drivin' the wheels off mine. Unless of course I get a newer one. (ThatÂ’s why I'm back to Edmunds). Someone looking for a fair sized SUV with good city driving characteristics won't be disappointed.

2002 Jeep GC
By mevansva on 07/12/06 19:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Roomy inside, good pickup when pulling out into traffic, very tight turning capability.

Love my Jeep
By sarah on 07/11/06 08:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV handles like a car but has the heft that most people look for when they desire an SUV. It has been fun and reliable to own this Jeep Grand Cherokee for the last 2 years. The only bummer...the silver letters on the outside peel on most of these models.

Still Love it
By overtime on 07/07/06 09:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the only vehicle I have ever purchased that I like as well today as the day I took it home. It is a great all around vehicle for towing, going off-road, taking on vacation, etc. It has done everything I have ever asked it to do and I have never had to do anything other than regular maintenance. With the 4.7 V-8 I average 18+MPG on mixed driving and have gotten 22+MPG on the highway. However towing 2500lbs drops it down into the 13MPG range. I will probably purchase another one however, the Commander is also in my line of sight.

Nice Looks, Poor reliability
By C Paltz on 06/30/06 06:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love the look and comfort of my 2002 Laredo but... I bought this Jeep used at 36,000 miles last September. Here it June with almost 57,000 miles and my air conditioning is broken for the 2nd time...not too nice in Florida in the summer. I have a power steering leak and the leather on my drivers seat is starting to crack and separate at the seams. Also, on the overhead console, the coolant low warning keeps beeping at the car's start up but the coolant level and quality is fine. I would really love another one that works great but I think I'll be trading mine in for another brand as soon as I get the air conditioner fixed this month.

Lots of problems
By Desert Rat on 06/03/06 15:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The first 36K miles went OK with only one warranty repair. The rear bumper was replaced (It turned a greenish color!). The crappy Goodyear Wangler tires wore out prematurely and I put Michelin LTXs on. The car handles much better and with less tire noise.The problems started at about 40K. First the driver's side window broke. (The dealer told me that this is very common). Next the circuit board in both tail/brake lights burnt out and the assemblies needed to be replaced. (Once again a very common problem). Next the passenger side window motor broke and the window dropped into the door. (Another very common problem). Now the car has a vacuum leak in the brake booster. My least reliable car.

Brake issues
By bf5013 on 05/15/06 04:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second and last Jeep I will ever purchase. I love Jeeps, but Chrysler does not love their customers, they have brake rotor issues. First brake job at 18,000 miles (warranty). Second at 28,000 "good will" warranty; we paid the labor! Third is now at 38,000 miles, they claim they don't have any brake problems. I'm here to warn you, they do have brake problems and it is expensive! Nissan Pathfinder here I come.