Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

WJ 4.7 HIGH OUTPUT: LOVE IT!
By Bart

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a fully loaded 4.7Ltr High output, I have installed a Magnaflow muffler, Removed the main cat and left on the pre cat, installed a K & N cold air induction system. I am also running Michelin M S radials(E-rated). I am consistently getting 24 MPG. Go figure! the window sticker said 14-19, I have never go below 17 and I drive this machine hard and it it has more power than I care to talk about Best machine have ever had on and off road. loves deep snow. Bart

Favorite Features

Everything is perfect. Headlights work very well with HID bulbs, and the wiper, rain sensor is the coolest thing! the wipers don't come on for weeks, until it rains the surprise :)

Suggested Improvements

None, too bad about the left side blind spot that all of my G.C.'s have had. Make sure the heater blend door update has been done if you buy one. it will go out and it will cost some $.

Not worth the investment
By j4man

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used 2002 GC Limited with less than 50k miles in 2008. JGC is pretty reliable and fun to drive since its more truck than car and I enjoy Limited features of leather heated front memory seats, power mirrors, power sunroof, 4WD as well as having a tape deck and rear 10 disk cd changer. But like other reviewers I have experienced numerous repairs and the poor gas mileage that make the vehicle not worth owning. Repairs: several coolant leaks and had to replace driver side power window motor in addition to routine maintenance. Frustrated with poor gas mileage, memory seat malfunction, rubber coming off of doors,and lack of side window defogger. I prefer Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot

Favorite Features

4WD, V8 power, power sunroof, front heated driver side memory seat, cassette deck, 10 cd disk changer

Suggested Improvements

side windows defogger, better fuel economy, better under hood construction for less miscellaneous repairs

Major Disappointment - Don't buy one
By Monte

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

After reading all of the reviews, I think I have experienced most of the issues. I purchased this vehicle new in Feb. 2002 and only have 75,000 miles on it 8 years later. It has been back to the dealer or repair shop of 14 occasion. List of Problems 1) Passenger side heater does not work. 2) Transmission has never shifted properly. 5 trips to dealer and still doesn't shift properly. 3) Rear axle replaced 4)Both window arm levers broke so windows wouldn't go back up. 5) Support arms for hood don't work. 6) Major vibration when turning (forward and reverse) 7)Lights come on when vehicle is off 8

i LOVE my jeep
By TheMercennary

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had it new since March 03 only had 2 window cylinders go under warranty I'm at 88k and I drive like I should have 500 hp. I am replacing tires and shocks now. The front brakes were replaced and upgraded to the new version, 2x as big + under warranty > around 50k .... The rear are good at 88.9 k still. Have a friend at work put new headlights.. N .. Boxes in for 90$ for both after shipping looks like new

Favorite Features

low profile vS police they will pull over mustang half a mile away b4 they get u lol . it holds as much as a pick up .the leather interior is sweet .

Suggested Improvements

if u like to go over 70 mph trailing a 20+ boat the trainy cant handle it. no repairs needed but i gave up the over drive trailor .i shoulda bought the 8 for that .

Dont be fooled
By bigderrick

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Funny: My 3rd GC. Overland Model. Well maintained @ 60k, the climate control quit working, both seat warmers quit, Ready for 3rd brake job. Cost new $37K. Now needs over $2K work just to make it worth $8k according to KBB. Foolishly thought about trading it in on a new GC. The first thing the tech inspected was climate control, 2nd seat warmers. Internet cites say this is very common. Service department gives me encouragement that if they fix the climate control, they'll put in stronger air flaps than original. This is just plain wrong. I cannot bring myself to buy another Jeep. Had he admitted Jeeps poor design and repaired accordingly, I would of bought a new GC but got murano le.