Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Don't Buy It !!!!!!
By Jeep Grand Garbage

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2000 JGC Laredo with all the options. MSRP $32,500. I have resurfaced the rotors twice and then replaced them, replaced fuel pump, 2 new batteries, I have a constant wind noise comming through the front passenger window. I also have an annoying popping noise that comes from the steering column everytime I put pressure on it. I wish I could get rid of this thing ASAP, only I am carrying $10,000 in negative equity due to the poor resale value!!!! Get a HONDA, ACURA, TOYOTA, or NISSAN!

Favorite Features

hmmm.... nope, none come to mind!

Suggested Improvements

I suggest that Chrysler step back and evaluate their process of building cars. This is my last Chrysler porduct!

Don't even bother looking!
By Alice G.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Let's see, where do I begin. My '02 Laredo has the 6-cylinder engine, which fails to measure up to most other v-6's in its class. Ever since the day after I purchased this vehicle, there has been a pronounced brake shudder when I brake (which has been fixed twice), and the transmission likes to make a clunk noise when I stop at a stoplight. This is my second Jeep, and compared to my old '95 Laredo, this one sucks! After this year I will sell it for the measly trade-in value that its worth and buy a Toyota.

Favorite Features

At least the air-conditioning works this one.

Suggested Improvements

Reliabiliy Transmission

Brake issues
By bf5013

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second and last Jeep I will ever purchase. I love Jeeps, but Chrysler does not love their customers, they have brake rotor issues. First brake job at 18,000 miles (warranty). Second at 28,000 "good will" warranty; we paid the labor! Third is now at 38,000 miles, they claim they don't have any brake problems. I'm here to warn you, they do have brake problems and it is expensive! Nissan Pathfinder here I come.

Suggested Improvements

Good old fashioned customer service! Fix it right the first time, or keep doing it until you get it right.

lemon
By george welch

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH TWO DIFFERENT JEEPS. TOOK FIRST JEEP BACK 13 TIMES ON THE TRANSMISSON STARTED TO LEAK AT 23000 MILES. WAS TALKED INTO A TRADE HOPING THAT THE FIRST ONE WAS A LEMON,IT WAS WORSE THAN THE FIRST ONE THEY REPLACED THE BRAKES AND ROTOR AT 5000 MILES AND HAD THE SAME CLUNKING FROM THE TRANSMISSION AS WITH THE FIRST I HAD IT AT THE DEALER THE FIRST WEEK WITH FUEL PUMP PROBLEM AND THE RADIO ALSO WOULD NOT GET FM. I TOOK IT BACK A TOTAL OF 12 TIME IN LESS THAN 7 MONTHS. .

Save tearing your hair out -BUY A TOYOTA
By ad_vitum2

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My jeep has been well maint. to the tune of $$. Although it has been taken "care" of, it has been been plagued by problems. Both bun warmers and the computer console burned out, the odometer developed bleedthrough on the numbers (you could see mileage when you had the trip meter on..) air cond leak (somewhere), evap system leak (somewhere).. IS ANYONE SEEING A PATTERN? JEEP stands behind their product until the magic 36K…then see ya. BEWARE-- do your homework BEFORE you purchase a product which doesn't have any workmanship quality. Shame on JEEP.

Favorite Features

Trade in value...at least there is some pocket change to use for a down payment on a Toyota Highlander.

Suggested Improvements

Quality. Pride. Workmanship. If Jeep wants to keep their customers, they better build a reliable product. I will never purchase another Jeep (I have owned a jeep since 1989... the old dogs were built better!) Too bad Jeep is losing their loyal customers to foreign auto makers...