Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Proud Owner Of A Rock Solid 2002 JCG
By ferrisbueller609

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am the original owner of a 2002 JGC Laredo I6/RWD with very little extras and I can't praise this vehicle enough. Now has 105k miles and no major problems to report. Did have the passenger window motor fail and the A/C had to be replaced last summer. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic on all oil changes since 1000 miles and the engine is still strong. Over 8 years, I have AVERAGED 18.5 MPG and get 23 easily on the highway at 70 MPH. From reading the reviews, it seems that my results are not typical, but I do take great care in driving and maintaining my mighty JGC. The exterior styling is classic, the interior is functional and comfortable and even without 4WD it handles the snow like a champ!

Classic exterior styling, great road presence in snow and rain, comfortable driver seat with commanding view of the road. An excellent daily driver with very little performance or maintenance issues.

Beware of window motor issues, A/C and the hydraulic lift on hood should have been more durable

Caution
By KJ

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

First, there is a recall on the heated seats so call Chrysler if you have questions. I replaced mine twice before getting my recall just this month (June 2010)- $600 each seat. Brakes have been replaced twice - rotors bad. Transmission went out ($3k). Passenger window broke ($400). Power steering problems, replaced blendor on heater ($2k) in 2006; air- conditioning broke now must replace compressor, valve and blendors again ($2k+); CD player broke; gas cap broke; I maintain this vehicle well but it keeps having problems. This is the 5th Jeep I have had and never had any of these problems before this one.

Power

Don't buy a 2002 Jeep Overland! Older Jeeps okay. But not the 2002!

Poor design on window motor
By JAN HANEY

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love everything about this SUV except the issue with the window motor. Replaced the window motor on the driver's side at 60,000 miles; back passenger left side at 75,000 miles; sunroof motor went out at 100,000 miles, now the back passenger right side just went out at 130,000 miles. Refuse to have it repaired at $350, so I'm currently looking to trade for a new car. Will not purchased a Jeep because of the window motor issues. With all the complaints about this problem, you would think Jeep would have recalled the cars to correct the problem. In the long run, they are losing a great deal of business by using choosing to look the other way.

Fun to drive. Love the body style.

Upgrade window motors in new cars so consumers will be satisfied and will be more likely to buy a Jeep again when it is time to purchase a new car. Admit faulty window motors have been used in the past and do a recall.

I Love My Jeep
By Mary

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was the second owner for this vehicle and I have never regretted buying it. I had just gone through a divorce and had to travel across country. I have never had any problems with my jeep except the recall on the radiator which was fixed right away. I've changed the tires once and have only had to change the oil and transmission fluid. I'm about to sell it now at 17,000 miles and am very afraid I will not find a vehicle as reliable. I highly recommend this year for a Jeep if it is a I6!

I love the style, interior, and especially the color of my particular jeep--Steele blue. I also really like the fact that it had a cassette player as well as a CD player.

Can't think of any.

Best choice i've ever made
By lovemuhjeep

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Jeep about two years ago, I had always wanted a Jeep, and had my pick of what I wanted. It was a great choice, I had a few problems right off the bat, I blame it on the dealership not the car! After I fixed those problems (normal problems that come with buying a 10 year old car) I got to enjoy my Jeep like it should be. I take care of it and it takes care of me. I feel extremely safe in my Jeep and have a lot of fun driving it! With the limited, I feel comfortable inside and love how I look while I'm driving it! I couldn't ask for a better car!

leather seats, heated seats, four wheel drive, how it tells me how much gas i have til empty, just about everything!

My passenger side seat doesn't move anymore. i don't have to sit there but i feel bad for those who do :( I've read those go out a lot.

• SUV