2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
One great jeep
By rjfster on 02/22/09 14:51 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 grand Cherokee 4.7 v-8 model at then end of 2008, as an upgrade from my 2x4 94 Cherokee. I have to say this thing is amazing, I take it off road almost every weekend, this thing drives as good off road as it does on road. Absolutly no problems with it. Only minor, routine repairs, brakes, one tie rod end and alignment, one o2 sensor. Perfect balance of size, good amount of cargo/passenger space, but not too big that its awkward driving.

Expected better
By KGB-Kenny on 02/16/09 05:32 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm seeing a lot of things on these reviews that I've experienced myself. Bought new in 2002 and have had problems with rotors/brakes too. Also the dual zone climate control door went bad (expensive to fix). Also hood struts went bad as well as the gas cap (you'll know when your engine light comes on)...I've seen these 2 problems a lot on reviews. Not sure the seat leather is actually leather - after a few years it gets a bit plastic-y. Also needs more leg room for the driver (I'm 6'2"). Overall it's not bad, but considering it sold for about $38k new I expected much better for my money.

I Like It
By kcrutchmcfr on 01/27/09 10:34 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in time for first child. Wanted something safe to carry him around. Been thru many blizzards with no problems. 76,000 mi and only on second set of tires, 2nd set of brakes. Just came out of warranty with no issues. Very Comfortable on long trips. 4.0 six is one of the best motors out there. This thing has been unstoppable. Just wish I could lock it into 4hi.

cry of the jeep owner "never again!"
By ron on 12/25/08 05:46 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this vehicle brand new off the lot in 2002, have had nothing but problems since day one. Breaks down at least twice per year, I am writing this becaue I am on Edmunds lookin for a Toyota, last night Christmas eve was the last straw, broke down again, seems like it wont come out of four wheel drive and am burning something, smells like oil. Am guessing from the transfer case. Constantly in for brakes and rotors, this is a design flaw, was even a class action lawsuit for the breaks. Power window on pass gone, not working, has been in the shop way too much for a new vehicle. Never again will I buy a Chrysler product.

Very Disappointed
By Raquel on 12/09/08 23:09 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle in 2004 with 19k miles. I thought I was getting a great vehicle for the price. Turns out the saying is true "You get what you pay for." In 2005, I had to have the cooling engine fan replaced (thanks for the extended warranty that was purchased but still had to pay). In 2006, I had the exact same problem- cooling fan replaced. In 2007, the hood struts went bad along with the gas cap that had to be replaced. In 2008, I had to have get the transmission rebuilt. The driver side window will not work nor will the left tail light (new bulbs, still doesn't work). I am not FIXING another thing, I'm getting rid of this piece of junk. To date this vehicle ONLY has 66,800 miles!!

There's Better Out There
By Graysith on 11/24/08 07:09 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 8-cyl model as a lease, intending to keep it for 200K+ miles. Routine maintenance, no problems except rear rotors until 95K miles. Then front end going out (typical for jeep, due to BAD design flaw) and 4WD biting the dust... plus I had to put in new front rotors and front hub assemblies. I am terribly disappointed in the lack of high-mile dependability of this vehicle; my Mustang was better! No wonder the power train warranty is only to 70K. After reading other reviews I am now heading to a Nissan dealer; too much $$$ to spend on a vehicle with 97K miles. Owners, look out for that "magic" 100+/-K miles on the odometer, you'll be in for trouble I guarantee it!

Be prepared to be re-repaired
By Snag on 10/25/08 04:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Jeep has the best TV commercials. Driving through the mud, under the lake, buried in snow, we all notice the applications. Owning 11 of the Grand varieties, and 3 Wrangler/CJ models. my first review. As far as the advertisements. I can't even drive my Overland on a rainy day, without the rotors warping, replaced at 16k, 36k, 47k, and needed again at 66k miles. To date, climate control problems ($900), starter replaced,3 batteries, multiple visits for unclogging A/C drainage onto passenger floor, drivers heated seat , CD changer not working, power side mirrors need exorcist. I have spent a considerable amount of time enjoying the benefits of performance in snow, ice, pulling the boat.

Still Not Sure
By us6inks on 05/31/08 07:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car for my son in High School. Within the first week we had 2 windows go bad. Something snapped and they fell down. $450 to fix each one. I have brought it to the mechanic for other "squirrelly" moves as someone wrote earlier, I guess that's just a Jeep thing. I talked my husband into buying it as it was a good deal, it only had 62,000 miles on it for 7k. He will never let me live it down. The car clunks when you almost stop and start again. Had that checked, they could find nothing. The car vibrates and knocks when reversing. This will be our only Jeep. A/C is currently having problems, will be in the shop soon.

Run Run, Fix. Run Run, Fix.
By JimR on 04/16/08 08:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car. 4th in a series of Jeeps, 2 CJ's, 1 Cherokee, now this one. Driven hard all it's life. Lots of highway miles, some city driving, long vacation trips, on the road, in the dirt, everywhere. Plenty of power from the 4.7 V-8, lots of comfort from the leather seats, lots of room for all the junk we carry. List of items fixed so far, starter, radiator, fuel rails and fuel pump, three injectors, drivers seat floor mount, steering box, power steering pump and hoses. Not cheap to fix, but with 118,000 miles and counting, it's cost less to maintain than some of my past autos. What happened to Jeep after 2004? I guess my next car will be something else. To bad.

Fun to Drive to the Mechanic!!!
By Joe on 03/27/08 10:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I can tow anything, drive anywhere, and have a blast doing it!!! The truck has looks, power, comfort, options, everything you would need. I wouldn't go near it again. It's a gas guzzler and spent just as much time in the shop as it did on the road. Mainly axle and suspension issues for me. I did drive it hard but I thought that's what the overland was built for. My mistake, didn't mean to use the 4 wheel drive, or drive through that mud, or pull that wrangler/tahoe/land rover out of the sand. My bad!!!