2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Trade in or Nurse along?!?
By Exhausted on 05/22/09 09:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Jeep brand new and now at 108K, it's sitting at the dealership with a $2300 estimate. Just spent $800 one month ago. It was fine (except for the brake thing and the fuel injector issues) until it flipped 90K, ok maybe not so fine. List of repairs done: brakes 4 times - same warping rotor issue under class action lawsuit, starter, radiator, one ds window motor, hood shocks, 2 fuel injectors, battery. Now needs: tires, rear shocks, steering column bearing, rear axle seals & bearings, heater core, rear hatch shocks. Complaints: frequent trouble dis- engaging from 4WD, roof paint bubbled early, pathetic GAS MILEAGE!!

Wish they still made this
By OldJeep on 05/14/09 12:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

While the ride is more "truck" than car it has served me well over the 178K miles I have driven it. Gas mileage is poor, about 20 at best on the hwy and around 15 in the winter around town. For the winter it can't be beat, powering through snow, slush and the assorted gunk. The strong torque to the rear wheels in 2WD causes some spinning out when accelerating from a stop on wet or slick surfaces. But slip into Full Time or Part Time 4WD and traction is excellent. It is expensive to own, I've replaced the transmission, numerous struts, links and what all but the engine will not die.

Great on freeway, great off-highway too
By RL Allison on 04/13/09 16:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Jeep used with 45,000 Arizona desert-mtn-backroad miles. Have driven it over Calif freeways, AZ hills and Nevada back road exploring. Only had regular maintenance and tune-ups. Replaced windshield with sand-storm damage; added dealer-installed tow system. Only recently replaced shocks and suspension; brake rotors, etc. I have thoroughly enjoyed its reliability and dependability in difficult situations whether highway or sandwashes, creek beds or steep cliff conditions. Recent engine work but have been greatly satified with this Jeep- also my previous 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4WD - in the past fourteen years.

2nd Jeep and really happy with it.
By Stephen on 04/13/09 04:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Jeep and after reading what some people have had very bad luck with their Jeep I though I woud put mine here. I have had mine since 2002 and have not had any Major issue except the breaks this is a known issue with them, I change the breaks myself and save a ton the other Major issue was changing the coil pack but after 145,000 miles I figured it was due so it did not other me. One issue I had was a transmission sensor that was bad but it died during warrenty period so no harm no foul. I pull a camper with this Jeep and it always is there when I need the power. If you do the maintenance on it for the most part it should treat you fine.

TERRIBLE DO not NOT not buy this car!
By kk on 03/31/09 20:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Unless you have boatloads of money you should not buy this car. Every problem I have read about is true. I got it at a good price, cheaper than most suvs, looks better than most, with 85k. Rust and bubbles on roof, gas cap, window failure, have to use my head to keep hood up, brake light on and off, interior pieces have come off (rubber around door), leather seats are like a slip cover, mysterious coolant leak, burnt smell, turning corners acceleration fails than jumps moments later without pushing it, engine light is now blinking, paid 160 to tow from 95 (the major highway when this occurred) and after reading everything I will not get it fixed and pray I will break even, still owe 2k.

Re-paired "bi-monthly" Jeep
By john on 03/23/09 07:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Never saw this one coming. Our Jeep is on it's 3rd set of rotors, brakes, front caliper bracket. Also front hubs have been done. Rear rotors also warped replaced also. Fan assembly replaced (dealer fix) 3 power window regulators !Gauges reading off. Oil, temp they are reading on the highside. Was told it could be the whole cluster. Needs a new one.! Front end tie-rods both sides replaced. And let's see o2 sensor. And passenger door needs a hinge repair. The weld is pulling away from the door frame. Also it needs rear seal leak repair. Now I do not offroad this truck at all. If so I would exspect some of the things that have gone wrong. But this is unreal. Never again it's a Jeep thing alright:

Poor Long Term Reliability
By Joliet Jay on 03/21/09 09:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Jeep Grand Cherokee was a decent SUV for the first five years - but for the last three years it's just been bleeding money. In the past 24 months, I've spend over $7,000 keeping this thing running. New rear axle, right rear bearing, left rear bearing, power steering pump, fuel pump, battery, fuel filter, power window motors (2), two speakers, hood shocks, all new shocks, tires multiple times, 3 new oxygen sensors for the engine, two new engine (spark plug) coils, new fuel regulator, starter. The worst thing is the alignment. Because Jeep does not allow the camber to be adjusted, I have a slight pull to the left, and need to have the tires rotated at 3k miles and replaced often.

Disappointed
By a dude on 03/11/09 18:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Still bought the car as it was my first serious buy ever. SO far, replaced front axle seals($800), transmission at 75k($2600), rear axle seals($800), front and rear wheel bearings($600), all around rotors and pads at 90k($500), valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket.

One great jeep
By rjfster on 02/22/09 14:51 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 grand Cherokee 4.7 v-8 model at then end of 2008, as an upgrade from my 2x4 94 Cherokee. I have to say this thing is amazing, I take it off road almost every weekend, this thing drives as good off road as it does on road. Absolutly no problems with it. Only minor, routine repairs, brakes, one tie rod end and alignment, one o2 sensor. Perfect balance of size, good amount of cargo/passenger space, but not too big that its awkward driving.

Expected better
By KGB-Kenny on 02/16/09 05:32 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm seeing a lot of things on these reviews that I've experienced myself. Bought new in 2002 and have had problems with rotors/brakes too. Also the dual zone climate control door went bad (expensive to fix). Also hood struts went bad as well as the gas cap (you'll know when your engine light comes on)...I've seen these 2 problems a lot on reviews. Not sure the seat leather is actually leather - after a few years it gets a bit plastic-y. Also needs more leg room for the driver (I'm 6'2"). Overall it's not bad, but considering it sold for about $38k new I expected much better for my money.