Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Jeep can be better
By gvartanian

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had mine for just over two years, I had a couple of issues the worst is the steering system & suspension. My previous Jeep had the same problem with the Steering and Suspension issues these cars are not meant to be abused too much. I think Chrysler needs to improve this if it wants to stay with the competition. Toyota finally learned its lesson after a few years of screwing up on the 4 Runner, that the 2004 4 runner is actually better then the Grand Cherokee Laredo. Yes it's a little more expensive but it's worth it. If Chrysler cannot improve the quality of this model, especial when the new version comes out in 2005, then my next SUV will be a Toyota 4 Runner.

Favorite Features

Great pick-up for a V6 and comfort is good it's a great utility and off roader.

Suggested Improvements

The steering & suspension reliabity needs to be improved. The gear box needs to be redesigned for better durabilty.

Just Powerful!
By peteroverland

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my fourth grand cherokee, I had a 93 limited V8,96 Limited V8, and 99 Limited V8. This is by far the fastest and most powerful. The engine just roars when you hit the gas. I have given many young kids a run for their money in my truck. After my jeep leaves them in the dust they come up to me and ask whats under the hood. I love the overall look of the truck. I added 17 chrome rims and a moldeld plastic brush guard for a cooler look. Only complaint is starter failed after 30,000 miles and spark plugs had to be changed.

Favorite Features

4.7 HO, chrome rims, leather / sude seats (very comfortable)

Suggested Improvements

HID lights, dual borla exhaust, maybe an engine from mercedes (5.4 litre supercharged (469 HP). Call it a grand cherokee 55

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition
By Tim Chowning

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition 4WD with 31,000 miles. Excellent Condition both mechanically and physically. Vehicle has perfomed flawless, however it does appear to be less fuel efficient than my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats and Adjustable Foot Pedals. Vehicle is quick to acclerate even with the 6 cylinder engine.

Suggested Improvements

None

Do yourself a favor...buy something else
By fedup0174

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 JGC Limited with the 4.7L high output engine in December of 2001 and have regretted it ever since. 30 minutes after I drove it off the lot a hose came off, overheating the engine and stranding me. The Jeep has been at the dealership 6 times for brake problems and after over $2000 in repairs still have the same problem. The mirror memory has never worked, has to be set every time vehicle is started. It likes to die at stop lights for no apparent reason and after a $1200 "tune-up" at the Dealer and given a clean bill of health continues to do so. The starter has failed and been in the shop twice and recently started failing again.

Favorite Features

Powerful V8 engine (when it runs)

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Apparently, too much to ask for.

AWESOME OVERLAND - UPDATE
By Dave L.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Refer to Dave C. review earlier...I now have 68,500 miles on my '02 JGC Overland...original tires, brakes etc...I have not had any work done other than normal oil changes and tire rotation. I've joined a local Jeep club and have taken the JGC in places I would never take my 4wd Dodge truck. Also took a Colorado trip and at 14k feet, the view is remarkable. I'll never own another SUV.

Favorite Features

I like all the features but would like to see a rear entertainment pkg in the future. Am going to put the RB1 NAV system in later this year.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.