Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Best Jeep So Far
By Jeep Ryan

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 19,000 miles and have put close to 19 on it myself. I have it serviced at the proper intervals and have had no problems at all. Looks like I will need my brake pads replaced ssoon as they've recently been squeaking (37 k miles). The MPG is typical for a 4X4, but worse than my two previous Ford Explorers. Great sound system- I love the 10 disc changer. Power is average. If you crave power, you definitely need to get the V-8. My only real complaint is the A/C-- on really hot days it is terrible! Have taken it off-roading and through deep snow-- goes through it easily. Very good ride on long trips.

Favorite Features

10 Disc CD changer, comfortable ride

Suggested Improvements

A/C needs MAJOR improvement

nice suv
By tanyaduke

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

it has been a good car!

Save tearing your hair out -BUY A TOYOTA
By ad_vitum2

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My jeep has been well maint. to the tune of $$. Although it has been taken "care" of, it has been been plagued by problems. Both bun warmers and the computer console burned out, the odometer developed bleedthrough on the numbers (you could see mileage when you had the trip meter on..) air cond leak (somewhere), evap system leak (somewhere).. IS ANYONE SEEING A PATTERN? JEEP stands behind their product until the magic 36K…then see ya. BEWARE-- do your homework BEFORE you purchase a product which doesn't have any workmanship quality. Shame on JEEP.

Favorite Features

Trade in value...at least there is some pocket change to use for a down payment on a Toyota Highlander.

Suggested Improvements

Quality. Pride. Workmanship. If Jeep wants to keep their customers, they better build a reliable product. I will never purchase another Jeep (I have owned a jeep since 1989... the old dogs were built better!) Too bad Jeep is losing their loyal customers to foreign auto makers...

Jeep Overland: Clark Kent / Superman
By Tom in NM

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I will ditto most of the other comments made on the Overland - but I would add this. Until you have an incident - a sudden flood, child darting from between cars, a person falling off the curb in front of you, a driver running a red light or making a totally un-natural turn in front of you - you only see the Clark Kent side of this Jeep. I have been amazed at how fast, how nimble, how go-anywhere this Super Jeep is when these things happen. I know mine has saved three lives and thousand of dollars by avoiding and circumventing accidents. This SUV has earned my respect and love.

Favorite Features

The full time 4WD - nothing like it on water or ice - constant control. The Brakes - you can stop with control on the edge of a dime. My personal comfort favorite is the seat warmers.

Suggested Improvements

Need more space for all the stuff that drivers pickup - storage space for notebooks, cups, candy bars, etc. is really limited.

Will my Jeep make it????
By trillium3

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This jeep is my first SUV, and my first "American" car in years. Having an SUV has been so helpful during the winter. Lately I feel as if the car is starting to fall apart. At 26,000 miles the transmission slips when cold; service has not resolved the problem. When I brought it in for the last service they found a number of items wrong with the car and kept the car all day. I've always driven my Hondas and Toyotas over 100,000 miles; I certainly don't have the confidence in this vehicle's reliability since I'm already having major mechanical problems. I'll never go without an SUV again, will stick to the imports though.

Favorite Features

Off-road useage; nice-looking vehicle that hasn't aged.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability is CRITICAL! Also needs to handle better on the highway (although it is fabulous off!)