Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

5th Grand Cherokee Still Needs Improved
By donfrench

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had 5 from '94 up and they're getting better but once again, with 60,000 miles I am suspicious of future repair costs after the lease is up, so will trade it in. I absolutely LOVE this car but reliability is mediocre and 5-star dealer service and Chrysler's hotline for warranty issues are disappointments. I weekly tow a trailer and the car does well; this one has the quiet Select-Trac because axle whine from both my last 2 Jeeps with Quadra-Trac eventually was intolerable at 60 mph. But - easy to get stuck on wet grass - no limited slip. Had to replace seat heater, gauge cluster, starter, brakes twice, & all chrome wheels twice - no warr 2nd time!

Favorite Features

Handling, responsiveness, smooth 4.7 V8, size, ergonomics, gas mileage versus other SUV's (true 16/20 mpg), flat cargo floor with tire in well, audio system, overall quietness, ease of entry, seat comfort and adjustments

Suggested Improvements

Chrome wheels quickly corrode, 1st set of rotors warp in 12K miles, door sill moldings rust through, white face gauges have poor dimming, tires should be Michelin M&S 245's instead of AS 235's (big improvement), make roof cross rails standard, sunroof needs to auto close on door lock

Go Anywhere Do Anything... Overland
By Riley's Dad

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is our second Grand and it by far is the best product yet. The HO engine can now only be surpassed by the new 2005 Hemi. It is a superb people mover and safe when it comes to moving little ones as well. I have changed the front rotors at 30000 and all is fine. Jeep has never put a large enough front rotor on any Grand. This is still managable. Love the body style and think it is superior to the newer 2005.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats, Adjustable Foot Pedals, Power/Handling. Steering wheel radio controls, Comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes (larger and stronger), Fuel economy if possible. Get the axle weight down 500 pounds. How can I get a second one in my garage for FREE?

Best of Three Jeeps
By denverite

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

With 45,000 miles on the 02 Overland, I'm getting ready to sell it and get into something smaller and safer (do yourself a favor and check crash tests on NHTSA and IIHS websites). Had two Grand Cherokees before this one, a 97 and a 99, and this was the best by far. Stealth luxury car aspects appeal. A solid feel to it overall. Negatives: brake rotors on this and the 99 have warped like clockwork every 11-13,000 miles. The pinion and axle seals all needed to be replaced at my 45 k service. Because ride is "jiggly", my wife hates riding in it. Average fuel mileage consistently at 13. Best mileage, on an all interstate run was 20mpg.

Favorite Features

Ten CD changer, steering wheel mounted audio controls, information center, remote tire pressure sensors,compass, real wood trim and steering wheel, acceleration,o/d lockout button on shifter, traction in snow and ice.

Suggested Improvements

Heavier duty brake rotors please! Offer a diesel option like in Europe, or at least a 4-6-8 engine cut out like with the Hemi. A V8 rated for regular gas. Adjustable height suspension like the Audi would be best of both worlds. I'm guessing they improved the ride on the 05's.

2002 Special Edition - Love my Grand!
By JGCSELovr

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned 2 Explorers before I finally crossed my fingers on the reliability issue got a Jeep. It's a superior vehicle all around: better ride, very comfortable seating, awesome power and acceleration from the 4.7, more tow capability, REAL off- roading ability. Averaging lifetime 17mpg (4.7 w/4wd), only 1 mpg less than my '99 V-6 2wd Explorer. Fewer quality/warranty issues than I expected. Best, most versatile vehicle I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Strong & quick V8, excellent off-road ability, serious sound from the JBL Gold audio system, comfortable ride and seating, trick steering-wheel mounted audio controls

Suggested Improvements

More ground clearance, cargo room

Update since 03/02/03 on my 02 JGC
By xyzxyzxyz

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've not had any problems since my last review. I have 39,000 miles on it now and I've only changed brakes once, at 33,000. Still my only gripe is that the A/C is not cold enough for the Texas heat. I still plan on keeping it past my 7/100,000 warranty.

Favorite Features

Looks, drive, driver comfort.

Suggested Improvements

A/C not cold enough for Texas heat.