Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Somewhat Disappointing
By DEAN BONNEMA

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have found this vehicle to be somewhat less than what we expected from Jeep. We have four main complaints. 1. It does not get anywhere close to the promised gas mileage. 2. It down shifts very hard when on the interstate. 3. The comfort of the seats is not good for long trips. 4. In the first 30,000 miles we had to replace brake rotors & pads, and had to replace fuel injectors, very little of which was covered under warranty. I would not buy another Jeep SUV.

I like the quality of the interior and the overall construction of the body. It's a fun automobile to drive and has great manuverability.

The seats really need more work. My leg goes numb when driving long distances and there isn't enough leg room in the backseat.

nightmare
By monkaass

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used with 54,0000 miles on it. It has been a total disaster. I got into the truck one night was stranded because the starter blew. 2 days later the blend door went out , with the stupid dual heater, which doubles your chances for failure. Whell began to grind 2 months after I bought it. My suggestion is if you really want to buy this vehicle used, don't do it.

Interior is nice

Mechanical disaster.

5th Grand Cherokee Still Needs Improved
By donfrench

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had 5 from '94 up and they're getting better but once again, with 60,000 miles I am suspicious of future repair costs after the lease is up, so will trade it in. I absolutely LOVE this car but reliability is mediocre and 5-star dealer service and Chrysler's hotline for warranty issues are disappointments. I weekly tow a trailer and the car does well; this one has the quiet Select-Trac because axle whine from both my last 2 Jeeps with Quadra-Trac eventually was intolerable at 60 mph. But - easy to get stuck on wet grass - no limited slip. Had to replace seat heater, gauge cluster, starter, brakes twice, & all chrome wheels twice - no warr 2nd time!

Handling, responsiveness, smooth 4.7 V8, size, ergonomics, gas mileage versus other SUV's (true 16/20 mpg), flat cargo floor with tire in well, audio system, overall quietness, ease of entry, seat comfort and adjustments

Chrome wheels quickly corrode, 1st set of rotors warp in 12K miles, door sill moldings rust through, white face gauges have poor dimming, tires should be Michelin M&S 245's instead of AS 235's (big improvement), make roof cross rails standard, sunroof needs to auto close on door lock

Go Anywhere Do Anything... Overland
By Riley's Dad

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is our second Grand and it by far is the best product yet. The HO engine can now only be surpassed by the new 2005 Hemi. It is a superb people mover and safe when it comes to moving little ones as well. I have changed the front rotors at 30000 and all is fine. Jeep has never put a large enough front rotor on any Grand. This is still managable. Love the body style and think it is superior to the newer 2005.

Heated Seats, Adjustable Foot Pedals, Power/Handling. Steering wheel radio controls, Comfortable interior.

Brakes (larger and stronger), Fuel economy if possible. Get the axle weight down 500 pounds. How can I get a second one in my garage for FREE?

Best of Three Jeeps
By denverite

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

With 45,000 miles on the 02 Overland, I'm getting ready to sell it and get into something smaller and safer (do yourself a favor and check crash tests on NHTSA and IIHS websites). Had two Grand Cherokees before this one, a 97 and a 99, and this was the best by far. Stealth luxury car aspects appeal. A solid feel to it overall. Negatives: brake rotors on this and the 99 have warped like clockwork every 11-13,000 miles. The pinion and axle seals all needed to be replaced at my 45 k service. Because ride is "jiggly", my wife hates riding in it. Average fuel mileage consistently at 13. Best mileage, on an all interstate run was 20mpg.

Ten CD changer, steering wheel mounted audio controls, information center, remote tire pressure sensors,compass, real wood trim and steering wheel, acceleration,o/d lockout button on shifter, traction in snow and ice.

Heavier duty brake rotors please! Offer a diesel option like in Europe, or at least a 4-6-8 engine cut out like with the Hemi. A V8 rated for regular gas. Adjustable height suspension like the Audi would be best of both worlds. I'm guessing they improved the ride on the 05's.

• SUV