2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Keep Trying Chrysler/ Jeep
By jeepjnk on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

For a $30k+ vehicle, the Grand Cherokee is more trouble than it is worth. 4 recalls, 2 rear diffs. later and only 10k miles. I should have bought an MDX!

I love this SUV
By sksj on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought this 2002 Jeep Laredo and love it. It is very comfortable and easy to drive. Looking forward to winter to see how good the four wheel drive is in snow and ice. Had a 94 Blazer and hated every minute I owned it and was very leery of another SUV. The Laredo has turned me around. Gas mileage is a pleasant surprise. If you want comfort and functionality-get a Jeep.

JEEP is a piece of junk
By gbyt on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 6 cyl 4WD JGC Laredo last year - I sold it with 17,500 miles on it. Nothing but problems, front brake rotors had to be resurfaced twice, fuel pump had to be replaced, passenger electric window motor went out, etc... Serious defects with a vehicle that cost $28,000. I also have a toyota tacoma - the exception being that this vehicle has 152,000 miles on it and still going strong. Until Jeep fixes these quality defects - I would be very hesitant when buying another Jeep vehicle - just talk with others who have owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Great SUV
By Goodguy on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle. It is quiet, rides great, comfortable, and has great performance and fuel economy. I am averageing 18.7 MPG. We drove a lot of vehicles before we decided to purchase the jeep. We drove a Trailblazer, Durango, Explorer. For just over $29,000.00 MSRP with Leather, V-8, Dual Power seats, Power windows and lock, AM/FM CD Cassette, and much more. Any thing from GMC, Ford, Chevy with the same option was $4000-$7000 more. The jeep is more responsive and performs better than the other vehicles. It rides better than the Durango or Liberty. The 5 speed auto-transmission and V-8 work great with each other. Before you buy anything else go drive one of these.

Unreliable
By Michael Howell on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Since my purchase of the Grand Cherokee, I have experienced multiple suspension and steering problems. After the amount of repairs I have incurred in just 9 months, I will most certainly never purchase another Jeep.

Junk
By junkjeep on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been stranded in a 99 Grand Cherokee twice. Please don't support Chrysler, force them to get their act together. Too many other problems to list. I'm a very unsatisfied Jeep customer.

I LOVE MY JEEP!
By r.k.b. on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

If there was one thing I hope a reader will get from this it would be to test drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I thought these things would be loud and drive like a tank. Wrong. My Jeep drives more like a Cadillac and I can see the road so well. I feel much safer and my kids love the looks. I do regular maintenance and besides that its worry free. Thank you Chrysler Jeep of Tuscaloosa, you helped me make the best auto purchase of my life!

I'M A BELIEVER
By Big Boy on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I searched the gammet for my newest SUV and researched all choices extensively. I've heard a few bad things about the Grand Cherokee, and about the others. One thing I've learned is not to believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. I know why JEEP is the leader in the industry. I have really enjoyed my trouble free 20,000 miles. I can see why 65% JEEP buyers are repeat.

Love my Jeep!
By LauraM on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I would love to buy a new Jeep if only they would start offering the manual transmission again. Mine is a '94, the last year they offered the standard. It now has 103,000 miles on it, still has the original clutch, and runs great...it is a real workhorse. I still love it so much I won't give it up. Now that it's getting older it does cost a lot to maintain, but it has been very reliable all these years. Only once did I get stranded...when the water pump went. If Jeep ever starts offering the JGC with standard trans again I will definitely buy one!

Second JGC
By BPG on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second JGC. My first a 96 limited. I traded it in for a 02 larado sport after 116,000 no problem miles. I got the 4.0 6 to save on gas and found I did not need all the stuff on the limited. So far a good move on my part. My mpg is better and so is the ride. The leather seats are better but do not adj as much. After 1,000 mi break in I toook it off road(dirt road w/washbord) and found the select track more fun than the all the time four wheel dtive I had before.