Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Jeep Cherokee
By gngarcia

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Jeep Cherokees, especially the 4WD Ltd. are great units. Drives great and looks great. The unit exudes power and the looks are high quality. It has the most comfortable seats outside of a SRX or RX330. Fine overall, EXCEPT, the miles per gallon. Chrysler needs to get serious.

Looks and comfort. Options. Power.

Gasoline efficiency.

Love Jeep, Hate Quality
By Aimeerose

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Jeep, from a driving standpoint. With the V8, it's quite responsive and fun to drive. Everyone always comments on how comfortable and quiet it is Great for long road trips and nasty weather. But this is the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. Luckily we bought an extended warranty when we purchased this vehicle. I can't imagine how many thousands of dollars it has saved us. Problems we have had: the rotors warp and need replacing (3 times so far, until we switched to non-Chrysler parts), bad power steering system, transmission pump, electrical shorts, jammed locks, faulty heating and A/C.

Seats are very comfortable. V8 and on-demand 4WD are great in bad weather. Front seat very roomy. Very stylish from the outside.

Poor reliability for just about everything, especially brakes, transmission, and heating/cooling. Poor gas mileage. Poor leg room in 2nd seat.

Great Vehicle, but
By Loveland

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle new in Sept 2002. Love everything about it, except that the darn engine light comes on at least every six months. The latest is for something to do with emissions. Come on, this is ridiculous.

Lights come on by themselves. All buttons on back of steering wheel. Sunroof, 10 disk CD, heated seats.

Get rid of the engine light coming on for emissions and other stuff that just doesn't matter.

Happy With Purchase
By The Rock

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo two years ago with 22K on the clock. Have had no major problems with vehicle, only thing that did happen was the drivers side window came off the track and had to be replaced. We bought the extended warranty to 80K so we were covered. Will be trading it in on a used Suburban - not because we are unhappy with the Jeep, we just need more room. We will miss it!

Sporty looks, handles pretty well, very car-like.

Car seems very narrow. Jeep should make a bigger SUV to compete with the likes of the Suburban, Excursion, etc.

Great SUV
By lhazie

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I absolutely love this vehicle. Very reliable SUV, although the rear axle was replaced after 2 years but was covered by warranty. It never left me stranded even in the deepest snow of Buffalo. The only complaint is that it is a little "wobbly" for some passengers. Overall it was worth every penny. And what a great re-sale value, if I can ever bear to part with it. (I've read a lot about the rotors, I have 43,000 miles on same rotors; no problem).

Interior design, cargo room, comfortable heated seats, reliable in the snow/ice. Tripometer is very handy. Love the auto dimming mirrors and the auto wipers!

Needs to be sturdier- sways too much. A/C could be a little colder.