Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Nothing but Problems
By Brad

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Jeep with 51K miles on it. Not even 12 months after buying it the problems started and they haven't stopped since. I've replaced the following: front passenger window motor, rear passenger window motor, radiator fan (2x), radiator fan relay (2x), A/C coolant, rear brakes, turned front rotors, and the gas cap. I still am in the process of replacing the passenger side mirror and both tweeters. I now have 82K miles on it and I haven't had any problems with the engine and transmission. There are more minor problems that I have but not enough room to write about it.

The amount of torque.

The plastic features inside are poorly built

Fun, But no winner
By Don P

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When it is running, it is fun to drive. Brake repairs due to leaks on two occasions. Transmission repair. Differential repair three times. Window motor failed. Don't do it to yourself.

Handling.

Chrysler lost a long time customer. Never again. Other two family vehicles are now are Toyota and Nissan.

2002 JGC
By JD

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2002 Grand Cherokee was a great buy. I've only had a handful of minor issues with it...nothing that one wouldn't expect from driving 25-40 miles per day in city traffic. But with an average of 18-23mpg or so, it's not unreasonable at all. It's a bit squirrelly on the freeway, but it has amazing control in town. Driving in Houston, Austin and Dallas has been a breeze, even when hauling 5 folks or a full load of "stuff". I'll be drivin' the wheels off mine. Unless of course I get a newer one. (Thatís why I'm back to Edmunds). Someone looking for a fair sized SUV with good city driving characteristics won't be disappointed.

Quick handling and driving characteristics in town. There's nowhere this Jeep can't go. It's got a fair gas mileage for its class and can haul a remarkable amount for its size.

I wish it 'tightened up' on the freeway. 70ish mph is fine, but with a cross wind and/or a little more speed... it becomes squirrelly.

This is my 3rd and last Jeep
By Lorrie

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Lots of trouble with rotors. Both front windows had to have regulators replaced ... right after warranty expired. Transmission problems. Trouble with check engine light staying on.

Leather and sunroof, but I paid extra for those options.

Don't care, won't buy another one.

Update since 03/02/03 on my 02 JGC
By xyzxyzxyz

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've not had any problems since my last review. I have 39,000 miles on it now and I've only changed brakes once, at 33,000. Still my only gripe is that the A/C is not cold enough for the Texas heat. I still plan on keeping it past my 7/100,000 warranty.

Looks, drive, driver comfort.

A/C not cold enough for Texas heat.