2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
2002 Overland
By crhoof on 09/01/14 21:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Jeep a little under a year ago an I've already up almost 20,000 miles on it. The truck now has 147,000 miles. I paid $5000 for the car and I've already almost put $3000 into it in work. The truck has no, NO, resale value.. NOT worth the 12.5 MPG I average.. Terrible jeep customer service, and no worth while recalls. I've had several wheel seals, drive shaft seals, speakers and heated seats replaced and Jeep says these are "not" common problems. It's pretty and comfortable but not worth time/money.. Save yourself and your money

Looks Great! BUT ALWAYS IN THE MECHANICS
By kulik3192 on 03/28/12 13:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Loved the car as soon as I saw. I even paid STICKER PRICE!!!! I thought it was worth every penny. Not even 1 week in the check engine comes on.... I have put in almost more than 4-5K in some normal maintenance but some that are just annoying... For one thing it never starts right, always cranks over and over! I am one that hates when ppl ride their brakes, so I know I dont but the brake pads go so fast. I had to replace the routers three times already. Now its starting to stall on me. I just put 1500 into about two weeks ago and now the radiator just went the other day while i was driving. I ONLY HAVE 75,000 Miles on it. over a 100k would make sense. Looking to just trade it in, with a loss.

Love it!
By carguy on 11/22/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this truck for about 6 years, and yes..the HVAC doors broke once, the rotors do warp if you are rough on the truck. between me and the wife..about 30k between rotor cuts. Not too bad considering. All of the electronics are great, including the seat heaters, and the 10 disk changer. Lots of power, and has been a very reliable vehicle for us. Tows a 5000 lb boat like it isnt even there. The Quadradrive is amazing, you cant get this thing stuck!

Caution
By KJ on 06/14/10 11:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

First, there is a recall on the heated seats so call Chrysler if you have questions. I replaced mine twice before getting my recall just this month (June 2010)- $600 each seat. Brakes have been replaced twice - rotors bad. Transmission went out ($3k). Passenger window broke ($400). Power steering problems, replaced blendor on heater ($2k) in 2006; air- conditioning broke now must replace compressor, valve and blendors again ($2k+); CD player broke; gas cap broke; I maintain this vehicle well but it keeps having problems. This is the 5th Jeep I have had and never had any of these problems before this one.

Dont be fooled
By bigderrick on 11/23/09 14:58 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Funny: My 3rd GC. Overland Model. Well maintained @ 60k, the climate control quit working, both seat warmers quit, Ready for 3rd brake job. Cost new $37K. Now needs over $2K work just to make it worth $8k according to KBB. Foolishly thought about trading it in on a new GC. The first thing the tech inspected was climate control, 2nd seat warmers. Internet cites say this is very common. Service department gives me encouragement that if they fix the climate control, they'll put in stronger air flaps than original. This is just plain wrong. I cannot bring myself to buy another Jeep. Had he admitted Jeeps poor design and repaired accordingly, I would of bought a new GC but got murano le.

Be prepared to be re-repaired
By Snag on 10/25/08 04:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Jeep has the best TV commercials. Driving through the mud, under the lake, buried in snow, we all notice the applications. Owning 11 of the Grand varieties, and 3 Wrangler/CJ models. my first review. As far as the advertisements. I can't even drive my Overland on a rainy day, without the rotors warping, replaced at 16k, 36k, 47k, and needed again at 66k miles. To date, climate control problems ($900), starter replaced,3 batteries, multiple visits for unclogging A/C drainage onto passenger floor, drivers heated seat , CD changer not working, power side mirrors need exorcist. I have spent a considerable amount of time enjoying the benefits of performance in snow, ice, pulling the boat.

Fun to Drive to the Mechanic!!!
By Joe on 03/27/08 10:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I can tow anything, drive anywhere, and have a blast doing it!!! The truck has looks, power, comfort, options, everything you would need. I wouldn't go near it again. It's a gas guzzler and spent just as much time in the shop as it did on the road. Mainly axle and suspension issues for me. I did drive it hard but I thought that's what the overland was built for. My mistake, didn't mean to use the 4 wheel drive, or drive through that mud, or pull that wrangler/tahoe/land rover out of the sand. My bad!!!

I Love It
By Yves on 03/17/08 15:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very good vehicle so far, very tough frame, good for years and very effective in wintertime. Only bad point are electronic gadget but it's a little thing compare to the great quality of the construction

Very Satisfied!
By Very Satisfied!!! on 08/24/07 23:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My husband and I have been a Jeep family since 1974 and my Dad owned a Willy's Jeep. We had a 1974, 1979, 1995, 1998 and then this 2002. This 2002 Overland has been the best Jeep that we have owned. It has 110,000 miles on it and still going. Sorry, but I have not I liked the Jeep product since the 2002 Jeep. Something happened to the back seat. The seat has shrunk. The back seat just isn't comfortable for the passenger. Too much plastic on the dashboard now and no storage area on the dashboard. I feel sad that I need to pick a different product for my next vehicle. Why ruin a perfect vehicle?

'02 Overland, Over-rated
By Ackdog RI on 01/09/06 11:08 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 7th Jeep product. The 1st six were great vehicles except for one transmission in a '93 Grand Cherokee. My '02 JGC Overland has had nothing but problems in 111K miles. Brakes, electrical gremlins, heater core @ 99K and now a transmission @ 109K miles. The tech who rebuilt the tranny says rear end due very soon. The car has all highway and some beach miles, so it hasn't been used hard. When the car runs it's a dream. Too bad it likes the shop more than my garage. Maintenance is per the manufacturer schedule. Build quality and reliability of the main parts is suspect. 100K miles is not excessive nowadays. This car should go 200K-300K for the price.