Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Turning into a money pit
By cindy314

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first and only car. Was bought in 2005 or 6 with 40k-ish miles. Since then I have replaced the window regulator SEVEN times. Seriously learn to fix it yourself, the part costs about $70. Costs $300-400 at a mechanic. Fan relay broke once. Now the Throttle position sensor is jacked up and causing me to stall out while idling occasionally. Tail lights are just always out - honest to god I rigged it with tinfoil and that seems to work the longest. Battery seems to need replacing yearly. It has always groaned/vibrated when making slow tight turns no one seems to know what it is. All of the hydrolics for the lift gate/hood dont work. Basically, only buy it if you a fairly handy.

Favorite Features

Well it has cushy seats. Also I hear it can BLOW UP if rear ended which is a nifty feature.

Suggested Improvements

Seriously, definitely don't buy this used anymore. I am only hanging on to it cause it is paid off. Also don't EVER put a drink in the cupholder. It will tip over in your passengers lap. (sorry mom!)

What happened to quality?
By natewo

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Cherokee with 42k miles on it. It is now at 80K miles. The bulk of miles have come from traveling from utah to idaho to visit family and neither me or my wife are aggressive drivers. Since I have owned it here is a list of things that broke. Both front window motors, replaced all four rotors, fixed the transmission, radiator fan relay, The bearings in the back end shattered causing oil to leak onto the e-brake whole back end torn apart to fix that mess, blown head gasket, cracked head, water pump... I was so excited to get a Jeep and to support an American car company. 1st and last Jeep I will ever own. Nissan and Toyota, here I come.

Favorite Features

I didn't drive it enough to really have a favorite feature... I guess just having it run for a few weeks without a problem was the 'highlight.'

Suggested Improvements

Start over. I don't know how you can redeem such a horrible mistake.

Would not buy this vehicle
By jtrump

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the vehicle new in 2002. Did not take long to start experiencing problems. From what I was told this was the year they decided to make changes. One in particular they used non adjustable ball joints. This led to my vehicle pulling to the right which in turn cupped my tires. Dealer replaced ball joints but would not replace tires. Poor design in duct work. There is ample airflow from left side but barely non on right (passenger side). Was told this was by design. Had issue with AC not working, had to take to dealership several times before it was corrected. Drivers seat frame broke in two places. This happened just as vehicle was out of warranty. Replaced at my cost.

Favorite Features

Exterior design. 4 wheel drive system is still among the best

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality. Most of the issue with my vehicle seem to be quality and design flaws. I have had the vehicle since 2002 and have replaced rotors at least 5 times. Again was told it is a design flaw, vehicle was designed with smaller rotors than what is actually needed.

Proud Owner Of A Rock Solid 2002 JCG
By ferrisbueller609

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am the original owner of a 2002 JGC Laredo I6/RWD with very little extras and I can't praise this vehicle enough. Now has 105k miles and no major problems to report. Did have the passenger window motor fail and the A/C had to be replaced last summer. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic on all oil changes since 1000 miles and the engine is still strong. Over 8 years, I have AVERAGED 18.5 MPG and get 23 easily on the highway at 70 MPH. From reading the reviews, it seems that my results are not typical, but I do take great care in driving and maintaining my mighty JGC. The exterior styling is classic, the interior is functional and comfortable and even without 4WD it handles the snow like a champ!

Favorite Features

Classic exterior styling, great road presence in snow and rain, comfortable driver seat with commanding view of the road. An excellent daily driver with very little performance or maintenance issues.

Suggested Improvements

Beware of window motor issues, A/C and the hydraulic lift on hood should have been more durable

Poor design on window motor
By JAN HANEY

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love everything about this SUV except the issue with the window motor. Replaced the window motor on the driver's side at 60,000 miles; back passenger left side at 75,000 miles; sunroof motor went out at 100,000 miles, now the back passenger right side just went out at 130,000 miles. Refuse to have it repaired at $350, so I'm currently looking to trade for a new car. Will not purchased a Jeep because of the window motor issues. With all the complaints about this problem, you would think Jeep would have recalled the cars to correct the problem. In the long run, they are losing a great deal of business by using choosing to look the other way.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Love the body style.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade window motors in new cars so consumers will be satisfied and will be more likely to buy a Jeep again when it is time to purchase a new car. Admit faulty window motors have been used in the past and do a recall.