Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand-cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

BUYER BEWARE - nothing but issues!
By lschulz

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought fresh off the lot in 2002 for over 50 grand. Nothing but problems from the get go, and the dealership hoses you! Jeep has awful customer service. Though a nice looking vehicle on the outside, i've had the heat fixed twice now, A/C is on its third break. I swear, heat works in the summer and ac works in the winter. It started making an awful whirring sound and I noticed it was leaking fluids all over the driveway, took it to the dealer and they wanted over 6 THOUSAND DOLLARS to fix everything!! Turns out it was leaking coolant, power steering pump was cracked, and the gas caps seem to be famous for giving out on these. Now transmission is going..

Favorite Features

Semi-trendy looking. Absolute hog on gas, pay about 80 bucks a tank and get around 400-450km/tank if I am lucky. It's comfortable to sit in but not reliable AT ALL!

Suggested Improvements

Everything. Just dont buy a jeep.

Looks aren't Everything
By Summer Raven

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

correct me if I'm wrong, but a new trans before 80k is NOT OKAY and this seems to be a common trait among jeeps. I bought mine at 60k. I got sucked in by the super comfy interior, stylish exterior and the price range. It felt luxurious to me at the time and I went for it despite problem jeeps I'd heard about. And guess, what they are all true. Lately it seems one thing after another so I am selling it now because I'm sick of pouring $ into it and having more things happen. I think a good car should easily go 160k with proper maintenance. Hopefully my next will be more sufficient.

Favorite Features

leather seats, sound system, roomy, exterior looks

Suggested Improvements

transmission problems and basic longevity

Beware
By John B

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used with 36,000 miles on it and 45,000 miles later, i am proud to say i am FINALLY getting RID of this car. The AC went twice, the parking brake randomly fell out and for some reason I just went through tires (found out that wheel barring was bent somehow). MPG is awful, the lining around the moonroof fell out constantly, heated seats broke twice, and the side paneling of the door started to fall out. I loved the vehicle at first, but I am truly not sad to see it go this week!

Favorite Features

Comfortable leather seats

Suggested Improvements

Take some pride in the reliability of your vehicles!

Best choice i've ever made
By lovemuhjeep

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Jeep about two years ago, I had always wanted a Jeep, and had my pick of what I wanted. It was a great choice, I had a few problems right off the bat, I blame it on the dealership not the car! After I fixed those problems (normal problems that come with buying a 10 year old car) I got to enjoy my Jeep like it should be. I take care of it and it takes care of me. I feel extremely safe in my Jeep and have a lot of fun driving it! With the limited, I feel comfortable inside and love how I look while I'm driving it! I couldn't ask for a better car!

Favorite Features

leather seats, heated seats, four wheel drive, how it tells me how much gas i have til empty, just about everything!

Suggested Improvements

My passenger side seat doesn't move anymore. i don't have to sit there but i feel bad for those who do :( I've read those go out a lot.

buy a older one forget about the 02's
By brandon

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well I am a huge Jeep fan this was my second purchase it had 40k miles on it when I bought it back in 05. Drove it everywhere loved the thing had it for a year put maybe 30k miles the transmission went out luckily i bought the extended warranty they fixed it a couple months go by the ac quits working ($1,000 repair) then the window motor breaks on the passenger window ($500 repair) another month later the driver window motor breaks ($500 repair) power steering ($300 repair)the heated seats broke the speakers busted didn't fix those two repairs. The transmission just went out again at 120k miles so I sold it for salvage because i refuse to spend another dime on it

Favorite Features

It was a great drive road great loved every bit of it 4x4 all wheel drive worked great. Very comfortable for road trips looked great had chrome rims every option you can think of everyone was like wow nice ride.

Suggested Improvements

Use better quality parts that don't break so easily. DO NOT BUY 2002 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED you will regret it buy an older one or a newer one that has better reviews (Still love jeep just bought the wrong year everyone has opps every once and a while)