2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Turning into a money pit
By cindy314 on 06/09/14 06:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first and only car. Was bought in 2005 or 6 with 40k-ish miles. Since then I have replaced the window regulator SEVEN times. Seriously learn to fix it yourself, the part costs about $70. Costs $300-400 at a mechanic. Fan relay broke once. Now the Throttle position sensor is jacked up and causing me to stall out while idling occasionally. Tail lights are just always out - honest to god I rigged it with tinfoil and that seems to work the longest. Battery seems to need replacing yearly. It has always groaned/vibrated when making slow tight turns no one seems to know what it is. All of the hydrolics for the lift gate/hood dont work. Basically, only buy it if you a fairly handy.

What happened to quality?
By natewo on 08/12/11 11:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Cherokee with 42k miles on it. It is now at 80K miles. The bulk of miles have come from traveling from utah to idaho to visit family and neither me or my wife are aggressive drivers. Since I have owned it here is a list of things that broke. Both front window motors, replaced all four rotors, fixed the transmission, radiator fan relay, The bearings in the back end shattered causing oil to leak onto the e-brake whole back end torn apart to fix that mess, blown head gasket, cracked head, water pump... I was so excited to get a Jeep and to support an American car company. 1st and last Jeep I will ever own. Nissan and Toyota, here I come.

Would not buy this vehicle
By jtrump on 02/25/11 11:36 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the vehicle new in 2002. Did not take long to start experiencing problems. From what I was told this was the year they decided to make changes. One in particular they used non adjustable ball joints. This led to my vehicle pulling to the right which in turn cupped my tires. Dealer replaced ball joints but would not replace tires. Poor design in duct work. There is ample airflow from left side but barely non on right (passenger side). Was told this was by design. Had issue with AC not working, had to take to dealership several times before it was corrected. Drivers seat frame broke in two places. This happened just as vehicle was out of warranty. Replaced at my cost.

Proud Owner Of A Rock Solid 2002 JCG
By ferrisbueller609 on 07/30/10 13:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I am the original owner of a 2002 JGC Laredo I6/RWD with very little extras and I can't praise this vehicle enough. Now has 105k miles and no major problems to report. Did have the passenger window motor fail and the A/C had to be replaced last summer. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic on all oil changes since 1000 miles and the engine is still strong. Over 8 years, I have AVERAGED 18.5 MPG and get 23 easily on the highway at 70 MPH. From reading the reviews, it seems that my results are not typical, but I do take great care in driving and maintaining my mighty JGC. The exterior styling is classic, the interior is functional and comfortable and even without 4WD it handles the snow like a champ!

Poor design on window motor
By JAN HANEY on 05/22/10 08:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love everything about this SUV except the issue with the window motor. Replaced the window motor on the driver's side at 60,000 miles; back passenger left side at 75,000 miles; sunroof motor went out at 100,000 miles, now the back passenger right side just went out at 130,000 miles. Refuse to have it repaired at $350, so I'm currently looking to trade for a new car. Will not purchased a Jeep because of the window motor issues. With all the complaints about this problem, you would think Jeep would have recalled the cars to correct the problem. In the long run, they are losing a great deal of business by using choosing to look the other way.

Trade in or Nurse along?!?
By Exhausted on 05/22/09 09:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Jeep brand new and now at 108K, it's sitting at the dealership with a $2300 estimate. Just spent $800 one month ago. It was fine (except for the brake thing and the fuel injector issues) until it flipped 90K, ok maybe not so fine. List of repairs done: brakes 4 times - same warping rotor issue under class action lawsuit, starter, radiator, one ds window motor, hood shocks, 2 fuel injectors, battery. Now needs: tires, rear shocks, steering column bearing, rear axle seals & bearings, heater core, rear hatch shocks. Complaints: frequent trouble dis- engaging from 4WD, roof paint bubbled early, pathetic GAS MILEAGE!!

Very Disappointed
By Raquel on 12/09/08 23:09 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle in 2004 with 19k miles. I thought I was getting a great vehicle for the price. Turns out the saying is true "You get what you pay for." In 2005, I had to have the cooling engine fan replaced (thanks for the extended warranty that was purchased but still had to pay). In 2006, I had the exact same problem- cooling fan replaced. In 2007, the hood struts went bad along with the gas cap that had to be replaced. In 2008, I had to have get the transmission rebuilt. The driver side window will not work nor will the left tail light (new bulbs, still doesn't work). I am not FIXING another thing, I'm getting rid of this piece of junk. To date this vehicle ONLY has 66,800 miles!!

Lots of problems
By Desert Rat on 06/03/06 15:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The first 36K miles went OK with only one warranty repair. The rear bumper was replaced (It turned a greenish color!). The crappy Goodyear Wangler tires wore out prematurely and I put Michelin LTXs on. The car handles much better and with less tire noise.The problems started at about 40K. First the driver's side window broke. (The dealer told me that this is very common). Next the circuit board in both tail/brake lights burnt out and the assemblies needed to be replaced. (Once again a very common problem). Next the passenger side window motor broke and the window dropped into the door. (Another very common problem). Now the car has a vacuum leak in the brake booster. My least reliable car.

nice suv
By tanyaduke on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

it has been a good car!

WILLING TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX
By PORSCHE1 on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I CHOSE THIS VEHICLES PRIMARILY ON ITS GOOD LOOK AND SIMPLE DRIVETRAIN. ON ROAD DYNAMICS SUFFERED IMENSELY WITH SIMPLE DRIVETRAIN AND SUSPENSION. OIL CHANGE HAS BEEN THE ONLY MAINTENANCE WITH OVER 46K+ MILES AND COUNTING...OH YES THERE WAS A SENSOR REPLACEMENT UNDER WARRANTY,AND DRIVER SIDE MIRROR REPLACEMENT ON THE NORTH SIDE OF WARRANTY, THANKS TO "CSI" CONCERNED REPAIRED COMPLIMENTARY...OTHERWISE LOVE MY 'TRUCK'.