Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Love my Jeep!
By Jack C

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2002 Jeep grand Cherokee since 2008 and it already had 67,000 miles on it. It is the straight 4.0 ltr 6. I now have 187,000 plus and it runs as great as the day I bought it. The most expensive part I had replaced was believe it or not the oil pan $600 as the old one piece that lets the drain plug screw into the weld broke loose and fell in the pan. I have replaced the starter also, but did that myself for just the part costing $145. I still use this truck everyday 25 miles each way back and forth to work. It is very easy to work on. I change the oil every 3000 miles and to be honest, I have never replaced the transmission fluid, but will do so soon. But this truck is like clockwork. starts up every day, drives smooth, it is a little noise, but I think if I had different tires it would be quieter. The heater still works great. The air cond just started to taper off and I will recharge. This truck is absolutely awesome in the snow and rain. I love the flexibility of the 4 wheel part and full time. I have never used the low, and do not take off road, but living new phila, we do get some extreme weather. I know a person that has over 500,000 on the same 4.0 engine. This is definitely a keeper. I did have a issue with the temp control that helps to regulate the eng temp. I was replacing ever year for 2 years and then I decided to replace myself. It is located on the passenger side wheel well behind the front Light. I replaced and found that they were not adding great under the module that prevents moisture from damaging the unit. I have now had the same part for 5 years with no issues. I recommend this truck to anyone.

2002 Overland
By crhoof

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Jeep a little under a year ago an I've already up almost 20,000 miles on it. The truck now has 147,000 miles. I paid $5000 for the car and I've already almost put $3000 into it in work. The truck has no, NO, resale value.. NOT worth the 12.5 MPG I average.. Terrible jeep customer service, and no worth while recalls. I've had several wheel seals, drive shaft seals, speakers and heated seats replaced and Jeep says these are "not" common problems. It's pretty and comfortable but not worth time/money.. Save yourself and your money

Comfortable seats, interior/exterior design, high output motor, amount of aftermarket parts available, speed, ride quality

Terrible electronics, rust buckets, cheap transmission, annoying dual shifters, lack of cup holders, tight rear seat, expensive to maintain, poor gas mileage

Trend Bucking Laredo Delivers 220K Before Giving Up the Ghost
By steve_f1

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my GC new, in Aug, 2002. Its only options were side curtain airbags. It's finally giving up the ghost, as it's turning over to 220,000 miles. It's been the image of reliability. Replaced: Starter - 175K, 1 rear wheel bearing - 130K, power steering hose - 165K, 1 ignition coil - 143K. It burned a quart of oil every 4K until about 180k, when it began going through a quart every 5-600. It still starts instantly. Brakes? Of course. They went rumbly 17K, but I then had them turned on the vehicle, and they were good for another 50. I upgraded them to the later style calipers, and added ATE grooved rotors at 126K. Sadly, it's leaking and smoking badly now. New ride time.

- Smooth power & great low end torque = quick off the line acceleration and effortless passing. - 5-speed auto trans, delivered excellent fuel economy for a V8 SUV. GM didn't go to 5sp autos until years later - Snow performance. - Ride & handling: For a live axle vehicle it's unbelievable, and I still have the original shocks at 220K mi!! They're not toast yet. - Manual 4WD system: Allows gas / wear & tear saving when 4WD not needed (95% of the time)

Stock Goodyear Wrangler ST tires: They don't deserve the name "tire". Worst tires on any vehicle I've ever owned, maybe driven. Changed to Michelins at 45K - night and day difference in performance and handling, and they lasted 75K miles. - A limited-slip rear diff would have been nice for off road and wet weather traction. It was available as an option, but mine doesn't have it. - Upgraded electrical system: Mine started suffering from the oft reported power window issues. Power windows only work when the driver's door closed now. Battery replaced every 2 years like clockwork, because they just died and car wouldn't start. Computer went wonky twice. All kinds of things until restarted.

Turning into a money pit
By cindy314

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first and only car. Was bought in 2005 or 6 with 40k-ish miles. Since then I have replaced the window regulator SEVEN times. Seriously learn to fix it yourself, the part costs about $70. Costs $300-400 at a mechanic. Fan relay broke once. Now the Throttle position sensor is jacked up and causing me to stall out while idling occasionally. Tail lights are just always out - honest to god I rigged it with tinfoil and that seems to work the longest. Battery seems to need replacing yearly. It has always groaned/vibrated when making slow tight turns no one seems to know what it is. All of the hydrolics for the lift gate/hood dont work. Basically, only buy it if you a fairly handy.

Well it has cushy seats. Also I hear it can BLOW UP if rear ended which is a nifty feature.

Seriously, definitely don't buy this used anymore. I am only hanging on to it cause it is paid off. Also don't EVER put a drink in the cupholder. It will tip over in your passengers lap. (sorry mom!)

Great for a First Car!
By carguru12

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is my first car, and I purchased it with 134k miles on it. It's a great truck, has the power I need, and the fuel economy is good. The seats, although cloth, are plush and comfortable, and the standard stereo sounds pretty good. I specifically looked for a Jeep with the 4.0L I6 engine in it due to the reliability of it. I love my Jeep!

Comfortable seats, good fuel economy, 4.0L I6 engine, quiet ride, good ride quality.

Chrome pits easily, bumpers scratch and discolor easily, wheels get oxidized