2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
BUYER BEWARE - nothing but issues!
By lschulz on 10/24/11 21:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought fresh off the lot in 2002 for over 50 grand. Nothing but problems from the get go, and the dealership hoses you! Jeep has awful customer service. Though a nice looking vehicle on the outside, i've had the heat fixed twice now, A/C is on its third break. I swear, heat works in the summer and ac works in the winter. It started making an awful whirring sound and I noticed it was leaking fluids all over the driveway, took it to the dealer and they wanted over 6 THOUSAND DOLLARS to fix everything!! Turns out it was leaking coolant, power steering pump was cracked, and the gas caps seem to be famous for giving out on these. Now transmission is going..

Looks aren't Everything
By Summer Raven on 08/18/10 19:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

correct me if I'm wrong, but a new trans before 80k is NOT OKAY and this seems to be a common trait among jeeps. I bought mine at 60k. I got sucked in by the super comfy interior, stylish exterior and the price range. It felt luxurious to me at the time and I went for it despite problem jeeps I'd heard about. And guess, what they are all true. Lately it seems one thing after another so I am selling it now because I'm sick of pouring $ into it and having more things happen. I think a good car should easily go 160k with proper maintenance. Hopefully my next will be more sufficient.

Beware
By John B on 08/16/10 21:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle used with 36,000 miles on it and 45,000 miles later, i am proud to say i am FINALLY getting RID of this car. The AC went twice, the parking brake randomly fell out and for some reason I just went through tires (found out that wheel barring was bent somehow). MPG is awful, the lining around the moonroof fell out constantly, heated seats broke twice, and the side paneling of the door started to fall out. I loved the vehicle at first, but I am truly not sad to see it go this week!

Best choice i've ever made
By lovemuhjeep on 03/24/10 13:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Jeep about two years ago, I had always wanted a Jeep, and had my pick of what I wanted. It was a great choice, I had a few problems right off the bat, I blame it on the dealership not the car! After I fixed those problems (normal problems that come with buying a 10 year old car) I got to enjoy my Jeep like it should be. I take care of it and it takes care of me. I feel extremely safe in my Jeep and have a lot of fun driving it! With the limited, I feel comfortable inside and love how I look while I'm driving it! I couldn't ask for a better car!

buy a older one forget about the 02's
By brandon on 01/29/10 16:31 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well I am a huge Jeep fan this was my second purchase it had 40k miles on it when I bought it back in 05. Drove it everywhere loved the thing had it for a year put maybe 30k miles the transmission went out luckily i bought the extended warranty they fixed it a couple months go by the ac quits working ($1,000 repair) then the window motor breaks on the passenger window ($500 repair) another month later the driver window motor breaks ($500 repair) power steering ($300 repair)the heated seats broke the speakers busted didn't fix those two repairs. The transmission just went out again at 120k miles so I sold it for salvage because i refuse to spend another dime on it

WJ 4.7 HIGH OUTPUT: LOVE IT!
By Bart on 01/28/10 14:49 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a fully loaded 4.7Ltr High output, I have installed a Magnaflow muffler, Removed the main cat and left on the pre cat, installed a K & N cold air induction system. I am also running Michelin M S radials(E-rated). I am consistently getting 24 MPG. Go figure! the window sticker said 14-19, I have never go below 17 and I drive this machine hard and it it has more power than I care to talk about Best machine have ever had on and off road. loves deep snow. Bart

Not worth the investment
By j4man on 12/17/09 00:11 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used 2002 GC Limited with less than 50k miles in 2008. JGC is pretty reliable and fun to drive since its more truck than car and I enjoy Limited features of leather heated front memory seats, power mirrors, power sunroof, 4WD as well as having a tape deck and rear 10 disk cd changer. But like other reviewers I have experienced numerous repairs and the poor gas mileage that make the vehicle not worth owning. Repairs: several coolant leaks and had to replace driver side power window motor in addition to routine maintenance. Frustrated with poor gas mileage, memory seat malfunction, rubber coming off of doors,and lack of side window defogger. I prefer Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot

Major Disappointment - Don't buy one
By Monte on 12/09/09 22:20 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

After reading all of the reviews, I think I have experienced most of the issues. I purchased this vehicle new in Feb. 2002 and only have 75,000 miles on it 8 years later. It has been back to the dealer or repair shop of 14 occasion. List of Problems 1) Passenger side heater does not work. 2) Transmission has never shifted properly. 5 trips to dealer and still doesn't shift properly. 3) Rear axle replaced 4)Both window arm levers broke so windows wouldn't go back up. 5) Support arms for hood don't work. 6) Major vibration when turning (forward and reverse) 7)Lights come on when vehicle is off 8

Expected better
By KGB-Kenny on 02/16/09 05:32 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I'm seeing a lot of things on these reviews that I've experienced myself. Bought new in 2002 and have had problems with rotors/brakes too. Also the dual zone climate control door went bad (expensive to fix). Also hood struts went bad as well as the gas cap (you'll know when your engine light comes on)...I've seen these 2 problems a lot on reviews. Not sure the seat leather is actually leather - after a few years it gets a bit plastic-y. Also needs more leg room for the driver (I'm 6'2"). Overall it's not bad, but considering it sold for about $38k new I expected much better for my money.

Still Not Sure
By us6inks on 05/31/08 07:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car for my son in High School. Within the first week we had 2 windows go bad. Something snapped and they fell down. $450 to fix each one. I have brought it to the mechanic for other "squirrelly" moves as someone wrote earlier, I guess that's just a Jeep thing. I talked my husband into buying it as it was a good deal, it only had 62,000 miles on it for 7k. He will never let me live it down. The car clunks when you almost stop and start again. Had that checked, they could find nothing. The car vibrates and knocks when reversing. This will be our only Jeep. A/C is currently having problems, will be in the shop soon.