2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
2002 Overland
By crhoof on 09/01/14 21:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Jeep a little under a year ago an I've already up almost 20,000 miles on it. The truck now has 147,000 miles. I paid $5000 for the car and I've already almost put $3000 into it in work. The truck has no, NO, resale value.. NOT worth the 12.5 MPG I average.. Terrible jeep customer service, and no worth while recalls. I've had several wheel seals, drive shaft seals, speakers and heated seats replaced and Jeep says these are "not" common problems. It's pretty and comfortable but not worth time/money.. Save yourself and your money

Trend Bucking Laredo Delivers 220K Before Giving Up the Ghost
By steve_f1 on 07/26/14 12:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my GC new, in Aug, 2002. Its only options were side curtain airbags. It's finally giving up the ghost, as it's turning over to 220,000 miles. It's been the image of reliability. Replaced: Starter - 175K, 1 rear wheel bearing - 130K, power steering hose - 165K, 1 ignition coil - 143K. It burned a quart of oil every 4K until about 180k, when it began going through a quart every 5-600. It still starts instantly. Brakes? Of course. They went rumbly 17K, but I then had them turned on the vehicle, and they were good for another 50. I upgraded them to the later style calipers, and added ATE grooved rotors at 126K. Sadly, it's leaking and smoking badly now. New ride time.

Turning into a money pit
By cindy314 on 06/09/14 06:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first and only car. Was bought in 2005 or 6 with 40k-ish miles. Since then I have replaced the window regulator SEVEN times. Seriously learn to fix it yourself, the part costs about $70. Costs $300-400 at a mechanic. Fan relay broke once. Now the Throttle position sensor is jacked up and causing me to stall out while idling occasionally. Tail lights are just always out - honest to god I rigged it with tinfoil and that seems to work the longest. Battery seems to need replacing yearly. It has always groaned/vibrated when making slow tight turns no one seems to know what it is. All of the hydrolics for the lift gate/hood dont work. Basically, only buy it if you a fairly handy.

Great for a First Car!
By carguru12 on 05/25/14 18:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is my first car, and I purchased it with 134k miles on it. It's a great truck, has the power I need, and the fuel economy is good. The seats, although cloth, are plush and comfortable, and the standard stereo sounds pretty good. I specifically looked for a Jeep with the 4.0L I6 engine in it due to the reliability of it. I love my Jeep!

On last leg
By 300game67 on 03/25/14 18:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought ours in 2001 October. It stopped on us a year after we purchased it. It just stopped in the middle of the road but they fixed it. The maintenance cost started to get high in 2012, 2013 and so will be in 2014, with expected repair cost of 5000. We have 135K miles now and it still looks great inside and out but maintenance cost is going up. We are seriously thinking not to do any more repairs and just let it fall apart. What do you think?

Had a good one
By kellyspike on 07/20/12 13:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We must have been lucky, we had a pretty good experience with our jeep. At 86,000 miles it was smashed by a tree in our driveway. We had only spent money on brakes, tires and a water pump. Otherwise it ran great and filled our needs. I'm headed out looking for another one to replace ours. I"ve been looking at reviews and no matter what you own; people have trouble. Just try researching other cars! It's a shame manufacturers won't stand behind their cars when it's pretty obvious there are issues with some parts.

Looks Great! BUT ALWAYS IN THE MECHANICS
By kulik3192 on 03/28/12 13:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Loved the car as soon as I saw. I even paid STICKER PRICE!!!! I thought it was worth every penny. Not even 1 week in the check engine comes on.... I have put in almost more than 4-5K in some normal maintenance but some that are just annoying... For one thing it never starts right, always cranks over and over! I am one that hates when ppl ride their brakes, so I know I dont but the brake pads go so fast. I had to replace the routers three times already. Now its starting to stall on me. I just put 1500 into about two weeks ago and now the radiator just went the other day while i was driving. I ONLY HAVE 75,000 Miles on it. over a 100k would make sense. Looking to just trade it in, with a loss.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
By bebo33 on 01/04/12 15:44 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this used for my wife. She loves everything about it. Me? I hate sinking more money into a below average SUV. I've replaced driver and rear power window motors. I've replaced the radiator twice. Rear tail light circuit board went out. Air only blowed on defrost wouldn't blow on your face or feet, and its gets awful gas mileage for even an SUV. Bought it with 86K miles it now has 120K. I've done everything mentioned above in just over two years. My first Jeep was a 95 Wrangler that was great, but when the wife is ready for something newer we are going to pass the Jeep dealerships and look for something with fewer problems.

Love This Jeep!!!!
By zetzsche2002 on 12/05/11 11:45 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My Mom Bought me this Jeep in April-2011,Has the 4.7V8 powerful engine but Great gas mileage for a SUV.Great in the snow in 4X4 and still gets thought the snow in 2WD.I have put 12,000 mile on it since April-2011 and runs strong and no Problems(KNOCK ON WOOD)....I LOVE THIS JEEP..PLUS EASY TO MAINTAIN.

BUYER BEWARE - nothing but issues!
By lschulz on 10/24/11 21:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought fresh off the lot in 2002 for over 50 grand. Nothing but problems from the get go, and the dealership hoses you! Jeep has awful customer service. Though a nice looking vehicle on the outside, i've had the heat fixed twice now, A/C is on its third break. I swear, heat works in the summer and ac works in the winter. It started making an awful whirring sound and I noticed it was leaking fluids all over the driveway, took it to the dealer and they wanted over 6 THOUSAND DOLLARS to fix everything!! Turns out it was leaking coolant, power steering pump was cracked, and the gas caps seem to be famous for giving out on these. Now transmission is going..