Used 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 229 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

A Jeep is work and play.
By Warren

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased the Jeep with 75,000 miles on it. It had some problem. The things I have had to deal with are: $250 blower motor control unit, $650 radiator replacement. $95 electric door and window control repair, $450 brake repair. The Jeep has 95,000 miles on it now and it runs strong. The Good 18 - 24 MPG, good traction in snow and good ride on bad roads.

Worst car ever
By Ramsey Reed

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for 3 years now. I received it with 132,000 miles and one previous owner (an older couple). It is at 150,000 miles now and I have never seen a worse vehicle, and I'm a from a family of mechanics. I have been through 2 engines, 1 alternator, a new muffler, new catalytic converter, new engine chassis, new horn, rewired fuse box, new trim, new flywheel, 2 sets of rotors, countless hoses, new radiator, new ac unit, and now is stuck in first and second gear. This is obviously an awful car. I have never gone more than two weeks without an issue. Even now, it won't crank and smokes when it turns over. Save yourself the trouble and buy a newer model than the wj.

Great All Around
By Matt R

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Jeep is great. It has solid front and rear axles so it works great off and on road. The 4.0 L Straight Six has great low end torque to get you quick off the line and over rocks. The vehicle is body on frame which makes it very moddable so I installed a 4 inch lift to make it better offroad. Select-trac is great for offroad and snow and allows for very high traction in slippery situations. It starts and idles perfectly even at the sub zero temperatures we get here.

Overall I think it's a great vehicle.

Love my Jeep!
By Jack C

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2002 Jeep grand Cherokee since 2008 and it already had 67,000 miles on it. It is the straight 4.0 ltr 6. I now have 187,000 plus and it runs as great as the day I bought it. The most expensive part I had replaced was believe it or not the oil pan $600 as the old one piece that lets the drain plug screw into the weld broke loose and fell in the pan. I have replaced the starter also, but did that myself for just the part costing $145. I still use this truck everyday 25 miles each way back and forth to work. It is very easy to work on. I change the oil every 3000 miles and to be honest, I have never replaced the transmission fluid, but will do so soon. But this truck is like clockwork. starts up every day, drives smooth, it is a little noise, but I think if I had different tires it would be quieter. The heater still works great. The air cond just started to taper off and I will recharge. This truck is absolutely awesome in the snow and rain. I love the flexibility of the 4 wheel part and full time. I have never used the low, and do not take off road, but living new phila, we do get some extreme weather. I know a person that has over 500,000 on the same 4.0 engine. This is definitely a keeper. I did have a issue with the temp control that helps to regulate the eng temp. I was replacing ever year for 2 years and then I decided to replace myself. It is located on the passenger side wheel well behind the front Light. I replaced and found that they were not adding great under the module that prevents moisture from damaging the unit. I have now had the same part for 5 years with no issues. I recommend this truck to anyone.

2002 Overland
By crhoof

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my Jeep a little under a year ago an I've already up almost 20,000 miles on it. The truck now has 147,000 miles. I paid $5000 for the car and I've already almost put $3000 into it in work. The truck has no, NO, resale value..
NOT worth the 12.5 MPG I average.. Terrible jeep customer service, and no worth while recalls. I've had several wheel seals, drive shaft seals, speakers and heated seats replaced and Jeep says these are "not" common problems. It's pretty and comfortable but not worth time/money.. Save yourself and your money

Comfortable seats, interior/exterior design, high output motor, amount of aftermarket parts available, speed, ride quality

Terrible electronics, rust buckets, cheap transmission, annoying dual shifters, lack of cup holders, tight rear seat, expensive to maintain, poor gas mileage